•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of replacing rear shocks....not as simple as all the youtube videos show

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Cost of replacing rear shocks....not as simple as all the youtube videos show

Ok. I know i ask you all about prices before I get things done to my Aveo. BUT I just got an 'appraisal' to replace my rear shocks.....$750! Even stupid me knows that is impossible.
      Now I think my mechanics are screwing me, for some reason. Well trying to. I aint paying THAT! IF Monroe shocks cost that much, and I know they dont, I looked them up online, and it is 2.5 hrs to replace each side, the mech. cost per side at $80 per hour, it cant come to $750.
      What have you all paid to have these replaced? I have that damn knocking sound coming from the right rear, sounds like a bowling ball knocking around back there over tiny tiny bumps. Over big bumps, not a sound. Rides great! so they tell me it is those uper bushings/mounts, worn out or become loose over the years. so the shocks are not even 'bad' yet! but since they would have to pull it all apart to get to these upper bushings/mounts, might as well replace the shocks...right???!
      So it isnt a simple unsrcrew the old shock and screw in a new one, like they show all over 'YouTube'. Of course it cant be that simple, we/I have to have these upper mounts/bushings and other crap! I could change the easy ones on 'YouTube', but i dont dive a Chevy S-10, or some other simple unbolt the old and bolt on the new shock car, I have an Aveo

So...what should I be looking at for Tires Plus, or Tire Kingdom or some other mechanic, to replace all the parts of the rear shocks. All those rubber bushings/mounts...that make it so freaking hard to do! Or does someone here have a video, or have a series of pics. that shows how to get to the top of the shock, that is under that hard carpet in the back, and do it myself. I assume it is a DIY job, if you have the tools, and I dont. So i am willing to pay a reasonable price to have it done. But $750?!!! NO! Its time to part out the car and make a big profit and buy a Toyota if it really costs that much!!!

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i've had mine in and out in an hour.. its only 3 bolts per side, then swapping the mounts.

the hardest part is the spring loaded axle, if you do both shocks at the same time, it will drop and your springs can be a burden.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (01-22-2016)

Thanks
      Thanks guy...so i take it it isnt $750! right? Can i do it at home without jack stands or major tools? i only have the most basic of 'auto tools. I can do one side at a time, would that hold up the back end,or does it need stands etc...? So what should i expect to pay if i pay like Tire Kingdom to do it? or another mechanic that isnt with a big company? About? IF i order shocks online or buy them at a parts store, am i geting ALL the parts i need. or is there a special 'kit' that i need on top of the shocks? Those bushings/mounts that are on the top....do they come with the shocks? or are they extra?

Thanks
      'Rabbit' Can i replace these top rubber bushings/mounts, whatever they are called on that one side???? What is the kit called? Can i buy it from a parts store? Or so these parts only come with a new shock? IF I get to the top of that shock,under that hard formed carpet in the back that covers the shock tops, can i just replace the part/parts that re loose/worn out? OR do i HAVE to get the shock replaced? I think i could do the replacement of this rubber part/mount, what is it called? What do i ask to order,if you know. Please advise. Thanks guy. Stan would i have to jack up the car or put it on jack stands, none of which i have of course. BUT i could borrow. IF i could just replace these top parts. The ride is just fine. It is these top parts that are loose or worn out over time.
      So....how much could it be? If I know what to ask for. I could even ask a mechanic to replace JUST that part of that shock.....right????

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I replaced my rear shocks and upper mounts. its not that difficult. I purchased the parts from rockauto. I purchased the

MONROE 5794 OESpectrum Passenger Car (rear)

strut mount rear.
      KYB SM5452
      Rear Upper

no way for $750. it's not too tough at all. it's easier than the front, easier than a brake rebuild, and many others things. I would say difficulty wise it is in between changing brake pads and an oil change.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lOOkatme For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (01-24-2016)

Thanks
      i just need the floor jack, jack stands, the tools, and buy the parts first, and then buy/rent the jacks jack stands, if i can. I have no idea what part the stands go under, and what part gets jacked up. I have got the parts priced out at around $140 delivered,no one has them in stock, if i could find a mech. that doesnt charge $600 to do an hour job, i would be set. But so far Ft.Laud. Fla. seems set to screw me till I beg to be shot!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      i just need the floor jack, jack stands, the tools, and buy the parts first, and then buy/rent the jacks jack stands, if i can. I have no idea what part the stands go under, and what part gets jacked up. I have got the parts priced out at around $140 delivered,no one has them in stock, if i could find a mech. that doesnt charge $600 to do an hour job, i would be set. But so far Ft.Laud. Fla. seems set to screw me till I beg to be shot!

