•  
    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So I officially hate my car.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: So I officially hate my car.

Ok since everyone has beat the stop hating Aveo thing. I want to mention something that is likely the real issue. If your worried about getting your ego bruised because your car was beat by another car you have alot of growing up to do. If you think your new honda will be the fastest thing on the road...well it won't. Fast and the furious was a movie man. Its not like its real. You can sell you Aveo and get a Honda or whatever tuner you want. Pour a ton of money into it and then when you think your ready I'll beat you with one of my cars that isn't an import.

Listen man do whatever makes you happy but realize this right now. If you let your ego rule how and what you drive you'll end up in a box. That is a fact and I have seen it to many times. I love cars too. I have a few that are scary fast. But if someone wants to spend the money they can make some cars faster than them. I'm ok with that. Sure its fun and an adrenaline rush to win a race but do it safely. Take it to a track.

And as much as you mod some cars they are still not made for some of the top end speed you'll end up at.

Just be carefull whatever you decide.

2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06
      2002 GMC Yukon XL (my tow vehicle)
      1978 Jeep Renagade CJ5 Levi Edition
      1965 Pontiac GTO (428, Tripower, 4spd)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

It's not really my ego I'm worried about, it's my family's reputation... My whole family has raced SOMETHING. It's in my blood, big time. I know your all going to say if you want to race then race a race car... But there aren't any race tracks or race cars around here... I live in a ****ty little town with a bunch of county roads. If someone wants to race around here, we go to one of our abandoned roads and race, the cops are mainly cool with it if we keep it safe and there aren't people around and if its late at night or early in the morning... There are always mustangs that put a new exaust tip on their car and they think it has 500whp.. So when they try to race us they get sadly awakened... Well, my buddy with the german dodge neon, or my buddy with the civic that is... I haven't tried to race a stang yet and I'm pretty sure I'd get raped if I did. Oh I didn't give an explanation... Back when my dad raced, or my uncle, grandfather and so on and so forth, there was a bigger racing scene around here, everything is closed down now, which sucks... Okay so I already got a short ram intake, and I've got an exaust system, I suppose the next thing is a cat-less exhaust manifold? Idk, I've got those two things done, so whats next?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Thats truely a great question...what IS next?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

wider high performance tires will help you get off the line. with lighter wheels. for racing. go with a 15" and a 195/50r15.

is your car an automatic or manual? did you answer that? either way practice launching.

and look to the list i put on the first page. most of those things add performance, maybe not power directly.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

do what i did.....buy a G60 Corrado. then install a whistle tip and go WOO WOOOOOO!!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

You can make an Aveo handle better and go faster than when you bought it. But I'd say its gonna be tough building the car up so it actually becomes something people have a hard time catching.

Here is a great read for someone into street racing from the thread:

"Why Street racing is a crock to compare cars"
      http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/streetracing.html

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corey
      It's not really my ego I'm worried about, it's my family's reputation... My whole family has raced SOMETHING. It's in my blood, big time. I know your all going to say if you want to race then race a race car... But there aren't any race tracks or race cars around here... I live in a ****ty little town with a bunch of county roads. If someone wants to race around here, we go to one of our abandoned roads and race, the cops are mainly cool with it if we keep it safe and there aren't people around and if its late at night or early in the morning... There are always mustangs that put a new exaust tip on their car and they think it has 500whp.. So when they try to race us they get sadly awakened... Well, my buddy with the german dodge neon, or my buddy with the civic that is... I haven't tried to race a stang yet and I'm pretty sure I'd get raped if I did. Oh I didn't give an explanation... Back when my dad raced, or my uncle, grandfather and so on and so forth, there was a bigger racing scene around here, everything is closed down now, which sucks... Okay so I already got a short ram intake, and I've got an exaust system, I suppose the next thing is a cat-less exhaust manifold? Idk, I've got those two things done, so whats next?
      --shave your throttle body-- take the intake off and use a dremel tool to thin that thick intake wall down.

--lower the car-- it always helps with handling. i put apex springs on my car, and was able to stay on my buddies bumper around 90 degree turns. he had to buy coilovers to do that for his focus

--wider rims-- i upgraded from stock 6inch wide rims to 7inch, and the i couldnt believe how different the car felt.

--build yourself a Cold-air intake-- instead of that ram air, build a CAI. i felt a big difference after upgrading mine. plus the ram air rubbed through my coolant line

--upgrade Camshaft-- not quite a DIY upgrade, but you said your dad owned a shop right?

--Clutch Kit-- shoot through those RPMs faster with a lightweight flywheel, and upgraded clutch kit.

--bodykit/weight reduction-- those bodykits arent only rice, their lighter than stock too.

--add sponser stickers-- each one will give you 5HP at the wheel

--softer tires-- better grip/bite and quicker responce. also think about upgradeing to lower profile tires, or simply stretch some normal tires. its unpopular but stretch will eliminate sidewall flex, and essentially give you a much cheaper low-pro performance.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Well whatever you do be carefull. You say its not ego but then kinda prove it is. I highly doubt you father and grandfather will care how fast your car was if you get killed or go to jail because you got someone killed. Just remember that before launching your car or getting talked into a race. If don't believe me ask you father. Ask him how many people he knew that where stupid and died racing. ...I'm not saying not to race I'm saying don't do it as a big macho thing or something. There will always be someone out there with more money in there car than you etc.

As for the Aveo...it may not be a car that has a ton of performance aftermarket parts availible for it yet. But that may change with the 2009 styling change (hopefully) plus the more people trying to build them the better off you'll be to have the parts later. You said earlier or in you picture post you liked the Aveo because it was different. But you didn't like it because of the race...One option suggested already is an engine swap. I'm sure people on here could help you through that and sounds like you have the access to the shop. So why not go that route. I'm thinking along the same lines later (after my warrenty is out) Or you can follow the turbo builds and see what you can do about turboing your Aveo (something I may do sooner than later) Its all up to you.

If your dead set on switching cars then by all means go for it. But remember why you liked the Aveo was because it was different. If you get something just like everyone else you may dissapointed too. Sure you may be able to get more parts right away but who knows.

Just think it over before you do anything. If you can do alot of the work yourself in school then that is cool. You have the Aveo now. Anything you buy you'll have to start from scratch and have the cost of building it up too.
      2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoBlack

--shave your throttle body-- take the intake off and use a dremel tool to thin that thick intake wall down.

--lower the car-- it always helps with handling. i put apex springs on my car, and was able to stay on my buddies bumper around 90 degree turns. he had to buy coilovers to do that for his focus

--wider rims-- i upgraded from stock 6inch wide rims to 7inch, and the i couldnt believe how different the car felt.

--build yourself a Cold-air intake-- instead of that ram air, build a CAI. i felt a big difference after upgrading mine. plus the ram air rubbed through my coolant line

--upgrade Camshaft-- not quite a DIY upgrade, but you said your dad owned a shop right?

--Clutch Kit-- shoot through those RPMs faster with a lightweight flywheel, and upgraded clutch kit.

--bodykit/weight reduction-- those bodykits arent only rice, their lighter than stock too.

--add sponser stickers-- each one will give you 5HP at the wheel

--softer tires-- better grip/bite and quicker responce. also think about upgradeing to lower profile tires, or simply stretch some normal tires. its unpopular but stretch will eliminate sidewall flex, and essentially give you a much cheaper low-pro performance.
      OK I have a couple questons what does grinding your intake do and how do you do it. Is there a how to somewhere?

If the stickers work I'm slapping a ton of them on there ...lol

Lastly what do you mean by stretching tires?

BTW sorry I am kinda hijacking the thread.
      2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i havent checked the 09 to see how bad it is yet. but you would need to take it off since it points straight down. but you remove the intake. and there is a ridge where the opening to the throttle body is. you shave that to remove the ridge. do not, do not, do not sand/grind where the throttle plate sits.

stretching tires means putting a narrow tire on a wider rim for example. if you have a 205/40r16 tire it is @ 8" wide. so to stretch it you would want an 8.5-10 inch rim (depending on the amount of stretch you want, too much wont gain performance)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast