•  
    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a DIY A/C install! AC

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i just got all my ac stuff except for climate control and one line for 150.00 from Nordstrom automotive off a 12000 mile 09 or 10
      all my stuff was clean ..plus they will work with ya too
      just a great place to do business ..google em up and get some A/C IN YOUR RIDE.
      last summer i installed climate control wen i put in new radio
      i bought it for 30 bucks on ebay ,,i also have an apprentice lol my neighbor who is one of the best technicians i know hes installling it for 50.00
      so 150.00
      n parts
      at least anothr 110 in a new line and a bolt and
      and top have ecm hit
      not too shabby for 350.00
      or less
      woohoo i will have cold ac
      install looks easy
      if i can small block an s-10
      i can do this
      but sometimes i just get tired of working
      they even gave me the belt and bolts

Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by dlc70; 12-01-2010 at 05:08 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      which line do you need? the long one that goes to the dash? i have one extra.. (i also have both of the front lines for the first gen etecII engine)

Thanks
      its one of the lines of the two that bolt to compressor i think its the one to dryer ill check and make sure
      i bet 1st gen one would work fine even if compressor changed (becaus i bet gm reused same lines-thety conserv alot)
      what do u want for it
      let me know
      304 439-1683

Thanks

wow ,,something easy

i need the line to the right of the compressor in your illustration ...ill trade a 6 mnth old set of h&r springs for it even up ,,all i ask is is who ever trades just pay shipping ,,and if its over 20.00 ill pay difference

i took a vacation day tomorow ,,so i decided id get some of my stuff boltd up
      wow ,,its so dern easy ,,,i had compressor on and belts changed in just over an hour(on ramps with wheel on too)
      anyone who dsnt have a/c shouldnt b afraid to tackle it ,,its dern easy..and u can sav a lil cash while taking pride in doing it yourself
      i dont like the low power of the eco tec(i have a quik 06 aveo)but its easier to work on ,,u dont ecven need a special tool for serpentine tensioner ,,it has a nub for a box end wrench ..i was shocked at how easy it is so far
      just as easy as a brake pad change i think
      ..so guys and gals ,,go get some a/c
      "u Can DO iT"

[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I did it all on my own for the buying parts and installation for my 2008 Aveo Hatchback. I want to help smooth out all the questions for installation.
      First most of the parts are on ebay. The hardest parts that I could find were the metal lines that went to each of the parts. The items you will not need is an evaporator, blower motor of any type, the expansion valve (if you look at the firewall, behind the firewall is the valve with a protective cover and a single hex nut to keep a grey plastic cover over the valve). You will need all of the items listed in the picture in the previous post and a new control panel for your dash with the AC button.

My first thing I installed was the control panel. There are two slim plastic pieces on the side of the air control panel that extends up to the top of the CD unit. Take it off. There are two sets of screws on either side of the air unit that hold it into place. Once done pull the unit out slightly. As you can see there is two wiring harnesses connected to the box as well as a grey and a black tube that seems to go deep into the dash. If you look under the driver side, above the gas peddle is where there is a screw that holds them into the dash. Remember which tube connected with which actuator also what path it took to get from unit to actuator. Remove this and the wiring harness and remove the unit. Replace using reverse technique.

Next I installed the compressor (really it’s up to you on what steps you want to go first.) Note: if you buy a used compressor, it would be advised to empty the oil out of the compressor and fill it with new fluid to the recommended level). A good idea for installation would be to lift the front of the car and take off the passenger side tire as you will need to get access behind the wheel well it for taking off and putting on the serpentine belt. To take off the serpentine, remove the plastic wheel well and use a ratchet from the underside to rotate the idler pulley toward the back of the car. Once the belt is off, there is another idler pulley towards the front of the car where the compressor should be. The idler should be held on by three bolts. I threw away both the pulley and bolts as they are useless, unless you want to switch back to no A/C.
      Installation of the new pump was not too hard. Tighten the bolts to the recommended torque, and plug in the wire harness that is usually strapped to the radiator housing right near where the compressor should be. Then put back the serpentine belt back on.
      Next I installed the pipe from the firewall to the compressor and to where the condenser and air dryer should go. Note, I would strongly suggest doing it this way first, because when the condenser is installed, it’s really tricky to work with the small space to get the piping to align with the condenser holes and not ruin the seals. When putting in the piping, taking out the air box and intake tube also makes life a little easier. If you get confused as to where the piping is supposed to lie, the inside frame has threaded metal where it’s supposed to be bolted to the body.
      Now, with the piping installed, its time for the condenser. I found this to be the hardest and longest portion of the install. In order to do this, you either have to take the bumper off, or partially off and slip it up from under the bumper. I took it partially off, but its worth taking it off to avoid a lot of hassle. To do this, first take off the grill by unscrewing the three black screws. Under the grill is a couple of bigger screws for plastic pieces. Next I unbolted the headlights and pulled them out. I then unscrewed the plastic wheel wells to get access to the turn signal screws from the back. Undo those and wiggle the turn signals out as there is another crucial screw underneath them. Once that screw was taken out, there are three screws on the top of the slits along the bottom that attach to the metal part of the bumper (Very hard to take out if you don’t have a screwdriver with a u-joint head). From there, I think there are a couple more bolts to take off and the bumper should be easy to take off. To get the condenser in, you have to unbolt the power steering reservoir, and radiator. The condenser should slide up and if you push the top of the radiator back, it should slip up far enough to allow the bottom rubber grommets to clear the metal bar and then sit on the same rail as the radiator is sitting. The grommets should neatly seat into two holes already cut out into the frame. Also the top circular grommets should fit into two threaded screws attached to the frame as well.
      Install the piping to the condenser and reinstall the power steering reservoir, the installation of the AC should be complete. Now put everything back together. Now the last thing left is to vacuum the system and charge it. I got it done at my local auto shop. The Aveo does not need much refrigerant as other vehicles so the cost should be minimal. I didn’t keep tract of the cost for the charge as I was excited not to sweat like I was on the surface of the sun.
      Overall this project is hard and will need determination, money, and time to complete. In the end, it will cost less than the 90 per hour mechanics, and will make you satisfied with your product.
      Final note: I have the manual version of the Aveo. For those who have one and can sympathize with the slow return of RPMs when shifting, turning on the AC hastens this 2x the original time for synced RPM shifts.

Here are some links to pictures

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/..._headlight.jpg
      http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/.../aveogrill.jpg
      http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCF9215.jpg
      http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...latevalves.jpg
      http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCF9208.jpg

Thanks
      rollinrubber - Great post, I was just going to post something similar. I just got done installing my system on my 08 hatch SV. I opted to remove the radiator and installed the condenser from the engine side, it went in pretty easy. Also while I was putting in the A/C control I added my cruise switch (photo). Here’s my cost. Compressor (used) $45, lines (used) $10, control (used) $15, condenser (RockAuto) $74, cruise control (RockAuto) $30, PAG-46 oil (Advance Auto) $10. I was able to use the charge station at work to vacuum it down and add the R134 so that didn’t cost me. Also my air is working and I didn’t need to have it enabled on the ECU. For any one that can do a tune-up or change a water pump don’t be afraid to tackle this. Cruise and A/C for (in my case) under $200Name:  aveo 001.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  91.7 KB

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by twobig4most View Post
      rollinrubber - Great post, I was just going to post something similar. I just got done installing my system on my 08 hatch SV. I opted to remove the radiator and installed the condenser from the engine side, it went in pretty easy. Also while I was putting in the A/C control I added my cruise switch (photo). Here’s my cost. Compressor (used) $45, lines (used) $10, control (used) $15, condenser (RockAuto) $74, cruise control (RockAuto) $30, PAG-46 oil (Advance Auto) $10. I was able to use the charge station at work to vacuum it down and add the R134 so that didn’t cost me. Also my air is working and I didn’t need to have it enabled on the ECU. For any one that can do a tune-up or change a water pump don’t be afraid to tackle this. Cruise and A/C for (in my case) under $200Name:  aveo 001.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  91.7 KB
      i just got my ac finished yestertday and it was fairly simple ,,my 2010 had condenser and evap alredy ,,,i even filled it wirh freon ,,but pump isnt kikn on ,,i was thinkining since my car has ac provison kit i didn t hav to have ecm hit ,,im wrong ,,hardest part of whole install is the inside switch ..id encourage all to try it ,,and if you are buying a leftover aveo and dealer wants two grand to do it ,,hek do it yourself for less than 500
      i have a tech i know he says for 20.00 and a hushd lip hge will activate ac n ecm(first gen aveos need no actiuvation by the way),,woohoo ,,cold ac just n time for vacation ,,ill keep u all posted
      Last edited by dlc70; 05-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
      if u get a good buy on ac parts bolts are mssing dont sweat it ,,,i lost a couple and replaced m with bolts from lowes ,,the parts list illustration here gives sizes ..the immense feeling of satisfaction and macho ness you feel wen u get this job done ius great ,,its one of the big mods that is easy enough to do

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 67ss350camaro View Post
      Parts:

Compressr - 95953032
      Pressure switch - 96448991
      Relay - 96590287
      Belt - 96476110
      Line 1 - 94831199
      Line 2 - 96940408
      Line 3 - 96802198
      Inside controls - 96650500

Also some nuts, bolts, and 10A fuse
      I have a picture of the nuts and bolts that I can e-mail. Not sure how to post pictures.

I charged the system myself. I found a 18oz can of 134a. This was the perfect amount. The shop manual calls for 18oz +- 1 oz. The sticker that was in the kit called for 17.5 oz.
      I had to take it to the shop just to have then go into the cars CPU and enable the A/C. It took them 5 min with the flow chart I provided, so $65 was plenty of money.

Daniel

Just to clarify...this parts list is for the '10's-on...correct ?

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

I have parts for sale

New to the forum... first post. I hope I am not stepping on any toes.

I have A/C parts that were pulled off of a 2007 Aveo(the A/C was in good shape BUT the car was totaled) with the intention of using them to add A/C to a 2007 SVM.

The situation has changed and I need to let the parts go.

I have the A/C lines, compressor, condenser, and control switch from inside the car.

The parts are not pretty and clean but should work just fine.

At this point I'd like to get my money back out of the parts: $600.

I'll cover shipping. Located in Kansas City.

Not the best quality picture but should help answer questions:
      Name:  Aveo AC.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  92.8 KB

Last edited by johcake; 11-30-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast