•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transmission problems?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by blueveo View Post
      There is a recommended fluid and filter service listed in the owners manual at 50k. I think this is still to long, I always do fluid flush and filter every 30k. I feel it is cheap insurance.
      I agree, but I do it far more often than that. I've checked the filter on several cars I've owned. IMHO it's a waste of time because the filters were always clean. It's good to clean out the pan every so often and see what's in it though, but that's infrequent.

There are some newer cars with sealed transmission that are "sealed for life", I believe ford is using them, I am sure other as well. All fluids will break down with heat and time, I wouldn't trust a fluid to last the life of a vehicle.
      IMHO that "sealed for life" is BS. The manufacturer saves money on production costs by not providing a dipstick and a drain plug on the pan. I do most of my own routine maintenance and I wouldn't buy a car like that.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      My buddy at work has similar issues(he isn't computer savy or he would be doing this). His is a '09 with about 71,000mi that won't upshift, warm or cold. No codes nor lights, freeway and town. He says it might shift at about 4500rpm. He took it to the local dealer where they "serviced" it about two months ago. It shifted normal again for about one month but, now its back to its old ways. I checked the fluid level, it was ok but, it had a lot of dark material in a red fluid that smelled burnt. Any voodoo or black magic or even spells one could cast over his conveyance would be most appreciated. thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You might want to pass along the information from my prior post on this thread (#17), and the link to other threads as well. There have been quite a few of these transmission problem postings recently, and they all seem to be with the '09. Relatively low mileage and 4-5 years old is WAY too early for this number of problems.
      Are all of these '09 tranny failures merely a cooincidence? I don't think so, but unless a few of these folks with tranny problems have their fluid tested for coolant, that's JMO.
      Or maybe Chevy will come clean and issue a recall

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by curranski View Post
      My buddy at work has similar issues(he isn't computer savy or he would be doing this). His is a '09 with about 71,000mi that won't upshift, warm or cold. No codes nor lights, freeway and town. He says it might shift at about 4500rpm. He took it to the local dealer where they "serviced" it about two months ago. It shifted normal again for about one month but, now its back to its old ways. I checked the fluid level, it was ok but, it had a lot of dark material in a red fluid that smelled burnt. Any voodoo or black magic or even spells one could cast over his conveyance would be most appreciated. thanks
      "(D)ark material in a red fluid that smelled burnt" = a dying (and soon to be dead) transmission.

My condolences.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123