•  

Thread: Losing power after acceleration

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Losing power after acceleration

I'm running into a problem with my 2010 Aveo5. If I have to accelerate quickly when the car first starts up in the morning, I'm lossing power. I sometimes have to accelerate the car quickly to move into into traffic, but then when I decelerate the car loss power, and will not accelerate again until I stop the car completely and press the accelerator again ??? Has anyone run into a problem like this. It's as if the transmition is stuck in high gear, or the engine was flooded.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i think your supposed to lose power when you take your foot off the pedal, but the lack of response when you put it back on is an issue. Do you have a check engine light? doe the engine sound like its running smoothly and accelerating, but the car does not move? is it a manual or auto? This sounds like a fuel issue, if the only thing that will fix it is restarting, and only this one post as a description, i am going to guess fuel pump relay first. After clarification, i will probably change my mind.

Thanks
      The car is an automatic. The check engine light does not come on. Then engine does run smoothly, but it is like the gas pedal is not operating and I'm coasting no matter what I do to the pedal.

I probably did not describe what happens well. When I stop accelerating and want to maintain my speed (say at 50 mph) I can't, the car will start to decelerate even if I start to push the gas pedal back down. This will happen until I come to a stop, and (Without shutting down the engine) press the gas pedal to start backup. It is weird this only has happened when the engine is cold.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
      The car is an automatic. The check engine light does not come on. Then engine does run smoothly, but it is like the gas pedal is not operating and I'm coasting no matter what I do to the pedal.
      Pedal sensor problem in drive by wire?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      2010 Aveo5 here, too. Just started happening to me. Mine is a manual. Not sure if it's the cold weather. Coincidentally I just installed a new head unit. Restarting is the only thing that gets it to work. Happened to me TWICE this morning. Anyone got an idea?
      2010 AVEO5. Flossin' and bossin'

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it sounds like this is the dbw throttle body (but it would cause a check engine light), without the light it could be the fuel pump relay, or fuel pump signal. i would check your fuel pressures, both while driving and again when it happens.

Being it does not have all the time, happens more when its cold, and i had a similar problem (one time) it could also be the o2, or maf. but those should also signal a light.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Okay, here's an update since I posted earlier. I just got off work, I figured to try to solve the problem I would let the car warm up. Bad idea. After about 30 seconds of idling, the car started shaking uncontrollably. I turned it off after about 10 seconds of shaking. The Check Engine light is on. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer Wednesday. I would tomorrow if I didn't have to work.
      2010 AVEO5. Flossin' and bossin'

Thanks
      I haven't had the problem since I posted, but since I said that it might happen today