•  

Thread: Wide Arch Project (project M33 EVL)

What do you mean there's no turbo? M33EVL's Avatar
      Thanks

Lightbulb Wide Arch Project (project M33 EVL)

hey guys heres another waky one i been working on...
      some will and some wont like this at all.. im pretttty sure...

let me explain WHY before you say its rubbish LOL.

ive done alot to the car and once i fused the two rear bumpers together, the car seems tallish but slim... and im going for a eman agressive racy low down look.. and the only way i could find doing this was lowering the car another 30mm.. i had alredy lowered it 30mm.. so i thought HELL NO. as there is a LOAD of speed bumps all over london.

And i have a nice little trick up my sleeve which you will see later on in the project...
      and i didnt ever think i would say this but im going to be using something from a citroen LOLL!!!

soo wide arch it is... and heres what happened.. im still working on it as we speak.. taking a little longer than expected... i built it from foam then a layer of fiber glass and then filler for the smooth finish..

heres how it looked before the wide arches

Name:  09207.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  94.3 KB

anndddd after

Name:  11066.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  87.9 KBName:  SDC11814.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  84.2 KB

Last edited by M33EVL; 04-03-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      damn! are u gonna put some really wide wheels on it?? bet u got some speacil wheels 2 got with that look! i like it ~very different, london cant handle this Kalos ~ take care
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by oscare003 View Post
      damn! are u gonna put some really wide wheels on it?? bet u got some speacil wheels 2 got with that look! i like it ~very different, london cant handle this Kalos ~ take care
      LOL jokaa ahahah
      umm well i have a few rims in mind... im going to need some spacers one way or another so its going to be a bit of trial and error regaring the rims i guess.. but im going to go for rear discs as well as an upgrade.. so once i do that then im going to look more in to rims. as i'll be upgrading the front discs too like xiogary did.
      urghh soo much to dooo... so little money to do it with LOL...
      u 2 budyy

Thanks
      ok i have been facing some serious issues with these damn wide arches...

i needed to purchase A FEW sets of wheel spacers... 105mm on each side to be exact LOL...

umm no comment..

the spacers are very safe, built by fk automotive.

the design is such that they bolt on to the previous spacer with a reasonably long screw... so doubt they will pull apart.. although with all that weight i fear for the stock bolts off the drums..

just wondering if anyone knows if theres anyway i can make the car safer as i have a bad feeling something may happen.

im planning to get the ultra racing rear anti roll bar, i assume that may help as it will keep the wheels from slanting or anything more than they need to as it bolts to the bottom of each sides assembly.

any more ideas anyone??

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      in the case of that width, i would weld modify and space out the hub, not the wheel.

Thanks
      Im not sure how i would exactly do that. Maybe now is a good time to also mention i want to change over to coilovers possibly the same setup you have from the vw's and also convert my rear hubs to disc brakes.

Are you suggesting maybe welding something like a spacer before the hub itself? And then attatch the hub to the end of it??? Sorry im not the most mechanically gifted lol.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      The hub bolts to the axle. it would be better to space out the hub, than add stress to the bearing directly.

105mm isn't that much, but you would be better doing it with a solid plate bolted to the axle and then bolting the hub to that.

This would also allow you to convert to discs, just put the oem pattern on the inside to bolt to the axle, and a mk2 vw hub pattern on the outside to accept the spindles of mk2 rear discs (that how my disc brake conversion works, just not 105mm wide.

Thanks
      But thats my worry, all that stress on 4 bolts...
      I dont want to jump from one topic to another but just a quick one... Wouldnt my abs be lost... Unless i drill a hole though the spacer between the axel and hub if i carry the setup as suggested...
      sorry do you happen to have your post regarding your brake setup... I came across it last night and ive just cant seem to find it now :/ i remember you had a link for a conversion kit to in there of some kind.. Might just get a plate fabricated and slap that on between the spacers and vw discs unless i find a decent price for the whole kit somewhere..

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you could machine it to keep abs, but my kit would eliminate it yes, If you machine the wheel out of your hub now, you can tack it to the vw hub and keep it, but you need to make adjustments to the system beyond the ABS, because the stopping efficiency of the discs over the drums will lock up the rear.

Thanks
      Oook no abs it is then... Does that mean no abs overall or donthe front brakes still stay equipped... But then again after upgrading my front discs too im going to have the same issue... Hmmppf...