•  

Thread: Project anti roll - M33 EVL

What do you mean there's no turbo? M33EVL's Avatar
      Thanks

Post Project anti roll - M33 EVL

Hey everyone,
      I dont know about you guys rides but mine seems to sway and tilt and all sorts. So i decided to firm things up abit.
      i already had the front and rear strut bars installed but since taking out my rear seats and stripping the interior to a minimum i lost some rigidness the seats may had given me.
      i placed an order last night for a front lower anti roll brace/ bar and the rear anti roll bar both 19mm from ultra racing.
      i noticed they had other type bars but wasnt available for the old aveo
      Like fender bars and a bar that runs behind the front two seats and joins the sides together, all helping keep the car solid and not leaning about.

Im thinking to replicate the fender bars... I have lambo hinges installed which use a J type hinge so i coud just weld on to that or bolt up bits together to help reduce it all.

Thinking to build something that goes down the middle that the sedans have available from ultra racing to.

Anyone got any other ideas?? Solutions, tips or advice???

O and suspension i have thought of...
      I've seen a few diff suspension setups and todate so far i personally favour petrified.rabbits vw solution. So i will probably go with that near the end of the year with the rear disc conversion in one go once i save up the cash.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      bolt on parts are a limited solution to stop sway, if you really want to ad rigidity, you need to gusset the corners..

like the 4 corners of the roof. you can do the tops of the pillars, the bottom of the pillars, engine bay fire wall, rad support, trunk floor, etc..

you can also seam weld the under body structure where the suspension components attached.

Thanks
      Im going to have a word with the local guys see how much they might do an entire roll cage for on the inside... Im sure that would do the trick...
      but knowing these guys i might aswel buy a whole new car

Thanks
      First Quote ..... £2,0000 LOOOLLLL

wooowww! Ummm yeh im not getting that done in a rush..

I'll wait till closer to the engine swap time before i consider a full cage... For now other solutions it is...

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you need weld in frame gussets:

Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts

scroll down..

then you weld them into all the corners on the roof to reinforce the corners.

The other thing i has seen done, but feel it is controversial. is filling voids,seams, etc with structural foam..
      and i mean things like rocker panels, 1/4 rails, window pillars.. etc. Look it up and make your decision on that one.

You could do this yourself for about $200..

Thanks
      Nice one!

Found this regarding the foam, very interesting...

Increasing Chassis Strength - Expanding Foam

Found some gussets on ebay similar spec in the uk so will defo make a purchase of these possibly next month.

Also thinking to build my own bars to add support, probably not a full cage as i dont have equipment to bend and curve metal, so probably just a bar from side to side with slight chrves maybe and maybe around the back and add some gussets to all that like a bikes frames type, rather than the flat types.

Thanks
      Just went outside and had a look inside my kalos.... Should of done this before.... I dont even hardly need to build anything for the back. I have a rear strut bar from u.r.
      the points at which the seatbelts are bolted up to the pillars at the bottom near the back of the seats subframe is a bolt. And its directly opposite another one on the other side obviously... As they are for the seatbelts and the same applies to the highest bolt for the seat belts again at the top of the pillars, which is just slighlty above my seats, so would still allow my seats to go all the way back if something was attatched side to side and still clear it nicely.
      So for this i've decided im going to just do it easy but pay that bit more and buy another 2 rear struts and hook them up at those 2 points and fab the rest...
      As the rear strut is adjustable itl be simply a matter of a few twists for perfection..

Then for some extra strength a bar from the bottom seat belt point to the strut which bolts up to where the back of the seats catch bit is. And then one from the top again to the back of the seats, and do this on both sides.
      then a bar from the top to the bottom seat belt points, so a mini cage at the back basically...

Summary:
      Lower seat belt points (passenger side to drivers side) u.r rear strut
      Upper seat belt mounting point ( passeneger side to drivers side) u.r rear strut

Passenger side l.s.b.p to passenger side u.s.b.p (custom made)
      passenger side l.s.b.p to passenger side rear strut mounting point (custom made)
      passenger side u.s.b.p to passenger side rear strut mounting point (custom made)

Drivers side l.s.b.p to Drivers side u.s.b.p (custom made)
      Drivers side l.s.b.p to Drivers side rear strut mounting point (custom made)
      Drivers side u.s.b.p to Drivers side rear strut mounting point (custom made)
      Last edited by M33EVL; 08-01-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Thanks
      Just ordered my rear struts to use for connect the two points on the pillars at the seat belt mount points.
      So they will be coming in 6 weeks time along with my front and rear lower anti roll bars... CANT WAIITT

By that time most my exterior apart from the roof should be near enough done awaiting paint.. So will take her for a good spin around the block and see how she holds then... Might buy some metal bars probably 16-19mm thick to make the extra bits i spoke of.

Thanks
      all bars are hereeee

but im thinking to do the suspension now as well whilst im going to be under there as to install the rear bar i need to get a plate that sits under the sprint..

so im thinking to go the coil over root with adjustable dampening.

so i hear a lot about the kyb's but are they adjustable?

and if not what is available that is adjustable? also within a decent price range... because lets face it its a kalos not a skyline so spending £1000 on coil overs isnt reallllly justifiable... lol so something up to about £500'ish maybe a lil more if its REALLLLLY worth it and its like the bee's knee's.