•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight-tires & rims

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Losing Weight-tires & rims

First off, does anybody know what each 14" factory wheel weighs? Guy at the tire shop guessed about 27lbs. The tires I have may not be factory... but anybody know the weight for the factory (or average 14" tires)?
      I have noticed from taking times in the same place; a 150lb passenger slows my 0-60mph time by roughly 1.5 sec & a 200lb passenger slows the time by approximately 2 seconds. This equates to half a second for every 50 pounds, the way I see it. I am wondering how much weight I can lose at the wheels... probably 50lbs or more. So far, I looked at one that was 17 lbs per rim only to gauge weight... Like, can anybody recommend a cool looking shiny chrome or black/chrome rim that's really LIGHT and a good tire to go with? A guess at the total weight savings (or per tire ; ) would be cool, too! Oh, and wouldn't lighter tires/wheels make it easier for your wheels to spin/be spun? I dunno... seems like something about the rotational inertia, same reason the lighter crankshaft pulley is better. Oh, BTW, looking at 16" rims for the 6 months it doesn't snow here. Thanks! Have a great day.

Last edited by Weirdo_Joe; 09-07-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      When i put rims on my wife's car, I could feel a big difference in how the car drove. They were heavier than a stock steel rim and made the car seem heavier and accel slower. You are correct in your assumption abouot a lighter wheel being easier to spin, the car will feel more nimble because there is less rotational stress. One problem I see is if you want a chrome look, you will have a difficult time finding a lightweight chrome rim. If you want a lightweight rim, first of all you will need to pay alot of money, and secondly, go for racing brand rims. off the top of my head, BBS, Konig, Enkei, Rota, and even Dunlop make good rims but you will find that almost all of them are made of some type of aluminum alloy. Chrome to me is for show, which is fine, but will be heavier. as for tires, rubber compounds vary in weight but not to a noticable point. what you do want is a nice sports/racing tire if you want less drag. This is all from my own opinion, If im wrong with any of this, please correct me when all yall chime in.
      JR

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Sweet! Yeah, I kinda was looking at some Konig rims, but they were still 23 lbs a piece... I guess I'm not looking for real chrome... just shiny! Or black... I'm seeing some aluminum alloy wheels that are pretty light. It's just gonna be a matter of finding some with a bolt pattern that matches. Thanks for the info, tho! Especially on the spinning thing!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      anything under 15 lbs is "light" mine are under 15.. 12 is usually the limit on street wheels.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      Very light wheels usually mean higher price tag....
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      yes it does however, kosei K1 are 11.4 lbs and can be had for @ $135

tirerack actually allows you to sort your wheel search by weight..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The bolt pattern for the aveo is the very common 4x100mm used on many japanese cars, as well as some german, and euro cars. Rims are not hard to find. the hard part is forking over $500 - $1000 to buy them, then another 500 for Good tires plus the labor for getting the tires mounted on the rims if you cant diy. like i always say to my friends who complain about expensive car parts. speed is money, you can build fast cars with deep pockets.

If you want to look at rims tirerack like rabbit said or even summitracing can give you a look at some options, and can help by filtering the boltpattern, brand, even wheelspacing and sizes

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i would never spend $500 on tires. There are many good/great options in the sizes the aveo uses for much much cheaper..

I am currently running a set of sunny tires, i paid $200 shipped for them, $50 to mount and balance, and have over 10k miles on them, they handle great, still have 7/32 + on them, and that means they have already lasted as long (for me) as tires that cost 2-3x as much.

sunny, triangle talon, kumho, nexen, nankang, falken, yokohama, toyo all have tire options around the $50 point each that are plenty of performance for what the aveo is capable of.. just make sure you pick the performance tread patterns, and not their economy patterns (unless you want economy).

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      I took 115 lbs off of my car. I asked my girl to get out of my car haha.

Thanks
      yeah i just put new rims on last week and i defiantly noticed a slower acceleration..
      it sucks but (form>function) right
      talking about weight i have like a massive sub box in my trunk... im sure that doesnt help anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast