•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering getting straight piped...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Considering getting straight piped...

I'm considering getting my Aveo straight piped, like what Nemasys (See "Too white for ya!" topic in Interior section) did, except I'm thinking of doing it a little different.

In the exhaust system on the Aveo, the cat pipe goes straight through the middle, from the engine to the rear axle, just before the rear axle, the pipe bends to the drivers side, then goes out a little bit, then turns back and bends over the rear axle bar thingy before going into the muffler.

Nemasys just took off the muffler and put in a straight pipe, what I'm thinking is just before the 2nd pipe bend to go into the muffler, I get a pipe cut and put on so it goes straight out on the drivers side, just before the rear driver's side wheel.

What I want to know is if I take out the muffler, how loud will it get? I talked to a custom muffler shop and he said:

1: It will get very loud if it's straight piped with no muffler or resonator at the end, and that's what I'm looking for, however, I heard from a forum talking about performance mufflers that a 4 banger like the Aveo would only make it sound like "farting in a tin can" or one of those Honda Civic buzzers, which worries me.

2: If I put it before the rear wheel, if the door seal isn't good enough, the smoke will get "sucked inside the car" and I'll smell it all day.

3: At freeway speeds, because it ends on the drivers side instead of the back, it will make alot of noise that I will hear, especially if the windows are down (but he notes that cause it's Arizona it's not very likely that I'll have my windows down, which he's right, most of the time).

He says he can take the muffler out and get a temporary pipe to go out the back for me to "Try it out" for aboout $40-60 and 45 mins of my time to install.

If I don't like it, he can reattach the muffler or if I want more he can make it how I want... For extra...

What should I do?

"If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Depends on whats loud for you. If you have the money for a test drive with the straight pipe than go for it. If you don't like it, get the muffler Aveo girl has.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      yeah your exhaust setup that you're describing will be loud. i had something similar for 2 days and got rid of it because it was too loud and obnoxious for me, sounded even worse then a honda fart can to me

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      i have the axle-back muffler only, it sounds great! its not farty or too loud, it roars. ill try to get a sound bite for you tomorrow

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I have 2.5" flex pipe back exhaust with Borla ProXS muffler. I like it.

I just found out that my laptop has a mic built into it, so later today ill get a sound clip and see how it turns out.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      take off the muffler and go for a drive. That will give you an idea how it sounds. Just don't leave it like that

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The size of piping plays a big role in how loud it is as well.

Thanks
      Something I found out, it's pretty much impossible to get an aveo to sound anything other than one of those Civics with a good muffler, deeper and throatier, it's just not possible.

Primarily because it's a 4-banger, you would need a V8 or bigger to get such sounds because V8's (and mabye a V6 if it has a turbo) have high compressions and push so much more air in and out, so it's deeper, a 4 cylinder like an Aveo can't do that.

So I'm gonna put my straight piping on hold for now till I find out something better, but one thing I do know is I will probably have it come out before the rear wheel just because it would allow me to make a better rear fender when I get a body kit (I plan on customing a kit), and it might look a little more interesting.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      i have a megan racing dual canister muffler set on mine with a cutout resonator and i think it sounds awesome. i was thinkin about this tho...if i cut out the first muffler (the one by the resonator) and repplace it with a cherry bomb muffler, how would that sound? just a thought...
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks
      I talked to the guy about cherry bombs and resonators and stuff, he basically said that there's nothing you could do to get it sounding deep, rich and throaty, it's just not possible with such a small engine. I asked him what would I need and he simply said "4 more cylinders".

When we addressed cherry bombs, he tried to change the topic and he said I don't want it cause it's just a cheap thing you would find at a "great" place like Auto Zone for performance parts

A resonator will just reduce the noise a dozen or so decibles, not much tone change though.\

The bottom line is that anything you do will just be a fart can like a Civic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast