•  
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aveo Bucking/Jerking/Losing Power

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      both of your issues sound like a MAF or the primary o2 sensor. But codes would be needed to make that more than a guess.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      both of your issues sound like a MAF or the primary o2 sensor. But codes would be needed to make that more than a guess.
      The last code I had was P0137, the Bank 1 Sensor 2, but I have had P0506 and P0507 (Idle Air control system RPM Low/High) errors before. From what I've read though, codes like P0137 can be caused by engine misfires, rather than the sensor being faulty, so it could be a symptom rather than a cause.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by moods5588 View Post
      I have a 2009 Chevy aveo5 LS. My car runs fine but then will randomly lose power and by power I mean that no matter how far a push down on the gas pedal it wont accelerate. When this happens it's like turtle speed trying to pull into a parking lot or anywhere to get off the road. I noticed this last time that if I shut my car off and then wait a couple minutes it will drive fine but the check engine light stays on for a little bit and then turns off. Every time I have tried to get it scanned at any auto parts store it shuts there scanner down and are unable to check anything. Anyone know what would be the problem? I have read a lot of people saying catalytic converter but I'm not sure if thats my problem. ANy help would be greatly appreciated
      I had that happen in my '06 just a couple of years after buying it. It turned out there was a cracked vacuum tube connector. The crack was so small I couldn't see it at first. Had a helluva time finding it, but after replacing it, no more problems for a long long time...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ranjmaz View Post
      I have a similiar issue with my manual 2008 aveo5 Special Value with 43k miles. Before I get into that, 4 months ago I was having misfires (0301, 0302, 0303, 0304). The car would stall several times on cold starts after it had accelerated and was placed into neutral. I have a short commute, so I routinely place the car into neutral to coast. At that time, the coil pack was replaced, as well as the spark plugs and lines. The problem was better but still persisted. I then had a 45 minute fuel system, fuel rail, flush. I believe something similar to seafoam was used. At any rate, after that, the car ran great (I was using seafoam periodically as well) up until a few days ago.

The car started to lightly surge on the expressway at 75 mph, it was so subtle at first, I thought it might be the wind. The problem got progressively worse in the next few days. I was unable to accelerate in 5th gear beyond 60 mph, or 2500 rpm. The car began bucking, surging, lurching, lunging, violently in any gear, and when it would stop, it would come back when the accelerator was eased up slightly, again, any gear. 1st thru 4th will not go beyond 3000 to 3500 rpm. The car will accelerate to this point, and then begin to taper off and stay at a value just under. Pumping the gas has little to no effect.
      We've been getting the same P0301 code recently on a 5 spd manual 2010. Tonight I'm going to change plugs & wires then put some Seafoam in the tank and see if that helps it out.

Thanks
      So I read a number of posts on several forums regarding 09-10 Aveos losing power at freeway speeds and the the throttle becoming unresponsive, resulting in horrifying situations. Turning the car off and restarting it cures the problem for a bit. This was happening with my daughters 09 and like many other reports there was no CEL or Codes present. After confirming the coil/plug recall was completed:

Cleaned the throttle body... no change

Replaced the Fuel Pump Relay... no change

Replaced the fuel pump... no change

so now im into this thing for a couple hundred bucks when I stumble across a Pontiac g3/wave forum describing the exact problem (no CEL or Codes), saying that the problem in thier 2009/10 Deawoo was resolved by changing the upstream O2 sensor. So whats another $100... skeptically to Amazon I go and order an AC Delco O2 Sensor (part number 213-4549).

The car has been running perfectly (2 weeks) since installing the new O2 Sensor, fom my reading (not expierence) I would caution against anything other than a genuine AC Delco part.

I hope this helps anyone struggling with the same Daewoo/GM issues

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fredgmeyer For This Useful Post:

Napdan (02-08-2018)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by fredgmeyer View Post
      So I read a number of posts on several forums regarding 09-10 Aveos losing power at freeway speeds and the the throttle becoming unresponsive, resulting in horrifying situations. Turning the car off and restarting it cures the problem for a bit. This was happening with my daughters 09 and like many other reports there was no CEL or Codes present. After confirming the coil/plug recall was completed:

Cleaned the throttle body... no change

Replaced the Fuel Pump Relay... no change

Replaced the fuel pump... no change

so now im into this thing for a couple hundred bucks when I stumble across a Pontiac g3/wave forum describing the exact problem (no CEL or Codes), saying that the problem in thier 2009/10 Deawoo was resolved by changing the upstream O2 sensor. So whats another $100... skeptically to Amazon I go and order an AC Delco O2 Sensor (part number 213-4549).

The car has been running perfectly (2 weeks) since installing the new O2 Sensor, fom my reading (not expierence) I would caution against anything other than a genuine AC Delco part.

I hope this helps anyone struggling with the same Daewoo/GM issues
      Similar steps to what I took. Replaced spark plugs, ignition coil, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the fuel pump, nothing fixed. Currently in testing after finding a loose connection with moisture on the Transmission Range Sensor (and a related error code showed up), but if it doesn't solve the issue I'll be replacing the downstream O2 sensor, since that seems to be the only relatively consistent code I had show up.

EDIT: It's been over a week since drying and properly connecting the Transmission Range Sensor (and reseating other fuses, connectors and relays, but only the TRS had moisture), and I think I'm good to go, and placing the blame on the loose TRS connector (and the tech that probably knocked it loose when he was topping up the transmission fluid).
      Last edited by CKTofu; 04-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by harmfuladam View Post
      We've been getting the same P0301 code recently on a 5 spd manual 2010. Tonight I'm going to change plugs & wires then put some Seafoam in the tank and see if that helps it out.
      We took it and did the recall for the plugs and boots and haven't had a problem since.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My Aveo5 5 speed had a bucking and stalling problem and would restart after 10 minutes or so. My mechanic replaced the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor and all has been well since (about 3 weeks now).

Thanks
      My story: bought 2009 aveo5 to save gas to and from work...a year later, i experience this..loss of power...flooring it with no response and suddenly it wod pick up ... Was told it could be the coil pack ... Found out recall was done on it .. Bought ngk iridiums and it was fine for two months... The issue is back , cant afford dealership, no codes... Im bummed out . Haha .. Good thing its not my primary vehicle.

What's wrong with my car? Seana's Avatar
      Thanks
      When this happened with my 2008 sedan the first mechanic said spark plugs - had those replaced and the jerking improved a little, but still no power when I accelerated and lots of jerking when I got to about 30km/hr. The 2nd mechanic said o2 sensors and catalytic converter. I took my car to a Chev dealer and got the catalytic converter replaced under warranty (8yrs/130,000km emissions warranty. The dealer didn't know about that one until I told him -thanks Aveoforums!) They also replaced the front control arm bushings ($300) which was probably worsened by the jerking. No engine codes for any of it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Seana For This Useful Post:

Orange_Crush (02-08-2016)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast