•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: thinking about new rims/tires

I'll keep it and add a turbo Kalos Princess's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

thinking about new rims/tires

I'm thinking about getting new rims and tires. I like the Primax 659's and they are within my price range. I found them on Wheelsnext.com . I'm just not sure what size I want to go with. I will, and have, admitted before that I am not really knowledgeable about cars so I am not too sure what the best size to go with would be. My Aveo5 is my only vehicle. I drive a lot. (just hit 7000 and Ive had her for almost 5 months) My dad and boyfriend thing I should go as big as possible. I was only looking to go to a 15" but not thinking about 16". I dont know how I feel at all about 17". I just want my car to look nice. Also, the bigger you go, the more expensive they are.....so that holds me back too.
      I know 15" are easier to come by at shops...(i wanted rims for my last car, a 95 nissan sentra, with 13" wheels and i had just busted a tire so i had all new ones, so i didnt want to go any bigger, and the place i went to laughed at me for wanting 13" rims. I was really annoyed so I never returned the catalogs that he "NEEDED" back. lol....i'm bitter like that :P )
      Anyways, what I am trying to say, is if I do go bigger, are there consequences? Good or Bad.....

2009 Tahiti Green Aveo5 named Kalos
      Tinted windows
      Blacked out chevy emblems/license plate cover

Thanks

Re: thinking about new rims/tires

2 things come to mind:

1) If you go too big/wide, you can end up with tires that rub when you turn and compress the suspension a lot - like when turning into somewhat steep driveway entrances. (I don't think this will be a problem if you're only thinking about 15's or 16's.)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the really large wheels - makes vehicles look like Tonka toys to my eyes - but that's only my opinion.

2) If you increase the outside diameter of the tire compared to stock, your speedometer/odometer won't be accurate any more (assuming they are now ). EG - a larger tire circumference would cause your speedo/odo to read lower than actual.

That may not be an issue for you - if you figure out the % difference, you can compensate to be at the "correct" speed when you need to be. 2 of my cars have a bigger circumference than stock, and it doesn't bother me much.
      ---
      Aveo Underdrive Pulleys -- $20 Off Sale This Week. Get more info here.
      ---

Thanks

Another consequence of going bigger is a rougher ride since the sidewall of the tire isn't as thick and therefore won't absorb bumps as much.

IMO 15s or 16s look good. Tirerack.com has a nice comparison feature. The only thing is they don't have the wheels you want.

Thanks

Thanks! I probably wont be purchasing anything anytime soon. I've got a bunch of other stuff to save up for that is higher on the priority list than playing with my car. lol.
      In all actuality, I will probably end up going with a 15". Just because I don't want to change too much about how it rides.
      Once I do get new wheels I'll be painting my calipers to match my car.
      Tinted windows

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

The 17"s would look better if it would be lowered.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

just when I thought I had made up my mind about my rims....i may have changed my mind. Instead of 15", I am going to go with 16".....this may change again since bigger means more $$$. I wish i could see an aveo like mine with the different sizes and styles. None of the virtual programs have my color, or Aveo's at all.
      and I dont have photoshop to work with either.
      Anyways. Probably wont be getting them till later in the year, but now i'll be checking out my options for 16".
      Tinted windows

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kalos Princess
      just when I thought I had made up my mind about my rims....i may have changed my mind. Instead of 15", I am going to go with 16".....this may change again since bigger means more $$$. I wish i could see an aveo like mine with the different sizes and styles. None of the virtual programs have my color, or Aveo's at all.
      and I dont have photoshop to work with either.
      Anyways. Probably wont be getting them till later in the year, but now i'll be checking out my options for 16".
      Here take a look at this:
      http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniWhee ... =0&sw=1280
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

If you want my opinion, I've had just about every size rims on my Aveo. I've got a whole shed full of 4x100 wheels I've tried on the Aveo. 13x10's, 14's(several sets), 15x7's, 15x8's(which do not fit btw), 16x7s(several sets), 17x7's and 17x7.5's. I have a thread with a bunch of them on my car too, but I didn't have time to take pics of all of them: http://aveonetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=115. In my honest opinion I have been the happiest with 16's as far as overall look. Not too big, but not tiny either. I loved my 17x7.5's, but you can't really lower your car much on those. So, I will be running 16's for winter and staggered offset 15's for summer so I can drop really low. I would go with 16's if I were you. Check out discounttiredirect.com. They have cheap wheel and tire deals all the time, that come mounted and balanced and I think they may still be doing free shipping. I'll check.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Ok, I didn't know what kind of wheels and tires you're interested in, but I just tried it out with these Liquid Metal "Static" wheels:

with these 205/40/R16 Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires, which gives you a wider more aggressive footprint for better performance but you would still be able lower some on these later if you wanted:

All this for $763 shipped to your door in Orlando, and I believe they come mounted and balanced and they come with the new lug nuts you will need. They've got a bunch of other wheels and tires too, so check em' out. Good luck.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks

what website did you find the static wheels on? I couldnt find them on discounttiredirect.com
      I am hoping to find something in black, and accented with chrome (since that is the palette that the car is).
      I originally wanted to do color matched, but the powder coating place I know doesnt have a color identical to mine and cant make it, so i am sticking with black and chrome.
      I want something that will be able to show the calipers, which I will eventually paint to match the car. Might find a place to powder coat them to match the car.

Tinted windows

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast