•  

Thread: Final post : Rear shock/rear mount replacement

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Final post : Rear shock/rear mount replacement

Ok all. Last update on my rear shock/shock mount replacement. I bought the shocks and shock mount kits on Rock Auto for $89.39. Both Monroe Shocks/ Monroe Mount Kits.

I WAS going to replace them myself, but no one would loan me a floor jack, let alone jack stands. So I went to a new mechanic I found on my local Yelp. Went today, and they wanted to look at the shocks, you know, to make sure the rear suspension isn't falling off. And charge me more if they could I assume.

Next thing I know, they replaced my shocks and strut mounts in 1.2 hrs! for $118! I brought my shocks and mounts with me, (to get a quote, and if I liked it, have them replace them), the next thing I know they replaced them without telling me they were going to do it, let alone how much. I guess I could have made a big scene and say 'I never asked you to replace them, its your own fault, I am not paying'....but for $118, I aint bitching! I expected close to $200. So...I got a great deal I think...right?

Considering MY old mechanic wanted $750!!!!, Tire Kingdom wanted $625, I think,... and hell, Chevy wanted $550!

So....to replace my rear shocks and shock mounts in total ran $207. Not bad!! So I go from over $850, to barely over $200! This place is another 'one shop' mechanic, thats been around since 1984 I think. It has all positive reviews on Yelp. So i figured I would get an estimate to replace these parts.

It was a surprise that they replaced everything, and told me that...'you were right, you just needed shocks and mounts'. 'The rest of your suspension is fine.' I did ask about the right rear mount that I was told was the part that was making that loud knocking sound over tiny tiny bumps, and they told me today that the rubber on the mount had disintegrated, so the metal plate was loose and making all the noise....age did it.

My other mechanic never took it apart to look at it, he just guessed that it was the top mount gone bad, or was loose. THAT is $750 to fix?! I don't think so.

So...thats the wrap up of my epic story of the rear shocks on my 2006 HB. With a whopping 34K miles. The OEM shocks lasted THAT long....not even that long really. Cheap crap! Lastly....This mechanic said that BOTH shocks were blown out! So I assume I have been riding around on 'blown out' shocks for a few months or longer! Maybe thats why these tires wore out so fast? Even though I rotated them, and balanced and aligned them all the time.

Well, thank you to you all that gave me 'helpful advise' and feedback. I wanted to wrap up this topic, to help others out with the same problem. It now rides like a totally new car, and not a new Aveo, like a new Caddy Thanks guys!

Last edited by FlaAveo5; 02-02-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thanks for the follow up post. You should go back to your old post and link this new thread.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      dont know how to 'link' threads .

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Here is the previous thread on this conversation: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f85/c...os-show-20568/

There I have linked both threads together.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      well thank you,hope it helps others.

Last edited by FlaAveo5; 02-02-2016 at 01:36 PM.