•  
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: stupid ricer brochure

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Because a higher octane rating is going to take more time to detonate after the spark, you can advance timing safely to produce more power. If you advance timing with regular gas, the lower octane gas will ignite before Top Dead Center, causing knock. That's just what exodus was trying to say.

Higher Octane = Harder to detonate = More delay between spark and detonation = less volatile.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus
      [nitpick]

You can advance the timing as much as you want and it's not going to detonate. Traditionally detonation/knocking is the air/fuel mixture igniting without a spark (too much heat due to compression). The "knocking" bit happens when you have preignition due to heat... and secondary ignition due to the spark plug. When the two flame fronts collide, you get a "knock."

[/nitpick]

With advanced ignition timing you want to use a higher octane (slower burning) fuel so that the flame front doesn't hit the piston before it's TDC, to prevent damage to the rod/piston/bearing. This will generally push your peak power to a lower rpm.
      lol thank you...i noticed that you posted whilst i was posting lol. i had a couple discussions with peers and it definantly helped and your explanation is the best so i applaud you. lol i guess my argument is...how many pony's are you actually gaining...and is it really worth the xtra 20-40 cents a gallon in gas.

on a side note i've lost alot of respect for ppl that claim they know about cars that really go to a shop and think that every performance part is gonna give them a set X amount of horse. but i'm come to find that really to gain that power you have to have it running with something else and have the engine balanced in a sense...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Simply advancing ignition timing and using a higher octane fuel may or may not give you extra power (anyone care to chime in on this one...)... it will however give you your power quicker.

whether or not it's worth the extra money depends on the driver and situation. If you're a competitive auto/rallycrosser who doesn't want to spend 6Gs on a short ratio gear set, then I'd say yes.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks
      ya know thats interesting that you mentioned that becuz i was having a pretty heated debate with a friend about how it produced power and i was arguing that it would only increase acceleration not actual power. since higher octane fuel as the same amount of btu's as a lower octane fuel. and i was thinking about how you could get more power by having more burn time of the fuel. but it seemed to really contradict itself as you have more time..but a slower burning fuel rather than a shorter time and a shorter burning fuel. lol honestly i really want to experiment and see how much faster lower octane fuel burns in comparison to higher octane...i need to do more research on this.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      so you guys are saying taht all we have to do is avance our ignition timing and switch to higher octane and we make power? i dont think so

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      so you guys are saying taht all we have to do is avance our ignition timing and switch to higher octane and we make power? i dont think so
      Ummm.....no. That's not what they're saying. Are you actually reading the words or just looking at the screen blankly?
      Simply advancing ignition timing and using a higher octane fuel may or may not give you extra power (anyone care to chime in on this one...)... it will however give you your power quicker.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      While advancing the ignition will give you slight gains, it will also increase the combustion temperatures and increase the risk of predetonation, which a higher octane fuel can help fend off.

On the other hand, once you turbo a car, you will need to retard the timing a bit since the compressor will heat up the air and cause detonation. The retarding of the timing DEFINATELY decreases power so a higher octane fuel allows you to keep it.

For example, I was pulling about 14 degrees of timing at 17psi on my Subaru, but at 5psi I didn't have to pull any at all. 17psi was the max boost I could make power, anything above that I had to pull even more timing which decreased the power so it was no longer worth adding boost.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by pqaveo
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      Ummm.....no. That's not what they're saying. Are you actually reading the words or just looking at the screen blankly?

lol well it took a while for that to actually come out. most ppl were saying it added power instead of increased simple acceleration... lol i'm actually glad this came up ..i know that much more about engines.

Thanks
      Does anyone think it's popular for kids in japan to put USDM parts on their cars?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Alex
      Does anyone think it's popular for kids in japan to put USDM parts on their cars?
      I heard some cars they do... like their verson of the Scion

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast