•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem transmission stuck after clutch replacement

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

problem transmission stuck after clutch replacement

My throw out bearing died, I put on a new clutch kit plus output and crankshaft seals, and changed transmission fluid. Put back everithing together everything fitted well, but after i adjusted the shift linkage with 2x 5mm pins, It will only go in 3-4-5 speeds wich i've found weird. I've decided to put fluid back anyway and driveshafts to test it when running. I've started the motor, clutch works well but motor will stuck when i release clutch in gear. The differential works, when i turn one wheel the other turn the other way around. Both weels will only turn in the same direction when on neutral and clutch pedal pressed. It won't move if neutral and clutch not pressed neighter in 3-4-5 and clutch pressed, 1-2 won't get in. Motor turn free if neutral and clutch not pressed thus. Seems like something is stuck in the transmission but i did'nt touch anything in there and i've been pretty carfull to keep it clean aroundthe open gears. Anyone's got any idea what's wrong? Transmission was working properly before i changed the clutch, i did only remove pan to drain oil, visible gears seemed fine, oil was dark but particle free. It's an 07 aveo sedan with d16 transmission.

Please help.

Edit: Reverse won't go in too, wife told me that 1st and second gear were hard to shift in the hour before the bearing gave out completly. Transmission is out again, i guess i'll open it tomorrow...

Last edited by drynk; 03-11-2016 at 12:16 AM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Before you removed the transmission for the second time, did the wheels move when you had the clutch depressed and the trans in gear (clutch not fully disengaging)?

Before diagnosing it as an internal transmission problem, I would try replacing the slave cylinder. The slave may not be working fully and is not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. It can also be putting slight pressure on the throw-out bearing, which could have caused it to go bad.

Also, how old is the brake fluid in the reservoir/clutch lines? Again, mositure and air could have gotten into the fluid and could prevent the slave cylinder from working properly.

Is the clutch fork bent at all?

My money is on a bad slave cylinder.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      Wheels did not move if in gear, weels did not move in neutral if clutch was not pressed. Slave cylinder seems works well, i asked my wife to press the clutch pedal while i look and i saw the cylinder did it's job. With engine running, i pressed the clutch pedal and put in 3rd or 4th or 5th gear with clutch pedal down, while i release the pedal i feel the clutch working but the weels would'nt move and if i realease the pedal fully the motor dies. It would not engage in 3rd, 4th or 5th if i did not press the clutch. Nothing is is bent outside, i did not had to force anything when removing, replacing and removing again transmission, did not had accident, I carefully inspected transmission, shift link, slave cilynder, everything seems fine, everything move like it should, there is no leak brake oil is clean.
      With transmission removed the throwout bearing and finger to slave cilynder moves properly but transmission won't shift in reverse 1st and second gear, it will only engage in 3rd, 4th and 5th speed. The problem seems around there, I believe that nothing should pervent the transmission to engage in gears while transmission is on my bench.
      I've found is a little dent on the inside of the clutch componnent and another one on a balancing weight on the new pressure plate that was protuding too far maybe 1/32, i hammered the weight carfully and it should not touch anymore, that explain the few tick that i heard during the first few seconds after starting the motor but not the transmission not turning...

Thanks
      I've found the problem, don't understand how it happened tho... i opened the shift cover and gear cover and played with things trying to figure how it works, after a bit of playing I've found a rod than should move to put the reverse on, it looks like it was stuck on reverse position it, the part that moves it from the shift fork kind of disengaged from the place it should have been so it tried to go front and reverse at the same time, it also prevented the parts to move down enough to engage the 1st, 2nd and reverse gears. I'll try and post a few pics later on. I just feel like i'm becoming a master of the manual transmission.
      Last edited by drynk; 03-11-2016 at 03:53 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Interesting find. I hope it all works out!
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      Car is back up and running. Here is a few pictures with description. I'm not sure what could have caused that, except, well after a bit of thinking it must have been a gremlin.

Name:  IMG_2306[1].jpg
Views: 14199
Size:  226.8 KB
      The long finger on the left goes in the hollow part pointed by the screwdriver.

Name:  IMG_2307[1].jpg
Views: 8172
Size:  214.3 KB
      On the left is the rod that moves to put to reverse. It is now in front position when i opened the case it was not protuding.

Name:  IMG_2308[1].jpg
Views: 10837
Size:  257.3 KB
      Here we see the what move to change the gears. The small finger on the first piocture goes in the slot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drynk For This Useful Post:

eristocratic (08-20-2021)

Wants to develop manifold
      Thanks
      Did you take off your intake for this, or do you have a used intake gasket set? I need a set for research.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I watched a YouTube video on a Hyundai manual transmission . Your transmission looks similar .

Any idea if your transmission is related to the Hyundai manual transmission ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Sorry, no idea.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfICJKkLhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GjP2tMLVbQ

The
      Hyundai is Korean , as was the original AVEO . So , the transmissions may share some common heritage ?

God bless
      Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 03-15-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast