•  
    Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miles per gallon went up

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Miles per gallon went up

Over the weekend I did a mileage check. Took the family on a mid winter weekend vacation. Over exactly 100 one way miles of driving in 15-20F temps at 75 to occasional 70mph I got 38.4mpg. Auto trans four door 2008 loaded down with family and gear for three days. Never had it do that good.

only things I did different was 3.000 miles ago I put seafoam in the oil and (directions followed to the T) drove it 100 or so miles then changed to valvoline full synthetic high mileage. I also did a seafoam to the gas a couple tanks before the trip. The car has a total of 99,500 miles.

nothing else has changed. I know the seafoam made it run more smooth and it had to clean out the fuel system as well. The oil might make a small difference but that's 4.1 mpg better than every other trip it went on.

Just thought I would throw it out there that seafoam clean in the oil and in the gas works if you follow the directions. The oil may have made a difference but like I said. Oil won't makthat huge of a difference.

Thanks
      Thats cool. I try to do seafoam or an injector cleaner every year or so just to keep things cleaned up.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Thats cool. I try to do seafoam or an injector cleaner every year or so just to keep things cleaned up.
      I have used other injector cleaners with zero results. I tried seafoam an a what the heck can it hurt attitude in my Harley and was happy with it meeting claims. It far exceeds anything I thought it could do for the car though. That is not a fluke. I am somewhat satisfied with the cost to results ratio of seafoam. My intake is clean so I don't do the brake boost method but it cleaned up the engine from use in the oil and putting it in the gas.

Just thoight I'd put it out there for anyone with a getting up in miles aveo. The valvoline full syn high mileage don't burn a drop either. Great oil for this snowy cold winter we are having this year.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Boris Bush View Post
      I have used other injector cleaners with zero results. I tried seafoam an a what the heck can it hurt attitude in my Harley and was happy with it meeting claims. It far exceeds anything I thought it could do for the car though. That is not a fluke. I am somewhat satisfied with the cost to results ratio of seafoam. My intake is clean so I don't do the brake boost method but it cleaned up the engine from use in the oil and putting it in the gas.

Just thoight I'd put it out there for anyone with a getting up in miles aveo. The valvoline full syn high mileage don't burn a drop either. Great oil for this snowy cold winter we are having this year.
      So here's what I want to know: what are the ingredients in SeaFoam? Other than its clever name, what is it that makes it alluring? Does it actually foam? Is it water-based? Why is this automotive additive called Sea Foam?

The "what the heck can it hurt" approach is what sells patent medicine (AKA snake oil) and automotive additives. If you believe in anything strongly enough, you will become convinced that it works, and you will try to convince others of its effectiveness.

I understand what fuel injector cleaner is. I understand what carburetor cleaner is. Some additives are straightforward and have proven to be effective. I even remember Marvel Mystery Oil, and it's probably still being marketed and sold today. That product was as much an alluring additive as Sea Foam now is, but Sea Foam isn't currently touted as being blatantly "mysterious". I haven't needed to use Sea Foam, and I'm not about to waste my $$$ on it. All my decades-old cars run as well as new without using it. That's not only a fact, but also my personal observation based upon 45 years of car ownership and driving experience.

I agree, using it or virtually any additive can't hurt. But that doesn't mean that it helps anything, either.

"Ya gotta believe..."

Okay, believe what you want to believe. But let's not confuse belief with fact.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:

06T200 (02-04-2015)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      So here's what I want to know: what are the ingredients in SeaFoam? Other than its clever name, what is it that makes it alluring? Does it actually foam? Is it water-based? Why is this automotive additive called Sea Foam?
      at first I laughed pretty hard at your post. This first paragraph pretty much says I have no clue what I'm talking about so don't waste the time to read the rest of the reply.

The CAS numbers to every chemical in it is right on the can. First problem you seem to have is, you don't know what a CAS number is. You must first learn what they are and what them chemicals do for water emulsion in gas and what they do to clean varnish and sludge. After that you will know the benefits of each chemical in it. You seem to think it is water based because seafoam is on water, well naturally occurring seafoam is not water. It is hydrogen peroxide, and it foams on the beach, hence the name.

My aveo, just like every other car, truck, motorcycle I have owned is maintained better than it should be. This is the first time I tried it. So after 5 full tanks and getting an actual logged 44 miles more per tank at today's low gas prices I have saved $$. Just did the math. The can costed me $6.89. Now in your world this may be wasting money, not in mine.

