•  

Thread: Accelerator Pedal Position Fault Codes

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Accelerator Pedal Position Fault Codes

Hello everyone, I am getting an occasional check engine light and reduced power. I get three fault codes (I didn't write down the numbers) when I scan the ECU. Two of the codes are for a low voltage correlation for the accelerator pedal position sensor and one for "limp home" mode. If I clear the codes and shut off the engine and restart everything is good to go. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact combination that is causing it, but it seems to only happen when accelerating from slow speed, shifting through 1st to 3rd gears with some combination of the clutch and accelerator as the car lurches forward. A new accelerator pedal position sensor is almost $200 bucks (you have to buy the whole accelerator pedal assembly, not just the sensor), and taking it to the dealer or mechanic will run at least $100 just to look at it. I am kind of hesitant to do either one without knowing if anyone else has encountered this problem before. I also installed an aftermarket cruise control about 2 years ago, and it is the only thing electrically that I can find that connects to the accelerator pedal position circuit. I don't know why after 2 years of operating fine why all of the sudden it would cause a problem though. Anyone ever seen this or have an thoughts? Thanks

Thanks
      I haven't heard of people having problems with the pedal position sensor. You might want to double check your electrical connections for the cruise control. If they used those wire tap things it could making a intermittent connection and causing issues.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by oldman17 View Post
      Hello everyone, I am getting an occasional check engine light and reduced power. I get three fault codes (I didn't write down the numbers) when I scan the ECU. Two of the codes are for a low voltage correlation for the accelerator pedal position sensor and one for "limp home" mode. If I clear the codes and shut off the engine and restart everything is good to go. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact combination that is causing it, but it seems to only happen when accelerating from slow speed, shifting through 1st to 3rd gears with some combination of the clutch and accelerator as the car lurches forward. A new accelerator pedal position sensor is almost $200 bucks (you have to buy the whole accelerator pedal assembly, not just the sensor), and taking it to the dealer or mechanic will run at least $100 just to look at it. I am kind of hesitant to do either one without knowing if anyone else has encountered this problem before. I also installed an aftermarket cruise control about 2 years ago, and it is the only thing electrically that I can find that connects to the accelerator pedal position circuit. I don't know why after 2 years of operating fine why all of the sudden it would cause a problem though. Anyone ever seen this or have an thoughts? Thanks
      My accelerator pedal (including the electronic sensor as it's one assembly) was found to be defective when the car was only three months old. It was replaced under warranty. Yours might be eligible under warranty if it is still covered. But if you altered the circuit that may have voided the warranty. Dealers often will point to and document add-ons and alterations as a reason to claim rejection of the warranty.