•  

Thread: ABS Issue - light on, but no codes?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Question ABS Issue - light on, but no codes?

Tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything in the 40+ pages that show up when searching "ABS Codes"

04 Aveo, bought it cheap with a broken timing belt for my son's first car (he wanted a 79 Firebird; told him he gets to start with something with a little less horsepower - he also didn't like that I pointed out the fact that my Harley has a bigger engine than the Aveo....). We fixed all the engine issues, put on all new brakes, tires, wheel bearings, shocks/struts/mounts, front control arms, etc....

Since I got it running, the ABS light has come on - but when I scan it, there are no codes stored in the ABS module?? When we did brakes, I verified that all the sensors are connected and clean - and I would think that if one of them was the issue, it would hopefully set a code?

When the car is first started, the light is off - but as soon as the car moves a couple of feet, the light comes on. With no codes, I'm kind of at a loss of where to start digging to get this resolved - it doesn't seem to affect driving or braking (at least that I can notice), although the pedal is a bit "soft"; not sure if it's just the car or a related issue.

Anyone seen this issue and can offer any input on what they found?

Thanks,
      Jim

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I did a search for a scan tool to read ABS issues and I found NADDA. So you having to do the dealer thingy. BTW most scan tools will not pick up ABS codes or airbag codes.

You get points for giving your son a responsible car. I got a beetle growing up, cheap to fix and plentiful at the time. Also under powered. However that did not stop me from driving it like a bat out of hell and almost getting myself killed multiple times.

The only reality about having more HP is you can get in trouble faster by using the accelerator at the wrong time. The nice thing about not having a lot of power you learn to give your self room for passing.

As for the brakes, I never felt the Aveo is soft on pedal. I would check and make sure your drums/pads are in good shape and to adjust them. It could be the auto adjusters are not working right.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Get a scanner that also reads ABS codes. They're like $50 on Amazon.

Might wanna check out this thread
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f85/a...-2004-a-19883/
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Guess I should have specified on the tools used - I'm using a Bosch OBD1200 scan tool that is capable of reading ABS and airbag modules (Bosch OBD1200 - Scan Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts) - business investment, so I didn't deal with the el cheapo model.

Brakes are brand new all around - pads, shoes, drums, rotors, hardware - as well as wheel bearings. I'll have to double check everything for good measure; may do another round of bleeding for good measure.

@slayerized6 - thanks for the link, not sure why I didn't see that in earlier searches...