That is how I started. I just keep buying sockets and tools for when I need them. I even have the custom tool to do the front struts for these aveo's.
      Jacking points
      picture_4752.jpg Photo by RonJ_HT | Photobucket

I have dome some work on the aveo that did take some effort. the easiest to do are rear wheel bearings (just need a press) and the rear struts are very easy. I haven't found anything too difficult to do except some of the things are rusted together. that is the difficult part.

It is very rewarding doing the work yourself IMO. you really appreciate a great running/riding car.

Just wondering, how are your two rear bushings on the trailing arms? those might be something you want to change as well. I suggest poly bushings as they last a long time and hold an alignment well.

Keep posting if you need help.

Thanks
      my rear bushings on the top of the right rear shock is the problem. There is nothing wrong with the shocks. I just want to replace the top bushing/mount....and can buy it for like $25...but it seems everyone thinks I am thinking of shooting the president if i ONLY do that.
      THAT is the 'hard' part to get to and replace. I can get the kit that has all the pieces, but I need to jack up the back, put stands someplace under the suspension, etc.....so...thats where i am stuck. All I want to do is replace the top busing 'kit', it is the problem. And these unreal estimates i am getting dont include replacing the top bushing/mounting plate. I would think replacing JUST that top part would not have to jack up half the car to get to it and replace it. But I am told i am wrong, and no one says different. So IF i do anything, i have to BUY a floor jack,jack stands, tools, and THEN figure out where to put everything. I am online now looking at 'free repair manuals'...that all turn out to be like $19.99 per month to get access to...thats free? IF i buy a repair manual from Chilton....i think it is like more than the shocks! I'm getting VERY pissed at this car.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      First - When was the last time the shocks have been replaced? If its anything over 30k miles, I would just replace them as you have to remove them anyway. Most fwd cars have the same or similiar suspension setup as the Aveo. Changing the suspension of a Civic is pretty muc the same as changing it on your Aveo. Just watch a few youtube videos and adapt it to your Aveo.

Second- Don't get pissed at you car because you dont want to/cant fix it. Its a car; things break and routine maintenance needs to be done. Its not like you engine grenaded on you for no reason. Bushings going out is normal. You dont want to buy tools because you can't store them anywhere, and then you complain that going to the shop is too much $$. Either find a new shop and get a better estimate, or just buy the tools and store them somewhere. You dont need a heavy duty jack for an Aveo. You can get a small one that fits underneath a bed. Same with jack-stands. Also, the owner's manual shows you where you can place jack stands and lift points.

Instead of paying $750 at a shop, buy the parts you need and spend the rest on tools. Jack, jack stands, impact gun, sockets, tool set, etc.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      yeah i need to buy an impact gun, and the air compressor to run it,...buy all the tools to fit this car,all the parts to repalce the top of this shock,plus the shocks,and find a place to do this work, and then when the cars gone, dead,sold, I have tools that dont fit the next one. And I have tons of room to store it all in my 5 car garage. NOT! All I asked for at the start of this question was how much others paid to get it done. You have $750 to pay for it? Think thats a fair price? Good for you. Send it my way. I'm not proud. and others think it is WAY to high as well. I am looking for other places. So far $450 is the lowest. Still to much for a 60 min. job. The jack stands dont even go where my owners manual says to jack it up by the way!. Sounds like you need to read yours again! So I need to find out where they go, so i dont crush some other part. Make sense???? By the time I buy all this stuff . I might as well spend $750 on these crooked mechs. Geez! Thanks for the helpful input.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast