•  

Thread: No Start issue - your opinions?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

No Start issue - your opinions?

Hi there, I've been reading a lot on here, and my 2005 Aveo 5-spd decided that it's time for me to post.
      Basically, I bought the car as a reconstructed vehicle to save gas and miles on my much more expensive truck. I like driving the car, I like parking the car, and god do I like putting gas in the little tank!

A few weeks ago, it had been hot out (hot for us is in the 70's) and finally it cooled down for a rainy morning in the 50's. Unfortunately that morning the Aveo wouldn't start. I drove the truck to work, came home about 11 hours later, turned the key and the Aveo started. It worked fine for a few days, happened again, same result, started fine 1/2 day later.

Now, it's no longer starting at all. The battery is good and the engine turns over same as it always did, just no fire.
      I had recently replaced spark plugs, and oil change a week or so before that. The compression seems fine based on the speed of cranking (man that's a scientific way to test compression, eh?)

When I changed the spark plugs, the plug wells had a fair amount of oil in them. I bought a valve cover gasket to put in, and new plug wires in case the oil had degraded them.

I rented a fuel pressure test kit and bought an inline spark checker. Both show nothing. Zero pressure and zero spark. I had tested spark by grounding a plug to the head before that and seen no spark either, so I tried a new coil pack. The fuel pump primes on key-on and although the gauge showed no pressure, fuel comes out of the schrader valve when you push it, but not at high pressure like expected.

So the big question: Is my ECU likely dead? I've checked all the fuses for it and the Inj/Ign fuse in both fuse boxes.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Just to let people know, it was corrosion on the plug for the oil level (or pressure) senson underneath the oil filter. Pulled that plug (left sensor in) apart to test as it was mentioned in other threads. It has 3 wires, so I didn't know which to short to test, instead I cleaned them up (the terminals were green with corrosion) and plugged it back in. Finally, it started! At least in the process of diagnosing I got new plugs/wires/valve cover gasket.
      Now to diagnose my slowly decreasing fuel economy...
      Last edited by PolarisDan; 07-08-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks
      Glad to see you got it fixed and thanks for reporting back to let us know what the problems actually was.