•  

Thread: Transmission issue. Slightly irritating (auto trans won't go in gear after shifting)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Transmission issue. Slightly irritating (auto trans won't go in gear after shifting)

So Ive seen the issue with the weird shifting in the aveo transmissions, not wanting to go into higher gears and what not. But my issue seems unique and i cant figure it out. I came here specifically looking for help. The other night i pulled up to my house and attempted to back my car into the drive way. I came to a complete stop, put the car in reverse, let off the brake and nothing happened. Hit the gas a bit, nothing. Put the car in drive and it felt like the trans was slipping. There was a whirring noise like i lost first or something. I got the car in the drive way after i had to fight with it for reverse, it felt like it had lost that too. My first thought was the trans is shot, so i shut it off and went in. After thinking about it the noise reminded me of a manual grinding gears. So i went back out started it up, put it in reverse and it was fine. Put it in drive, pulled up and it was fine. This surprised me. I called where i purchsed the car and they told me a shift selector was replaced. I drove it today and i still have the strange noise in first, it sounds like a whirring metal to metal sound. Its really weird, ive never heard anything like it. Reverse works but if i shift up from drive to reverse it gives me issues and acts like its not going into gear all the way. Even if i try to shift back down into drive it gives me a problem, i have to go into park first if i change gears. Is it possible that the selector was installed incorrectly ? Is there anyway to adjust it ? Basically is there anything i can do to fix what the "ASE certified" mechanics messed up?
      I have a 2008 aveo sedan, automatic transmission if you havent guessed. Lol please help guys this car is a necessity, and i cant find anything out of the ordinary as far as leaks go. Fluid isnt burnt, and when it gets out of first everything works fine. No noises or anything. Im hoping someone tells me the selector wasnt installed right.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
      It sure sounds the red flag is the selector issue since they said it was worked on.

Is it not an option to take it back and say it's still not selecting gear properly after their repair?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      How is your fluid level? Was the car on an incline or decline when you had the issues in your driveway? How many miles are on the car? As the transmission ever been serviced before, any fluid changes or flushes?
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      In the few goofy auto trans issues I have seen, I have never heard them make metal on metal noise, just erratic/late shifting or 'limp mode' where it won't go into OD and lock the converter. I would suspect whatever was replaced may be coming loose? At the very least I would think the shop would have the means to diagnose what has failed, if not repair it free of charge for you?

Thanks
      I know this is late but i work 50+ hours a week. Lol Anyway, Its the strangest sound ive ever heard a transmission make. Its sounds like a gear grinding against the case in first gear. I was on totally level ground. I checked the fluid the day before. And after it made the noise. It was fine, cold and hot. From what i can tell from the service records, everything has been kept up on, it only has 68k. Thats less than average yearly mileage and its a super clean car. It literally feels like the trans is slipping in and out of gear, but its auto. So i dont understand how, it drives perfectly fine when it feels like working right. When it acts up i have no reverse, drive feels like its stuck in gm limp now. Hit the gas and it doesnt want to go. Sometimes it will make a grinding nouse when its acting up. It has me stumped, and im no idiot when it comes to vehicles.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Nikdanger View Post
      I know this is late but i work 50+ hours a week. Lol Anyway, Its the strangest sound ive ever heard a transmission make. Its sounds like a gear grinding against the case in first gear. I was on totally level ground. I checked the fluid the day before. And after it made the noise. It was fine, cold and hot. From what i can tell from the service records, everything has been kept up on, it only has 68k. Thats less than average yearly mileage and its a super clean car. It literally feels like the trans is slipping in and out of gear, but its auto. So i dont understand how, it drives perfectly fine when it feels like working right. When it acts up i have no reverse, drive feels like its stuck in gm limp now. Hit the gas and it doesnt want to go. Sometimes it will make a grinding nouse when its acting up. It has me stumped, and im no idiot when it comes to vehicles.
      Did you ever resolve this issue?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It's plausible that the shift selector replacement wasn't installed correctly, causing your Aveo's transmission issues. A misaligned or improperly installed selector can lead to gear engagement problems. Have a trusted mechanic inspect the shift linkage and ensure proper installation. Adjustment may be possible, but it's crucial to have a professional assess and rectify the installation if necessary. If shifting concerns persist, consider consulting the dealership that replaced the selector for further diagnostics or a warranty review. Prompt attention will help avoid potential long-term damage to the transmission, ensuring your Aveo remains a reliable necessity.