•  

Thread: Car losing power at higher rpm

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Question Car losing power at higher rpm

So my car just started acting funny on me ive been driving my aveo the same for a year i usually shift at 5000rpm,
      and it was always strong and felt great but now when i get to 2000-3000rpm my car kinda sputters as if its gonna die, it does it in all gears. my flashing check engine light came on tonight when i laid on the gas but went off after 10 minutes of driving, i have no idea what it is and ive been reading alot on here about it but got alot of diff ideas

spark plugs, timing belt, bad fuel, clogged throttle, bad oil, bad gas, ect ect so im kinda stuck here i dont really feel safe driving it honestly please help!

My car hit 80k and is giving me problems beyond belief!!!!!!! haha

Also its been 20k since last oil change have not changed plugs or sprakys in 30k not sure when last changed honestly

Last edited by JJ Money; 07-09-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      well i know i can feel some hesitation when i am due for an oil change, and the car feels peppier afterward. The aveo is the only car i have ever felt that in though. I still most often change my oil on moths and mileage, but sometimes I do it earlier because of how it is driving. You need to be changing your oil. Period.

The next thing to do is start the car, and then mist the wires and coil pack with water, if the need replaced, they will arc, or the car will sputter, this is fun to do in the dark because if they are bad it can be like watching fire works. I usually start at the furthest plug from the coil pack, and then work towards, this helps distinguish if its wires or the coil pack. Don't touch them until the cars turned off.

Change your plugs.

If that doesn't fix it, you will be cleaning the throttle body, it probably needs done anyhow because of haven't changed your oil in 20k miles. The oil breather goes into the intake, its the "dirty" oil that runs up the passage and gums up the throttle body.

Odds of bad gas are slim as a prolonged problem unless you get the same gas from the same station everytime, and they havent gotten new gas to cycle out their bad gas, etc..

If your 20k over do on your timing belt, change it or youll have a lawn ornament and tell everyone aveos suck when it was your negligence that killed the car.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JJ Money View Post
      So my car just started acting funny on me ive been driving my aveo the same for a year i usually shift at 5000rpm,
      and it was always strong and felt great but now when i get to 2000-3000rpm my car kinda sputters as if its gonna die, it does it in all gears. my flashing check engine light came on tonight when i laid on the gas but went off after 10 minutes of driving, i have no idea what it is and ive been reading alot on here about it but got alot of diff ideas

spark plugs, timing belt, bad fuel, clogged throttle, bad oil, bad gas, ect ect so im kinda stuck here i dont really feel safe driving it honestly please help!

My car hit 80k and is giving me problems beyond belief!!!!!!! haha

Also its been 20k since last oil change have not changed plugs or sprakys in 30k not sure when last changed honestly
      Hi JJMoney,

If you would like to private message me your VIN# I can look up your vehicle's history. Because I am not a Certified technician, I am unable to diagnose what's going on here. I would suggest taking it in to your dealership to be serviced.

Vanessa,
      Chevrolet Customer Service

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      well i know i can feel some hesitation when i am due for an oil change, and the car feels peppier afterward. The aveo is the only car i have ever felt that in though. I still most often change my oil on moths and mileage, but sometimes I do it earlier because of how it is driving. You need to be changing your oil. Period.

The next thing to do is start the car, and then mist the wires and coil pack with water, if the need replaced, they will arc, or the car will sputter, this is fun to do in the dark because if they are bad it can be like watching fire works. I usually start at the furthest plug from the coil pack, and then work towards, this helps distinguish if its wires or the coil pack. Don't touch them until the cars turned off.

Change your plugs.

If that doesn't fix it, you will be cleaning the throttle body, it probably needs done anyhow because of haven't changed your oil in 20k miles. The oil breather goes into the intake, its the "dirty" oil that runs up the passage and gums up the throttle body.

Odds of bad gas are slim as a prolonged problem unless you get the same gas from the same station everytime, and they havent gotten new gas to cycle out their bad gas, etc..

If your 20k over do on your timing belt, change it or youll have a lawn ornament and tell everyone aveos suck when it was your negligence that killed the car.

Ok so i bought new spark plugs today from auto zone 4 copper auto-lite, didn't notice a huge difference. Did the water test tonight and nothing happened watered all plugs and coil pack no sparks no nothing, I did clean my throttle body a few days ago but only did as much as i could. i only took off the intake tube, bad gas prob not i go to alot of diff places. so ill be going to meineke next week for my oil change should i just go with the standard oil change or something a little stronger? what would you suggest?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Never-mind! ran the car today and the spark plugs did the trick! No more hesitation! Thanks All!

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JJ Money View Post
      Never-mind! ran the car today and the spark plugs did the trick! No more hesitation! Thanks All!

JJ Money,
      Thanks for the update. Please feel free to post if you need further assistance.

Vanessa,
      GM Customer Service