•  

Thread: 2010 Low fuel indicator light

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2010 Low fuel indicator light

I recently purchased a used 2010 LT with 42K and noticed the owners manual mentioned a low fuel indicator light on dash, but I wasn't exactly sure where this low fuel warning light was thinking maybe on the fuel gauge or elsewhere? To see how far I could go on low fuel to activate the low fuel warning light and find out where it was I drove the car low on fuel until it came on and noticed the low fuel indicator light gas pump icon was was not on the fuel gauge but actually located below it on the dash and barely visible during daylight to be pretty much useless! Is this typical barely visible during the day or is there something wrong with this back lit low fuel dash warning light being perhaps not plugged in all the way to make it appear brighter on the dash?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bobalou View Post
      To see how far I could go on low fuel to activate the low fuel warning light and find out where it was I drove the car low on fuel until it came on and noticed the low fuel indicator light gas pump icon was was not on the fuel gauge but actually located below it on the dash and barely visible during daylight to be pretty much useless! Is this typical barely visible during the day or is there something wrong with this back lit low fuel dash warning light being perhaps not plugged in all the way to make it appear brighter on the dash?
      There's nothing wrong with the indicator. This is common on many cars - the indicator light is hard to see in bright sunlight. But you already know you are low on fuel by looking at the fuel gauge. You can go at least 20 miles on a gallon, but be aware that the Aveo has a small fuel tank (12 gallons).

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I just bought this Aveo LT and like to check things out before needing to count on something. This little test drive on low fuel came as a surprise when I saw how dim the low fuel indicator actually is. I happened to be on a limited access parkway with many miles between gas exits. The owners manual states low fuel light activates with 1.7 gals left in the 12 gallon tank. Driving 65mph with 11AM daylight with the gauge needle hovering on E I kept my eye on the dash waiting for a low fuel indicator light to appear(my 99 BMW Z3 Coupe and 02 Mazda 626 low fuel indicator lights are on the gauges and shine bright in daylight when activated)

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi Bobalou,

After checking your Owner's Manual on pg. 4-13. You can try adjusting the feature that controls the brightness of the instrument
      panel lights. The thumbwheel for this feature is located on the instrument panel to the left of the steering column.Turn the thumbwheel to brighten or dim the lights and see if that makes any difference. If not, I would suggest contacting your dealership to see if the indicator light is malfunctioning.

Please keep me posted on what you decide to do.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html