•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stumpy's In Depth Guide to Replacing the Stock Stereo in a 2009 Aveo5 base model

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
      Well, I got the XDVision radio in and I think I'll be taking it back out. It works ok, and looks good, but it doesn't pick up radio stations worth crap. The stocker is much better in that regard. Looks like I'll have to splurge for a better radio.
      One mistake I made on my 2010, was that I never hooked up the wires for a "powered antenna". I thought, "pffft, I don't have a power antenna!" But our antennas are powered. I'm not sure if that's for all years, but for like a year I thought it was just my JVC was lousy at picking up stations, especially AM. Until I read some random comment on the internet about a Golf or Jetta having a powered antenna, and the difficulty pulling in stations if you don't hook it up. This may not apply to you, but I'd hate to see you go through the trouble if that's all it was.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thanks for the info...I did not know that. Although I did connect the power antenna wires. I probably exaggerated the quality of the reception...it picks up "ok", and to be truthful, the stations that it doesn't pick up, that the stock radio does, I can't always pick up in my other vehicles. But I would like to be able to have a radio that picks up as well as the stock radio.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Ok gotcha. I ALWAYS recommend going with a better brand name when it comes to this stuff. It'll cost a few extra $, but in my opinion, it's well worth it.

That being said, while we can knock factory radios for being pretty lame, they ARE built to last several years. Which can't always be said about modern electronics. And they're built to do what they do pretty well, such as bringing in weak AM signals for instance.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      What are some of my options to add a radio - head unit with the ability to display OBD2 data on its screen. I have a low priced OBD2 scanner that displays data on an Android tablet or cell phone via bluetooth.

One of my OBD2 devices was automatically updated and now when I drive the car, the data transmission to my tablet freezes.

I was thinking OBD2 data on a radio (sorry old school term) on a screen would be like virtual instrument gauges, similar to what cars used come with, only more.

Last edited by OG-Lou; 07-20-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12