•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereo System Upgrade On a Budget?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Stereo System Upgrade On a Budget?

Hello everyone, I have a 2009 Aveo Sedan, and I want to upgrade my sound system. What would you recommend upgrading with a budget of about 150 to 200 dollars? Get a sub-woofer or new stereo, or just better speakers?
      Thanks,

Thanks
      or maybe a bass booster?

Thanks
      A new stereo is nice. You can add iPod control and bluetooth for a good price, and even HD and satellite radio if you wish. Plus, the extra power improves the sound of the stock speakers somewhat. The aveo speakers are not great stock, but liveable with a new stereo. If you can afford it, definitely get a sub too. I started out with a cheaper 10" sub in a ported box with 150rms, and it really helped the SQ of the system a lot. Nothing to rattle the windows loose, but rounds out the sound well. I have gone much further now, but to get into upgrading that's what I'd do.

Hop on Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix and browse around what's available for the Aveo. I recommend pioneer and alpine as far as stereos. I also had a Sony unit that was dirt cheap and lasted me 5 years. Just replaced it not too long ago.
      Last edited by wagnus8907; 08-03-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Which factory head unit do you have? If you have the base am/fm, then upgrade to the mp3 cd its able to be had for $75 with some looking, it has higher output and sounds better than the oem am/fm base unit.

then use the remaining $125 for speakers.

Thanks
      I may still have my stock MP3 unit laying around. If you'd want that i would give it to you for the cost of shipping.

Thanks
      I have an aftermarket sound system in my car, I replaced the head unit which makes a big sound quality difference and can play the music louder, I left the stock speakers they sound good, and a sub. So basically just a radio and sub. Good luck trying to spend just $150-200 bucks though. With the products, installation and everything you're going to run well over $200. Look on ebay or craigslist. Stock radios isn't going to help you at all.

Thanks
      i have the stock mp3 input stereo unit. the reason i want to upgrade is because the front right door speaker is blown out (i think). it still plays but any bass will just sound like static. Ill probably just start with a new stereo and front speakers for now then.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wagnus8907 View Post
      I may still have my stock MP3 unit laying around. If you'd want that i would give it to you for the cost of shipping.
      Hey i'd love to have an MP3/CD player version for my car wagnus! I got the base radio and i been kickin around the idea of a CD player cuz i found all my old CDs last week! lol I'd even come pick it up! i live in Kittanning, your not very far from me! Let me know if the offer still stands for gettin rid of it please sir. Shoot me a PM if so! Thanks sir!

Hope to soon have an iphone that i can stream PANDORA on. that'd be a big plus!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hey guys!

This thread is perfect, because I've been looking to change up my stereo (06 aveo LT) and wasn't sure how to go about doing it.
      I know how to get my reciever changed out, but any suggestions on speakers? The damned things in these are TINY...

Also: Any suggestion for mounting a mini-sub in the sidewalls of the trunk? I know it's a slim space between the felt and the ACTUAL sidewall, but I figured it was worth asking...someone might have an answer.

Thanks!
      -Kevin

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BBruins12 View Post
      Hey guys!

This thread is perfect, because I've been looking to change up my stereo (06 aveo LT) and wasn't sure how to go about doing it.
      I know how to get my reciever changed out, but any suggestions on speakers? The damned things in these are TINY...

Also: Any suggestion for mounting a mini-sub in the sidewalls of the trunk? I know it's a slim space between the felt and the ACTUAL sidewall, but I figured it was worth asking...someone might have an answer.

Thanks!
      -Kevin
      i'm a new aveo owner, i have a 2007 LT hatchback...i'd also like to install a new stereo system in my car so ive been reading a lot around this site on the subject. i'd like to get a double din head unit with ipod compatibility and an EQ for more detailed sound shaping... as far as speakers go, based on whatl i've read here at the site, i'm thinking of doing 6.5" in the front doors with a 1" spacer to prevent issues with the windows rolling down all the way. The rear factory speakers can be replaced with 4x6 speakers, but sinking two 6x9's into the rear hatch cover behind the rear seats is also an option. And finally a 10" sub enclosure for a little kick. I'd use a 4 channel amp to power the front 6.5"s and rear 6x9's, and another to power the 10" sub. I could also use the head unit to power the 4x6's in the rear. I think this would be a good set up for an aveo hatchback, any thoughts out there on a set up like this? And is there a good double din stereo out there with an EQ built in?

--the original poster was on a budget, i'll spend a couple grand for a good system in this car, i just need a really good, powerful head unit, and good amps that have the power but wont get too hot when running... when it comes to car audio, you get what you pay for and I want clear, loud, powerful sound for my own enjoyment, not to enter competitions or lift the car a foot off the pavement, just a high quality sound system....any help is appreciated.

Last edited by AceAveo; 08-22-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast