•  

Thread: 2009 Aveo lt "eco-tech?" thermostat

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2009 Aveo lt "eco-tech?" thermostat [Solved]

Hello all;

TLDR: Need assistance finding a Thermostat unit for my 2009 Chevy Aveo LT Sedan with an "Eco-Tech" engine.

Long Background:

I've got a 2009 Aveo LT sedan, apparently with an eco-tech engine. When leaving work on the 1st, I noticed the Hold light flashing and the engine transmission acting funky. Stopped in a parking lot to try to see what was going on, found many things that it could be - most not good. I was able to get onto the freeway and to safe speeds but noticed the RPM was sitting at about 3k and the temp gauge wasn't moving.

When I got home, I checked my engine - it seemed hotter than normal but I also normally don't open it after driving 75mph for a half hour. One hose from the coolant reservoir was hot, the other was merely warm. After some searching online I discovered that the temp gauge and transmission issues had a possible root cause in a busted thermostat. Taking it to a Pep Boys the next morning (Saturday, the 2nd) determined it was the thermostat (and also a reporting cooling flow issue), and my regular mechanic told me not to drive the vehicle for risk of overheating it (I figured driving it to/from the Pepboys, about a mile each way on residential roads, would be fine if I took it slow).

I ordered a thermostat through Pepboys Parts department and set to get the part replaced today, Sunday the 3rd, and dropped off my car at the shop and started walking home. Halfway to the walk they called me up; apparently I have a different engine than expected and Pep Boys does not carry the part, and I would have to likely go through a dealer to obtain one.

Verbose Request:

Most websites have only one option for the Aveo Engine, which is apparently not the one I have in my car. I am sadly ill-informed and unfamiliar with vehicles; I just drive the things. While my prior car slowly going kaput (Ill-treated and poorly maintained prior my purchase 2001 Toyota Corolla) has led to a rushed course in understanding modern cars, I still find navigating auto-parts to be difficult, and Google is apparently failing me. I wish to avoid having to purchase the part full price from a dealer and hope that the knowledgeable people on this forum may be able to assist me, but am fully prepared to fork over the cash if need be.

Thank you in advance for your assistance;

H. Thiel

Last edited by Summercat; 04-07-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Marking as solved

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Try this:
      2009 CHEVROLET AVEO 1.6L L4 Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet | RockAuto

They list both the older style and newer there.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Try this:
      2009 CHEVROLET AVEO 1.6L L4 Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet | RockAuto

They list both the older style and newer there.
      Thank you for the information!

I ended up having to go through a dealer to get the specific part, as I needed my car back ASAP ($35/day for a car rental, not exactly something I can easily afford on top of repairs). Dealer had the part for $112, and delivered it same-day to the Pep Boys for $14. I could have probably gone and picked it up myself, but considered the 14 insurance in case Pep Boys got the wrong part again.

Total cost of repairs was about $304; about what I was expecting for the labor and markup on coolant.

Engine is now working fine, replacing the thermostat solved that problem. I just hope I didn't end up damaging the engine when I drove it home from work. Going to make an appointment with my regular mechanic my next day off (Just a small drive of about 50 miles; I used to live a lot closer) to check just about everything. I know I've got a busted Catalytic Converter, but I've got 2 years or so to fix it, and since there's a non-0 chance of moving out of California, I think I'll hold off on that.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Considering the prices at rock auto you came out ahead. I hate engineers that make stuff more expensive to fix. On the 2006 when my Tstat busted it cost me about 40 bucks plus tools to do the repair on the side of the road.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      I'm sure the dealer part was just the thermostat and not the housing too. The t-stat is $59 on rock auto, which
      is still crazy for what it is. Mine is currently stuck open...