Heya folks,

I'm sure this isn't the first time y'all have seen this topic. I figured I'd come to the experts. I inherited a 2006 Aveo Hatchback from my grandmother last summer, and I'm finally getting around to getting the thing up to date with everything. After doing a buncha work on it, I only now noticed the dang airbag light. I recall it being on for quite a long time, even when my grandmother was around driving it.

I've done my fair share of research on this issue so far, with no good leads. My GM mechanic said that it needed "further diog," gee thanks buddy. I took it to my guy who said it was the passenger seat sensor, and is offering to replace it for $1,700. If it would fix it, sure. But I don't think it will, only due to the sheer volume of people online saying it doesn't fix it. I've considered getting the workaround that always indicates there's a passenger.

Only one problem, the seat indicator seems to be working fine. Doing tests of myself (150lbs), the light on the dash indicating "Passenger Airbag OFF" disengages, yet the light persists. Blinks once when turned on, then solid red the rest of the way. Annoying. Posts online seem to offer little indication if that their faulty sensor on the seat actually turns off the "Passenger Airbag OFF" light whilst still keeping the Airbag Light on.

Essentially, I am wondering if anyone has come across this issue as well. I'm not ready to drop $1,700 to replace a sensor that doesn't need replacing. I saw one or two places online that the issue might be with something in the steering wheel.

In short, my passenger seat sensor correctly detects a person sitting in the seat, but the red airbag warning light remains illuminated.

I personally am trying to get this car into 100% working order for resale or to gift it to family. I have a Silverado so working with any smaller car is foreign to me.