•  
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Miles per gallon went up

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      So here's what I want to know: what are the ingredients in SeaFoam? Other than its clever name, what is it that makes it alluring? Does it actually foam? Is it water-based?.

Some people find quotes of what they said disturbing because they are actual and factual - unlike fabrication and spin about what was actually stated.
      lmao. If you had an unsharpened pencil and no pencil sharpener and had to write something on paper you probably have no clue you could sharpen the pencil with your pocket knife.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      This quote is from a very long but interesting and relevant article about additives:

The Psychological Placebo

You have to wonder, with the volume of evidence accumulating against
      oil additives, why so many of us still buy them. That’s the
      million-dollar question, and it’s just as difficult to answer as why
      so many of us smoke cigarettes, drink hard liquor or engage in any
      other number of questionable activities. We know they aren’t good for
      us – but we go ahead and do them anyway.
      Part of the answer may lie in what some psychiatrists call the
      "psychological placebo effect." Simply put, that means that many of
      us hunger for that peace of mind that comes with believing we have
      purchased the absolute best or most protection we can possibly get.
      Even better, there’s that wonderfully smug feeling that comes
      with thinking we might be a step ahead of the pack, possessing
      knowledge of something just a bit better than everyone else.
      Then again, perhaps it comes from an ancient, deep-seated need
      we all seem to have to believe in magic. There has never been any
      shortage of unscrupulous types ready to cash in on our willingness to
      believe that there’s some magical mystery potion we can buy to help
      us lose weight, grow hair, attract the opposite sex or make our
      engines run longer and better. I doubt that there’s a one of us who
      hasn’t fallen for one of these at least once in our lifetimes. We
      just want it to be true so bad that we can’t help ourselves.
      Testimonial Hype vs. Scientific Analysis

In general, most producers of oil additives rely on personal
      "testimonials" to advertise and promote their products. A typical
      print advertisement will be one or more letters from a satisfied
      customer stating something like, "1 have used Brand X in my engine
      for 2 years and 50,000 miles and it runs smoother and gets better
      gas mileage than ever before. I love this product and would recommend
      it to anyone."
      Such evidence is referred to as "anecdotal" and is most commonly
      used to pro mote such things as miracle weight loss diets and
      astrology.
      Whenever I see one of these ads I am reminded of a stunt played
      out several years ago by Allen Funt of "Candid Camera" that clearly
      demonstrated the side of human nature that makes such advertising
      possible.
      With cameras in full view, fake "product demonstrators" would
      offer people passing through a grocery store the opportunity to
      taste-test a "new soft drink." What the victims didn’t know was that
      they were being given a horrendous concoction of castor oil, garlic
      juice, tabasco sauce and several other foul-tasting ingredients.
      After taking a nice, big swallow, as instructed by the demonstrators,
      the unwitting victims provided huge laughs for the audience by
      desperately trying to conceal their anguish and . Some
      literally turned away from the cameras and spit the offending potion
      on the floor.
      The fascinating part came when about one out of four of the
      victims would actu ally turn back to the cameras and proclaim the new
      drink was "Great" or "Unique" or, in several cases, "One of the best
      things I’ve ever tasted!" Go figure.
      The point is, compiling "personal testimonials" for a product is
      one of the easiest things an advertising company can do – and one of
      the safest, too. You see, as long as they are only expressing some
      one else’s personal opinion, they don’t have to prove a thing! It’s
      just an opinion, and needs no basis in fact whatsoever.
      SeaFoam is in the solvents category of additive. That's a fact.

For those who want to read the entire article, here's the link:
      Snake Oil! - Is That Additive Really A Negative? - Ford Trucks

Thanks
      This quote is from a very long but interesting and relevant article about additives:

SeaFoam is in the solvents category of additive. That's a fact.

For those who want to read the entire article, here's the link:
      Snake Oil! - Is That Additive Really A Negative? - Ford Trucks
      Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isopropyl alcohol is miscible in water, alcohol, ether and chloroform. It will dissolve ethyl cellulose, polyvinyl butyral, many oils, alkaloids, gums and natural resins.
      absorbs water.

Naphtha Uses | eHow

Specialty naphthas give rise to a number of products used as solvents, like cleaning fluids,
      Ot also contains a light lubricaring oil, that's self explaining.

You ou need to prove to people how these ingredients are detrimental to a fuel system. Cleaning varnish and gums while removing water is somehow negative? As you claim.

Pretty sure you have never seen the gum and varnishes today's gas deposits in a fuel system. The ethanol loves absorbing water straight from the air.

Do you contend gas leaves the whole fuel system completely clean and devoid ot water? Lmao again. You got some learning to do.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Provocateurs cannot resist exposing themselves.

Thanks
      Provocateurs cannot resist exposing themselves.
      Youve done well exposing yourself.

I am am capable of understanding and comprehending the benefits of removing water from gas, and varnish and gums from injectors and fuels systems.

