•  

Thread: automatic shifter PROBLEMS

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

automatic shifter PROBLEMS

Well last night i was at wallmart to get a can of dip, go fiure a redneck like me in his favorite store, and when i put my car into park(2006 aveo ls hatch) it would not let the key out the ignition, it would however fire right back up although it would not let me shift. well come to find out i finally got it into gear and made it home . i got up today and same thing, i had to rock my car forward and backwards to get it to shift, so i went to a chevy dealership and i was told it was the cylinoid relay not relaying the info to the key. so needless to say they could not get my car into today so now i got to get in monday morning which really sucks. has anyone else ever had this problem heard of this kind of problem or any ideas what causes this. anyways let me know what y'all think.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Try to use the hold button to shift? Had a few discussions on this board about autos that wouldn't shift, altough it doesn't sound like the same problem.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      only real problem I've heard with the auto is with the brake switch not functioning properly and not letting you shift out of park.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      i agree this is the ONLY thing i have heard of that it could be. it's NOT the hold button. the hold button is just a switch that is kinda like an overdrive switch or if you want to go through the gears like a manual you use the hold button to hold the gear you want it in. it has nothing to do with the key to the car!
      You did WHAT? to your Aveo? HAHAHAHAHA

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I had this problem, brake relay solenoid had to be replaced...I couldnt get it out of park.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      you could use you spare key and unlock it using the shift lock (right next to the shifter)

Thanks
      There are a few other threads on here regarding the issue. Googling 'aveo shift lock' will bring up many other cases as well. Fortunately, when it happend to me I just did the shift lock release once and its shifted out of park without a problem ever since. I recommend that every automatic aveo owner get to know how to use the shift lock release though. This problem seems to be fairly common.

JustAGuy

Thanks
      how does the shift lock have anything to do with the car not releasing the key

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I had this happen on my Olds Toronado. Had the ignition switch, and cylinder replaced. Worked fine after that. The solenoid should not be giving you this problem. Take it to another dealer or ask to get the part after they replace it. It happens.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      because i think the car has to be in park (P) before you can take out the key like most cars