•  

Thread: Seeking best tires with long tread life

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Seeking best tires with long tread life

About 8 months ago I purchased a 2009 Aveo5 with 10,500 miles. It now has about 22,000 miles. All in all, I love my Aveo. I have been meaning to post a thread about my experiences as a "new" Aveo owner. I haven't had any serious issues. Eventually I will find the time and fill you all in on the different issues I've had, all relatively minor.

My more immediate issue is that my tires are completely bald and I have to replace them. I can't believe how fast the original Hankook Optimos wore out. I've read other posts about this. I've read that Aveos chew up front tires but this is ridiculous. The car was correctly aligned. I checked the pressure and rotated them regularly (every 4,000 miles). I do not drive aggressively. I save that for riding my sport bike. The car is used to commute to work.

The government tread wear guide, the Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) for the Hankooks is 400. Most of the common replacement tires such as the Kumho Ecstas, Bridgestone Ectopis and Pirelli Cinturatos all seem to have the same tread wear rating.

Instead of 185/55/R15s I was going to go a little wider with 195/55/R15s or even 205/55/R15s. America's Tire has an in house Yokohama tire call the YK580 with a UTQG tread wear rating of 580. They may be pushing them because they have a deal with Yokohama.

Has anyone tried these tires on their Aveo or have any other tire suggestions? Having to replace tires every 20,000 miles is crazy. I do not care about performance. Thus I prefer to avoid softer tires. Perhaps I should have posted this in the General Discussion section. But I don't know how to move it so I hope some of you tire experts out there can point me in the right direction. Why is the Aveo so hard on tires and what is the solution?

Last edited by Aveo5Lover; 02-01-2016 at 02:38 AM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5Lover View Post
      About 8 months ago I purchased a 2009 Aveo5 with 10,500 miles. It now has about 22,000 miles. All in all, I love my Aveo. I have been meaning to post a thread about my experiences as a "new" Aveo owner. I haven't had any serious issues. Eventually I will find the time and fill you all in on the different issues I've had, all relatively minor.

My more immediate issue is that my tires are completely bald and I have to replace them. I can't believe how fast the original Hankook Optimos wore out. I've read other posts about this. I've read that Aveos chew up front tires but this is ridiculous. The car was correctly aligned. I checked the pressure and rotated them regularly (every 4,000 miles). I do not drive aggressively. I save that for riding my sport bike. The car is used to commute to work.

The government tread wear guide, the Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) for the Hankooks is 400. Most of the common replacement tires such as the Kumho Ecstas, Bridgestone Ectopis and Pirelli Cinturatos all seem to have the same tread wear rating.

Instead of 185/55/R15s I was going to go a little wider with 195/55/R15s or even 205/55/R15s. America's Tire has an in house Yokohama tire call the YK580 with a UTQG tread wear rating of 580. They may be pushing them because they have a deal with Yokohama.

Has anyone tried these tires on their Aveo or have any other tire suggestions? Having to replace tires every 20,000 miles is crazy. I do not care about performance. Thus I prefer to avoid softer tires. Perhaps I should have posted this in the General Discussion section. But I don't know how to move it so I hope some of you tire experts out there can point me in the right direction. Why is the Aveo so hard on tires and what is the solution?
      Aveo5Loveer. i have ONLY 34K miles on my Aveo5...I am going to have to replace my 4th set in a few hundred miles, when i have some money! So I have gone through 4 sets so far,including the originals at like 6K miles! All city driving, I drive like an 'old lady', keep them rotated, and aligned, and they get eatten up like crack cocaine! I spent a small fortune on this current set a set of so called 'high performance' tires, at Tires Plus, they had only 2 sets to choose from when I replaced the 3rd set with these. A cheap Chinese set, Primewells, or these 'high performance tires', that I am told are suppose to wear out faster, but wasnt told when I bought them, BUT have a 50K mile wear warranty on them, and are almost smooth now at less than 10K miles of use! They are Falkens...now I am told they are crap tires, but when I asked this same question on here, no one warned me away from them. Just told me to not buy 'Chinese tires'
      NOW Tires Plus has Firestone 'touring tires' that will fit my car. They SAY they will last MUCH longer than my current set they sold me. Since they are 'touring tires'....a new set for $335 out the door...Firestone 710's I think is the name. Look it up on FireStone. Hope this helps a bit.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      Aveo5Loveer. i have ONLY 34K miles on my Aveo5...I am going to have to replace my 4th set in a few hundred miles.
      Dude you have something seriously wrong with your alignment. I on my 5th set at 140K miles and I beat the crap out my car.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Dude you have something seriously wrong with your alignment. I on my 5th set at 140K miles and I beat the crap out my car.
      My alignment, and rotation, and balance, are all on spec. Maybe now with the rear shocks replaced, new tires will last longer? It drives straight as a pin. So it is not out of alignment. Its been all cheap Chinese tires since I bought the car. And then this so called 'High Performance' set, (that are suppose to wear out faster, to give you more traction). Thats the crap line they gave me, as they now want to sell me the set of touring tires that I wanted, when I needed to replace the 3rd set. NOW they have Firestone 'Touring tires', but didnt have any 'touring tires' when I replaced them, 2 years ago. Guess there is no profit in 14in tires. Hell...still cant explain the 19MPG to this day!!! Let alone the tire eating this car does!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      Guess there is no profit in 14in tires. Hell...still cant explain the 19MPG to this day!!! Let alone the tire eating this car does!
      What years is your Aveo? I just recently found a problem with the intake that could affect millage. I had a crack in my intake hose. Once I get my head replaced, I will see if I get back to 31 MPG. So I would pull off the intake and check it for cracks.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....