You must explain how this could not help. Then tell us how it's just gas foaming water. You said it, not me.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      The light lubricating oil might have been good in the 70s for cars when leaded gas was taken off the market.. In modern cars, with hardened valves, valve seats, etc it does not need a lubrication. The oil can also foul out o2 sensors and be detrimental to catalytic converters over time.

the water absorbing aspect "Sounds" like a good thing, but modern day gas station equipment shuts off at the touch of water going to the pump. While there is still water the leeches into the ground takes, most are measured and drained at particular heights so not to enter the rest of the fuel dispensing system. So it is not needed if you get gas from a good gas station, or even a bad gas station with a high turnover of product. There is more moisture in the air than in the gas.. I would only add a water miscible product to a gas tank if the car has been sitting or will be sitting. (like a lawn mower, or snow blower neither have a cat) but it would be better to run them dry with the additive in it before they sit, and add fresh gas to restart them come time to use them.

The isopropyl alcohol is not as clean as denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol is a clean burning fuel that will also clean your system, clean burning saves the cat (supposedly not saying you should do it). I have used denatured alcohol to get cars started that have been sitting a long time, to bar moisture issues. isopropyl is more of a cleaning agent, and leaves residue when burned. It will clog the cat over time with multiple use, the residue will also appear as tarnish on the very parts you are trying to clean. It faults itself.

IMHO you old be better off without the seafoam and just run denatured alcohol to clean the system. But your the seafoam salesman, or expert.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      The light lubricating oil might have been good in the 70s for cars when leaded gas was taken off the market.. In modern cars, with hardened valves, valve seats, etc it does not need a lubrication. The oil can also foul out o2 sensors and be detrimental to catalytic converters over time.

the water absorbing aspect "Sounds" like a good thing, but modern day gas station equipment shuts off at the touch of water going to the pump. While there is still water the leeches into the ground takes, most are measured and drained at particular heights so not to enter the rest of the fuel dispensing system. So it is not needed if you get gas from a good gas station, or even a bad gas station with a high turnover of product. There is more moisture in the air than in the gas.. I would only add a water miscible product to a gas tank if the car has been sitting or will be sitting. (like a lawn mower, or snow blower neither have a cat) but it would be better to run them dry with the additive in it before they sit, and add fresh gas to restart them come time to use them.

The isopropyl alcohol is not as clean as denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol is a clean burning fuel that will also clean your system, clean burning saves the cat (supposedly not saying you should do it). I have used denatured alcohol to get cars started that have been sitting a long time, to bar moisture issues. isopropyl is more of a cleaning agent, and leaves residue when burned. It will clog the cat over time with multiple use, the residue will also appear as tarnish on the very parts you are trying to clean. It faults itself.

IMHO you old be better off without the seafoam and just run denatured alcohol to clean the system. But your the seafoam salesman, or expert.

Nope. You seem to be the expert. Them valves and seats don't need the light lubricaring oil. I'm sure the fuel pump loves it though, and if you know how injectors work then you would know they like some light lubricarion. I never mentioned the valves or seats. You did. I only previously mentioned injectors liking some lube. A well working clean injector will provide better effeciency. If you claim otherwise then you must prove a dirty unlubricted one is better. It's the only positive quality to lube I mentioned. Keep it on topic.

Now You add your half pence like someone else and try to tell everyone I use it every fill up and one more time half way between fill ups. The car has seen a bottle in 100,000 miles. So I don't fall into the you use it too much. You people have an odd agenda around here. Borderline idiocracy. Read the post, comprehend the content and move on. You and your buddy don't need to tell everyone I have used it since day one and I over use it. Read the post, absorb the info. Now adjust your comments to one time use in 100,000 miles and the mileage increase. Also your moisture comment. That's at the pump. The tank vents air into the system, the gas volume is not replaced by a vacuum when it is pumped into the engine. Over 100,000 miles, every tank will have water in it.

so what's your point? Also qualify your statement of denatured is better. If it were I'm sure it would be sold as such. So you sound like a shade tree mechanic or witch craft doctor telling someone dried ground toad testicals snorted will cure cancer.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      No one can argue with your logic, its splinter skilled in nature. Your have to be right, so you are right. Its like pouring bleach on my black shirt to get rid of a stain, the stain disappears so my logic is right. EVERYBODY USE BLEACH on their stains too! I only got one stain in the 100 times I wore the shirt so its ok to use bleach. Never mind everyone else notices the bleach ate through the rest of the shirt, and its now white. The stain is gone, so everyone should use bleach because it took the stain away like I said.

My point is your taking a product that was developed 70 years ago, for things manufactured 70 years ago. And remains unchanged and is only relevant in the minds of people who believe it works. There is no before and after proof, anywhere. No one tears apart an engine to show how dirty it is and reassemble it and just to run seafoam, and tear it back down to prove it worked. It only "helps" clean the engine, just like a politician "creates" jobs, vaccines "cause" autism, and Obama "won" the war in iraq.

70 years old, and "helps" From the source:

Sea Foam Makes People's Lives Easier; Story to be Told on Angling Edge TV - Sea Foam Sales Company

I going to go buy seafoam for all my cars right now. Not because it will do anything, but because you said it works.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Me and my friends all jumped off of bridges while we smoked. It was cool.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      damn, i missed the party

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast