•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cost of replacing rear shocks....not as simple as all the youtube videos show

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      A person that does not want to buy tooling and documentation to repair / maintain their car , should pay a mechanic .

If they do not want to pay a mechanic , than they should try walking .

If you want to know where to place the jack and the jack stands , try posting good photos of the underside of the car .

God bless
      Wyr
      I at least TRY to do my own repairs. I ask for help. And some of the NICE guys on here try and help. I know I cant do most of the 'mechanical repairs'. Maintenance is what I can do . With the massive amount of posts YOU have made, THIS is as helpful as you can be? I went to a mechanic to install them, once I found a reasonable price. You got $750 to replace 2 shocks??? Good for you. I don't!! Try reading all the posts from the start. I waited till I found a reasonably priced shop to install them. Thanks to others telling me that it CAN be done on my own, I considered it, but cant store all the tools needed to fix this. Then stocking up tools to do the coming work over the next years? No room to store them all. Glad you can store a mechanics stock of tools.
      But I dont have the room. So I got it done by someone that could do it, at a great rate!

edk
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

If you don't have tools

Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      i just need the floor jack, jack stands, the tools, and buy the parts first, and then buy/rent the jacks jack stands, if i can. I have no idea what part the stands go under, and what part gets jacked up. I have got the parts priced out at around $140 delivered,no one has them in stock, if i could find a mech. that doesnt charge $600 to do an hour job, i would be set. But so far Ft.Laud. Fla. seems set to screw me till I beg to be shot!
      There are garages where you can rent time and use their tools and equipment. Around here it's 80$ a day.

Thanks
      I used the coilovers cross post and it worked and slices the saggy rear end. Special tool to remove the mount

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I did not read the other thread , until after I posted this reply . I then knew , yes , you found a " reasonably priced " mechanic . Good , I am glad for you . You got it done .

Yes , I have space for the tooling .

Some one suggested you store yours under your bed . That will not work ?

If you lived local to me , I would have been willing to loan you tools ( as long as they never left my sight , I do not know you ) . Helped you , or at least , stood to the side ( out of your way ) and offered instruction / advice . Helped you , if you needed it , reading & interpreting a Chilton or Haynes book on your car .

And , unless we lived local to you , we can not advise you to go to mechanic ABC or mechanic XYZ . But I personally can not give advice on reasonable mechanics . I have been doing most ( but not quite all ) of my repairs for around 40 -45 years . ( one of the exceptions is transmission work . )

But you might as well understand . You got the work done . You paid the labor . Very good . But the money you paid is gone . You can continue to do that , essentially for as long as you are driving .

Or , you can figure out how to store tools and how to use them . If you buy decent tools , they will serve you your whole life , if you take care of them and keep up with them . That money spent , continues to serve you . It is not gone .

You have an advantage I did not have when I started wrenching , as a kid . The internet . I do not start out on a project , unless I have searched YouTube and other videos . And text documentation . An enormous help .

I also had a wonderful Dad that thought me basic car repair / maintenance . And , my Senior year in High School , I was in a program at school where I went to class 1/2 a day and worked at the Dodge dealership 1/2 a day . As a gofer , but I also helped the mechanics , too .

And , no , I have not done your specific repair on your specific car . My interest in the Aveo is since it is more or less the predecessor to the 2015 Sonic my Wife and I bought last June . The only thing I have done to it so far is maintain the air pressure , fluids and change the oil / filter .

But , I am getting to the age where a time will probably come , when I will have to hire some work done ( or purchase a newer / replacement vehicle ) . Such is life .

Best of luck ,
      Wyr
      God bless

Thanks
      Jack stand on rear pinch weld. Once tire is in the air and off, undo the bottom 14mm bolt. push up and take it out its holder and then unbolt the top mount and its out

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234