•  

Thread: My Aveo problems

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

My Aveo problems

All and all this has been a great car. However I have a couple problems that have issues. One is a vibration on decel around 40-45 (its there the rest of the time just the worst then) I believe it is in the drivetrain. I had the tires rotated and nothing changed. but they want to ballance my tires at the dealership. I'll have them do that but I doubt it will fix anything. ...

The other thing is the driverside front suspension started rattling. I took it in and had them look at it. They kept it for 4 days. They replaced a bunch. It is still noisy and I think the rattle is comming back. (I think the vibration above may be causing some of this btw)

The third is a creaking noise when the weight shifts to the drivers side. Bumps and cornering it sounds like and old car and seems to be getting worse.

All three seem to be conected somewhat but not really. Fortunatly I'm only at 15k miles so they will get it right. Like I said I love the care. Did a long trip with it recently and it did great.

2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06
      2002 GMC Yukon XL (my tow vehicle)
      1978 Jeep Renagade CJ5 Levi Edition
      1965 Pontiac GTO (428, Tripower, 4spd)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Have them check the control arm bushings. That's the suspension rattle/clunk I bet. This just got fixed in the girlfriend's Cobalt.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      is that all in the front? one if the things i found on my car at 6k miles (my first self performed oil change 2 free dealership changes before that) was that the bolt were backing out around the bell housing, also 3 bolts leaving the lower motor mount loose.

doubt its the same for you, but if all that noise is in the front, including the vibration. depending on what kind of vibration..

from being in and under my car i would suspect either the sway bar, or the upper strut mounts.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      They had it 4 days. Gave me a rental on thier dime. They checked and replaced all kinds of stuff to include the strut and mounts. It seemed better when I first got it back but the vibration was really aparent (rental was an Aveo too) Then after a few days I noticed the rattle starting to come back. It all up front. The tech took a ride with me (same one that told me the vibration wasn't anything to worry about before and really couldn't "feel" it) Well I know how to make the worst of it so I had him do that and I still think he doesn't want to fix it. He said to have the tire balanced. OK fine next oil change we'll do that but I want the vibration gone.

I've got warrenty left so I will use it and let them fix it. They know I will buy other cars from them so I am sure they will take care of me. (bought the Z06 there)

I know the car isn't a high dollar car. But you don't have to put up with rattles and vibrations that aren't supposed to be there.

After the warrenty is up I'll start tinkering with it. Untill then they get to pay for it.
      2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      what do you do to make the worst of it, as you put it? might point towards parts..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Vibration:
      Basicaly when your under power you can feel it but fairly lite. When your rolling to slow by the engine it gets pretty bad. It shakes the car hard enough that you can see it in my had laying on the steering wheel or wherever. You can feel it in the pedals and when you brake some but it is there if you brake or not. Steering seems solid so I doubt its that. The tires were rotated and it had no change to the feel. It's the worst when rolling down a hill and letting the engine slow you (stick shift gear doesn't matter) at 45-40 ish speeds no matter the starting speed ie. 70 slowing to 20 or 45 slowwing to 40. the 45 to 40 range is always the worst though it is always there in some degree.

Does that make sense?

as for the suspension noise when turning and the weight shifts to the drivers side it creaks or sounds like something is rubbing etc. Not sure if it is in the front or rear at this point. Sometimes it sounds like the rear, sometimes front. It also happens on harder bumps (potholes and speedbumps)

The rattle happens occasionaly now since they "fixed" it. but when I hit bumps. and it is in the front drivers side.
      2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i'm going to say it might be related to the inferior dog bone design, depending on speed of decelleration. basically the dog bone makes the wheels spin instead of the engine.. but then when you transfer that torque, having the wheels spin the to slow the engine, the engine rocks the other way.. the aveo dog bone allows quite a bit (too much) movement. But there as a lot of pieces in there the should not have worn out yet that could cause your symptoms. An unbalanced wheel would get worse with speed more so that just while decellerating. (which i think you already suspect.)

The creaking is most likely your swaybar. But there have been a few instances of rear beam bushings failing prematurely as well.