•  

Thread: Roll Cage

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Roll Cage

Ok so im almost finished brazing all the seems in my interior and i notice the massive pile of steel rods in the back of the shop, so i get a brilliant idea im gonna build a basic little roll cage. The exact design is not final yet but i do know its all gonna bolt in and its gonna be powder coated to match the exterior of my car. The main hoop will hug the B piller and the secondary hoop will be just behind the C pillar with two stringers bracing at the very back depending on where i can find strength in the chassis.

There will be two laterals contouring the roof and prolly a diagonal between the stringers or possibly an X, now if anyone knows the rules about having a roll cage in a street car for canada lemme know. Dont waste my time with what you think you know, i cant seem to find anything online but as far as i know if it doesnt obstruct your view or in anyway impedes safty its legal but i would like to know for sure so your assistance is appreciated.

And to any of you out there that are fabricating something to add power or more importantly force the car to handle better send me an email at Aveo_Tuner@Hotmail.com i am interested in just about everything i can get my hands on. I fabricate most of my own stuff but if someone already has one designed its prolly faster and easier to purchase it, now im not dumb i read the forums with the parts that people have up already but i am VERY busy either at the track the shop or work i am doing everything i can to get our cars noticed and for people to see the potential for solo racing in these cars so posting a link under this topic would save me a ton of time so i thank you all for helping me out.

Here is the link to my car on the domain it has had a few upgrades since the pic but you get the idea http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2346069 as for the turbo it will get finished but not installed because a turbo will never build reliable boost due to the almost complete lack of straightaways, i am sending out the head to be decked 4 angle valve grind port matched intake and exhaust and polished and if i get ambitious i might have the block done so it will accept forged internals from a civic or something whatever fits.

Im always open to ideas so if ya got one id love to hear it keep the rubber side down ladies and gentlemen you tend to live longer that way.

FASTEST AVEO IN ONTARIO

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      holy crap. edit that beast with periods, commas and maybe paragraphs and i will gladly answer
      Designer/Fabricator
      Action RaceFab

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Don't bother with a roll bar. You'll get superior protection from a full 6-10 point roll cage. If you think a full cage is overkill, you don't need the roll bar.

Bolt in cages: don't work when you need them the most. A real cage should start with all the mounting points being reinforced by seam welding plate steel onto them (front stut towers, floor at the bottom of the C pillars, rear shock towers), with the bars seam welded onto these.

Roll cage in a street car: terrible idea. You smack your head off a bar without a helmet on and you go brain dead (even with padding). I see no point in having a road car that I have to wear a helmet to drive.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks
      im not putting a full cage in to avoid the weight it brings im adding one to get past tech inspection and to add rigidity to the car
      FASTEST AVEO IN ONTARIO

Thanks
      ugh, wrong reasons. I cad design and test all of mine through FEA. They exist for safety only.
      Designer/Fabricator
      Action RaceFab

Thanks
      yes but THEY DO ADD RIGITY to the car
      FASTEST AVEO IN ONTARIO

Thanks
      yes but THEY DO ADD RIGITY to the car
      Only if you put the cage in the right place.

If you are willing to sacrifice most of the back seat space you can put in a square Z cage or square X right behind the front seats, then 2 bars going from the top on the celing down to the A pillars. It should keep your head clear (cept in roll overs)...

However, in all honesty, if you are going to go with a roll cage, you kind of have to use a helmet, because if you step up your car's protection, you have to step your body protection up too or be very sorry when the unfortunate happens...

That's just how it works.

Also, as far as I know, most drag racing facilities that allow public dragging, you only need extra protection if you can push a 13 sec run or better, and usually only a helmet is needed, like for performance street cars (mustang, corvette ect.). If you are going for a 9 sec run or better then you will need a cage, helmet, racing seats, 4 point harness ect.

I found out when I did the "run what you brung" at Firebird and raced my car just to get a picture of what it can do. Turns out the standard Aveo can do a late 17 to early 19 sec runs. I don't believe a turbo alone could push it to 13 with the standard engine. Also that's just for dragging, I don't know about course racing.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks
      I am not arguing that fact. They are in fact a tube-frame structure. However, the rule books state they only exist for safety. It's up to the installer to take advantage of a forced weight gain by placing tubes in the right place to add rigidity.
      Designer/Fabricator
      Action RaceFab

Thanks
      well as it stands i dont have anything from the front seats back and i dont think ill put the rear seats back in at any time other than the deafening sound of my exhaust (no muffler) and the fact that no interior makes it sound like your riding in a soda can having no interior isnt that bad lol

FASTEST AVEO IN ONTARIO