•  

Thread: Front Crossmember Assembly Frame Bolts Stuck - Power Steering Rack Replacement

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Unhappy Front Crossmember Assembly Frame Bolts Stuck - Power Steering Rack Replacement

2004 Aveo Hatch
      Manual

Hi! I am hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on this issue. I just had the Aveo's plastic idler pulley break while pulling onto the highway and the timing belt slipped and ruined an engine. I had the engine replaced. The very next day while parking the car at the mechanics shop (so he could adjust the manual transmission shifter linkage which was not correct after finishing the engine replacement) my power steering rack exploded fluid out the passenger side bellows. Awesome!

I don't have all that much money free after replacing the engine so I purchase a refurbished power steering rack from the place that the mechanic suggested (and catch the extra two hundred the person at the parts store added to my bill and then magically found an issue with the system where he COULD sell me the part for the originally quoted price. Hm.)

Start working to replace the power steering rack following this simplified guide ( | Repair Guides | Power Rack & Pinion Steering Gear | Removal & Installation | AutoZone.com ) and the service manual.

I cant get the power steering feed and return lines off the rack first since there is no room. I go to lower the front crossmember assembly to lower the steering rack a few inches so I can complete a full rotation with my wrench on the power steering feed lines.

The rearmost passenger side bolt from the crossmember assembly comes free with the expected force on a breaker bar. The drivers side bolt no such luck. Eventually I put enough force on this bolt to rotate the entire bushing. I am assuming the captive bolt inside the frame is spinning free.

The mechanic won't touch it. The first alignment frame shop I called wont touch it.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? One frozen bolt can't really kill my chances of fixing this car can it?

I read someone with another make of car mentioned cutting through the floor from the drivers side above the bolt to get a hold of the frozen nut that way. Is that possible at all with an Aveo? My mechanic mentioned I may have to cut through more than one sheet of metal to get down to the frame. Is the frame even going to be opened on that side or would I then also have to cut through the actual frame? There are too many questions there for me to be comfortable even trying.

Shouldn't a a frame and alignment collision shop be able to do something with this? Anyone here have any experience?

Sorry for the long post. Really hoping someone has some ideas! I can get some pictures if anyone needs me to.

This is a link to an ebay sale of the crossmember I need to remove. One of the rearmost bolts spins in place under extreme force.

04 06 Chevrolet Aveo Engine Crossmember Front Cradle Subframe Lower Control Arms | eBay

Thanks!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Suggestion List

1) Use an impact hammer instead of a torque bar
      2) Spray and Soak Heavy-Duty Rust Penetrant on the area
      3) Cut/drill the head off and maybe better access to the nut.
      4) Once access to the nut give a weld
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Hi xintersecty! Thanks so much for replying!

The impact gun I have doesn't seem to come close to having enough force for the stuck bolt. Also, the mechanic that inspected it and tried to get it off thought it was frozen and was surprised when I told him I had turned it. I am assuming he hit it with everything he had impact wise. I guess I could try to heat it and use the impact but I don't want the rubber mount to get damaged. Does anyone know what part the rubber mount is to replace?

I have soaked with liquid wrench multiple times. I will continue to do so. Is there a better product in your opinion?

The other (free, passenger side) bolt feels like the nut is inside the frame in a cage rather than being welded. I will try to take the passenger side off and investigate if I would be able to access and weld the nut at all from the underside. It will be difficult to see since I will have to pry it away from the frame to get any look at all!

Still open to anybody else's ideas as well!

Thanks again, xintersecty!!!! Your car looks great by the way!

Thanks
      Update: I found a frame shop that will look at it next week! Here's hoping they have what it takes. I would still love any input regarding this!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      From the schematic you must be talking about item 26
      Name:  front stearing part 1.jpg
Views: 6989
Size:  136.4 KB
      Name:  front end call out 1.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  102.8 KB
      Name:  front end call out 2.jpg
Views: 3805
Size:  174.6 KB

If that is so and it's moving, keep wrenching it until it breaks completely OR just cut that head off and deal with it later.

And Thanks for complements on my car!

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....