•  
    Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a DIY A/C install! AC

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      So the dealer programmed the ECM to adjust the throttle on the engine. However, they couldn't get the AC to work.

I have been troubleshooting it myself and this is what I have found:

If I jump the AC relay, the compressor kicks in, and I get nice cold air. I know the relay is not broken cause I tested it. There is something that switches the relay "on" (or energizes it), but whatever that is, it isn't switching the relay on.

Any thoughts what that might be?

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      What do you mean "programmed the ECM"?

There is just an option in the BCM under the IPC in the Tech2 menu to switch AC to yes or something like that. If the dealer had to get a new program from GM, it sounds like an ECM firmware update, not an AC activation.

Where are you located?
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      The dealer told me that they had to get a a program from GM in order to adjust the throttle. They were able to do that, but when it came to changing the IPC there was no option for AC!! They said they were on the phone with GM for 4 hours trying to figure out why there was no AC option. They also said the computer was programmed as a automatic, but the car is manual. From all this, they suspect that whoever initially setup the computer royally screwed up. The only thing they said they could do from this point was to replace the entire EMC and IPC. I asked if they could just reinstall the entire computer's programming and they said that's not possible.

So you can imagine at this point, after an additional $200 to adjust the throttle, I am very frustrated. I love this car but I can't afford to replace the entire EMC and IPC. So I go home and take the AC relay out and installed a switch between the 30 and 86 prongs. I start the car, click the switch, the compressor engages and i am getting nice cold air! And then..... About 1 min after the compressor engaged... BAMMM!! Something popped and vapor is gushing out everywhere engulfing the entire car in a cloud of gas.

After the smoke clears I check things out. All the seals on the piping looked fine but there was oil on the compressor and splattered around surrounding area. I am assuming the compressor pretty much exploded.

Isn't the compressor meant to run continuously for several minutes??

P.S. the radiator fans are not coming on when the compressor is on. Usually those fans are suppose to go on when the compressor is on.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. I have already put close to $800 into this project and so far I still don't have AC.

I am located in charleston, sc. I bought the car in NY.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      It sounds like the pressure valve you used was bad, and the compressor built up pressure until something let go.
      The ecu is what turns on the fans, bypassing the things you did and installing a switch eliminated all the safeties you would have had. I am not sure about the dealer issue, i would suggest checking part numbers on the ecu, and running that against your options, if that is really the issue, then buy a cheap ecu with the right options and put it in, hoping you didnt destroy the system with what ever popped.

Thanks

intructions

Do you still have the directions for installing the A/C. I have all the parts from a wrecked 09. Getting ready to install!!

Quote Originally Posted by 67ss350camaro View Post
      Ok I just got done installing the A/C kit (GM PART # 96992824) on my 09. The car already had the C66 option. Not to bad to install, but the big "got you" was that I still had to take the car to a shop that had a Tech 2 scanner to enable the A/C. I found an independent shop to enable it for me, but it cost me $65 + tax. I have all of the part numbers for the parts that were in the kit and the directions (all pictures, no wording). If anyone is interested let me know.
      Daniel

Thanks
      not sure about the additional cooling fan. wasnt aware the one with factory a/c came with 2 fans....

Thanks
      do you still have the directions for the a/c kit install??

Thanks
      got the parts off a wrecked 09. The parts puller had to pull them of course. I was there watching. Sorry I kept asking. Still trying to learn how to use these forums. I am going to install today and it doesnt look that hard. I dont have the new climate control yet, still looking for that part...thanks, Kevin

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      going to the junkyard sometime this week to remove an AC system from a 2005 sedan, i have a 2008 first gen hatchback. is there any thing i should know beforehand about removing it? the extent of my engine work is oil changes and cold air intake haha any info for this removal would be much appreciated thanks !

Thanks
      Sorry - I travel alot for my work and I dont get these until later. You may have already got the parts. If not, then as you prob know take metric wrench's from 10mm to 15mm along with a socket set. Its rather simple and you should have any trouble as long as you know lefty loosey righty tighty!!! Make sure the freon is drained...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast