•  
    Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: No brakes in the morning. It will definitely wake you up more than coffee.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Thanks , I book marked them , in case I need them in the future .

Good luck running the door lock wires . Our Sonic is a sedan , so no experience with hatch backs .

I have watched 5 - 10 minutes of N & A , 2 - 3 times . About all I could deal with .

God Bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      Thanks , I book marked them , in case I need them in the future .

Good luck running the door lock wires . Our Sonic is a sedan , so no experience with hatch backs .

I have watched 5 - 10 minutes of N & A , 2 - 3 times . About all I could deal with .

God Bless
      Wyr
      Break Through!! Well sort of.. It happened again.. no brakes.. But get this. Yesterday I asked my daughter if the brakes fail again to just turn OFF the A/C and see if brings the brakes back. I was going on a hunch. She remembered this and as soon as she found out she had no brakes she turned off the A/C. Sure enough the brakes came right back without doing anything else. She usually starts the car with the a/c on and of course lower rpm on start up. So that's what I got so far... She described as the pedal being hard when it happened this afternoon. When the brakes came back the turned on the a/c again and the brakes worked as always. Opinions anyone???

Thanks
      Will have to think about this .

In times past , much of the HVAC controls were either vacuum or mechanical steel cable controlled . Now , the controls are largely electrical or electronic . I do not know if they use any vacuum , or not . So , I do not know of the controls consume any vacuum or not . Probably not enough to rob vacuum from the booster ?

So , I can not think of anything to relate with what you just described .

I would replace the vacuum hose to the booster . Then I would use the propane trick and chase down any and all vacuum lines & devices you can find and / or get to .

I do not know if this has been asked , but have you gotten a check engine lite or service engine soon lite ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Will have to think about this .

In times past , much of the HVAC controls were either vacuum or mechanical steel cable controlled . Now , the controls are largely electrical or electronic . I do not know if they use any vacuum , or not . So , I do not know of the controls consume any vacuum or not . Probably not enough to rob vacuum from the booster ?

So , I can not think of anything to relate with what you just described .

I would replace the vacuum hose to the booster . Then I would use the propane trick and chase down any and all vacuum lines & devices you can find and / or get to .

I do not know if this has been asked , but have you gotten a check engine lite or service engine soon lite ?

God bless
      Wyr
      I got the hoses ordered. Should be here in a few days. Mean while I will try your idea with the propane touch to find leaks this weekend. As for the check engine light, yes it is on but it only has one code. It's P0420. It's saying that the Catalyst efficiency is below threshold. So two weekends ago I cracked open the cat to see whats going on and I found out that the cat has been gutted. Meaning it looks like it has a cat but when I removed it the cat did not have the insides in it. Basically is just a straight thru pipe. So I ordered a cat so I can pop that in this weekend too.

Thanks
      With the car idling , outside in the fresh air , turn the valve on , on the propane torch , but do not light the torch . So that it is discharging a stream of propane vapor from the tip . Move the tip & the propane along and around all vacuum devices and hoses that you can find & get to .

If you stumble across a vacuum leak , the idea is the propane will be sucked into the engine and burned as a fuel , just like gasoline . This should cause the engine speed to increase .

The propane should not damage rubber or plastic . DO NOT do this while smoking . Be a good idea , the night before ( wait till it id really dark ) , to start the engine and raise the hood . Look for any arcing from distributor , coil or spark plug wires . You do not want to set the propane on fire !

I have gotten the idea that a cat is pretty expensive ? I have never purchased one . Did it look like it had melted down . An engine running rich is suppose to cause them to over heat , big time . Back firing may shatter the ceramic ?

When you get the cat replaced ( are you going to need gaskets? ) you can clear codes by going to your local chain store auto parts supply . Or , remove one battery cable from the battery for several minutes . Or , maybe by removing the fuse feeding the car's computer ?

God bless
      Wyr

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks

Thanks

Wow those are all go tips! Thank you so much! I installed the cat in today. It was $164 from RockAuto plus shipping. Get this.. at the dealership a new cat was $1,256.00. No thanks... As for the old cat it looked nothing was left inside it. I mean it was clean. No traces that anything broke or pieces of anything. Here's the one I got in case anyone is looking for one 2005 CHEVROLET AVEO 1.6L L4 Catalytic Converter | RockAuto
      . Oh and yes you are going to need gaskets. Mine came with two rings one for each end of the cat and 6 studs and bolts. Car sounds different no. No more ringing sounds when idling or accelerating. I kept the old cat and tossed in the my shed.
      Last edited by jamesd; 05-22-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
      Well I sprayed the coils and spark plug wires with water and all is good. No visible park at all and I made sure I did this in the dark too. I pretty much soaked the wires and coil packs. All set for the next test tomorrow.

Thanks
      On the youtube how-to videos , there is a lot of good info . But try to watch several on your particular subject . Most of the presenters are pretty good , but a few , not so much .

Good luck with the vacuum testing . Did you get your new booster vacuum hose ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      On the youtube how-to videos , there is a lot of good info . But try to watch several on your particular subject . Most of the presenters are pretty good , but a few , not so much .

Good luck with the vacuum testing . Did you get your new booster vacuum hose ?

God bless
      Wyr
      No the hoses will not be in until Friday of this week. It happened again today while at school, no brakes and she tried turning off the a/c and did very little to help the problem this time. She shifted in neutral and she said the braking had returned back. At this point it could be just coincidence. I am going to try to do the propane torch thing today and see how it goes. Hopefully I will find something. It does seem like a vacuum leak but it's very odd.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast