•  

Thread: Manual Transmission--reverse issue

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Manual Transmission--reverse issue

I have a pretty little 2006 hatchback, and every so often it does not want to go into reverse, usually when I first start the car. I initially thought that I just needed to wait a second for the idle to slow down, but it takes a long time. It is grinding if I try to put it in R even though I am not moving and my foot is on the brake. usually I have to shift from 1 to 2 then to reverse for it to work. Dealer says it is not an issue. I disagree.
      Any thoughts?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Manual Transmission--reverse issue

Theres another thread about this issue. Just push the clutch in a couple of times and be patient. Dont force it and make it grind. If you feel resistance and it grinds a bit back off the stick and do as I said, push the clutch in a couple times. Its not like an automatic where you just put the shifter to R and go.

Auto Tranny=Ride
      Manual Tranny=Drive
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Manual Transmission--reverse issue

Mike is right better to be patient than to cause more damage. That said there are a lot of things that could cause this.. however since you say on start up (cold i presume) i agree its the clutch needing pumped up, it might be released enough for all the other gears, if it starts doing the same thing in first then its getting worse and you have a need for replacement parts (throwout bearing most likely), but if you want a solution for now, try bleeding the system and replacing the fluid.