I am am not some bubba just spewing BS and regurgitating an advertisement. I am telling you my 99,500 mile aveo is getting 4+mpg better after a single use in the gas tank. This may be hard for you to understand, but as I sit here logged into reality it looks pretty good to me. Saving $7.58 so far May not be a big deal to you, but it is to me, especially that I plan to use it again when mileage looks like it is starting to drop again.

I am just clueing in some members into something that might also help them. I fully expect it to fail miserably if people expect it to fix mechanical issues due to abuse. Nothing in a can will fix a car. But a well maintained high mileage one might see the same gain I did. This is what my concept of any forum is. We share those things that can help, and share things that will hurt. If I seen a drop I would have made the same post, just letting people know it hurt instead of help.
      Last edited by Boris Bush; 02-04-2015 at 01:44 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boris Bush For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (02-04-2015),Lazagna (02-04-2015)

Thanks
      Thanks for the tip Boris! One of the rare seafoam stories that actually has a positive conclusion - for a change. Any effort to clean the injectors (on the bench, or additives) can help restore a clean spray pattern and this can add on an MPG or so. But you can do this with any cleaner product, even straight kerosene, which is the main ingredient in most of these 'products'.

Here is one comparison showing what chemical cocktails are in these 'snake oils'. Comparision of some injector cleaner ingredients | Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline and Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

and the main ingredient in seafoam?? Naphtha - good ol lighter fluid! I would guess the additive packages in most pump gasoline (at least here in CA) contain many of the same ingredients.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 06T200 For This Useful Post:

Boris Bush (02-05-2015)

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Boris Bush View Post
      at first I laughed pretty hard at your post. This first paragraph pretty much says I have no clue what I'm talking about so don't waste the time to read the rest of the reply.
      Your response sounds unnecessarily defensive. Questioning and lack of agreement might bring discomfort, but those who are confident and secure in their stated positions will not act as though they are being threatened by skepticism or doubt that is raised. I'm not attacking you. I'm questioning the validity and effectiveness of a product and your belief in it.

I accept that the SeaFoam worked for you. I never said that it couldn't possibly work. I questioned its ingredients and the manner in which it is being marketed.

What I am saying is that it's just one of many automotive additives of dubious value. Additives are usually bought by people hoping for a quick fix and a cheap solution for a problem that is often expensive and irremediable. The auto parts stores have shelves full of such additives. Some do work. Some will never work. And some work some of the time, depending upon the circumstances.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Your response sounds unnecessarily defensive. Questioning and lack of agreement might bring discomfort, but those who are confident and secure in their stated positions will not act as though they are being threatened by skepticism or doubt that is raised. I'm not attacking you. I'm questioning the validity and effectiveness of a product and your belief in it.

I accept that the SeaFoam worked for you. I never said that it couldn't possibly work. I questioned its ingredients and the manner in which it is being marketed.

What I am saying is that it's just one of many automotive additives of dubious value. Additives are usually bought by people hoping for a quick fix and a cheap solution for a problem that is often expensive and irremediable. The auto parts stores have shelves full of such additives. Some do work. Some will never work. And some work some of the time, depending upon the circumstances.
      well Thymeclock, Seafoam has a Copy of the SDS Sheet in PDF Form right here: http://seafoamsales.com/wp-content/u...seafoam_EN.pdf

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      What was the direction and speed of the wind on your one-way trip? That could have had an influence on your numbers.

Thanks

You just out did yourself. You question the validity of what it did for me. You qualified yourself in your first reply with your first question. The one where you have no clue what's in the bottle, despite it being clearly printed on the bottle exactly what's in it. You question me after you say it's just foaming water in a bottle, and you question me? Heck man, you are the one who needs to be questioned.

I am questioning the validity of you even questioning the results I got based on you flat out told everyone you have no clue why, but you don't believe it because you can't read a can, and then declare its just a gas foaming water in the can lmao.

Ok dude. Guess you taught me good. Guess saving money is stupid and just snake oil advice sharing it with others.

So before you try to dispute someone dude, you need to qualify your reasoning and make statements based on fact. You can't just dispute just because you want to.

FYI, the burden of defense is on you. You are the one making defensive statements, I don't need to defend my actual real world findings.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast