•  
    Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: We need a DIY A/C install! AC

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hmm. Now thats something I never thought of. Well I may have to do it and only use it while driving - just hook a temp toggle switch. It very well could be 3 weeks before I can get it to a service shop and I use this car for work, driving as many as 18 hrs a day.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Really great info on the a/c install. Cost me $1100 to have mine done 6 years ago on my 06 orange one. Does anyone have any info on installing the aux cooling fan in the a/c. mine went out and I need to replace mine.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you mean on the radiator?

Thanks

A/C less cool at idle then when driving

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      you mean on the radiator?
      I took my Aveo to an A/C delco where the A/C was installed 6 years ago as the a/c quit working. They noted a problem with the fuse box moutning and wiring that they fixed and that got the A/C going again but said that the "Aux cooling Fan" needs to be replaced. The A/C will blow ice cold while driving it but dies down when in idle or stopped. I thought he said the "A/C Aux cooling fan" or is it one and the same. I dont know. Again A/C blows cold when driving but when stopped the air blows but the temp in the car warms up till you get going again.

Any help is appreciated. His charge to fix it is $220.00.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it is one in the same. The fan will run while stopped to keep the AC cool, blowing the heat off the condenser.

2005 2006 2007 2008 Chevy Aveo Radiator Cooling Fan Assembly on eBay!

you could buy one off ebay and install it, but you need to know if the problem is electrical or the fan itself. It sounds more like an electrical issue based on the information you provided. To be 100% sure the problem is the fan itself, I would test it by unplugging it and providing 12v to the prongs to turn it on. If it runs then the issue is not the fan.

You can do the same in the opposite, but using the plug wiring to run something else, or test for power at the plug with a multimeter. I would hope the mechanic has already done this to verify his repair quote.

Thanks
      Have read through all of the AC threads. Great stuff. Still looking for a bit of specific information. Need to install new compressor in 04. Trying to determine if I can get the old compressor out and the new one in without removing fan? Have worked on AC systems on Ford trucks so I know the DOs and DON'Ts on vacuum, recharging, etc. Have never worked on small car sytem where everything is a tight fit. Thanks!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i think you should be able to, take it in through the bottom?

if you can get it out, then you can get it in. if you cant get it out, stop and pull the fan.

Thanks
      Very easy as it turned out. No fan removal. Did find it simpler to use ramps to get at everything from underneath, and about 30 inches of socket extensions and air tools to remove old mounting bolts. Whole task from the time I started until I had the compressor replaced, new belt on and a vacuum suffient to give the sytem a good recharge was a bit more than an hour and a half.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      thanks a lot I used the flow chart to configure the A/C and everything is ok except that the engine rattling little bet in idle only. What I need idle learning or TBS cleaning?
      thanks a lot for everyone in this post.
      Last edited by drmagieed; 07-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
      I just installed the parts needed to finish the a/c install on my 2010 Aveo.I cannot get it to work.I used a tech 2 tool to turn it on and it still wouldn't work.I took it to the dealer and they spent a lot of time on the phone with GM and it still doesn't work.The car came with the C66 option so there has to be a way to fix it.I don't know what else to do.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast