•  

Thread: new guy with a base model looking to tune...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

new guy with a base model looking to tune...

So I just picked up a 2010 aveo5. Thing is totally base model. No ac, no power anything, no spoiler, no rims, no sunroof, no tint, no cd player or sound system. It's just victory red and manual. I've always owned camaros and grand prixs, so needless to say, this wasn't my first choice for a new car. Actually it was pretty much my only option thanks to my credit. I was reluctant to take it, but it was the smart choice. Brand new, warranties and all. No miles on it. Great gas mileage, cheap insurance, low payments. Great credit builder. I've had it about a month now.

It's a fun little car, but it could definitely use some building. I see potential in its styling and driveability. It could be a great tuner...except for one problem...I CAN'T FIND ANY PARTS!!!

Rims, tail lights, and a factory spoiler. That's it. So if anyone is in the process of building and tuning and has some tips, ideas, or knows where to find parts, both styling and performance, please feel free to share.

Happy driving!

Thanks
      Ha - the lack of Aveo aftermarket finds another victim!

Actually, there are some creative & resourceful members here who can point you to some options.

Welcome to the forum.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ebay for rims, gmpartsdirect for a spoiler (or dealer since it only oem), and no taillights yet, make your own?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Rims spoiler and tail lights are all I have found so far, its everything else that I can't find. Body kits, performance upgrades, etc.

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      a little bit of thought and resourcefullness goes ALONG way and ALOT of patience. I pieced together a little stereo over the course of a year and now have a system I love. my aveo had a factory lip spoiler which didnt allow me to use my bike rack, so after several months of browsing ebay I finally found a small aluminum hatchback spoiler I liked for $60 I ordered it and had it paintmatched the color of my aveo. Spend alot of time reading through the posts on here, even browse through cardomain.com and you can find ideas and products that can easily be adapted.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Doesn't help that in '09 they got a brand new engine, on the flip side it also does as the engine in there now is an Opel derivative that is used in other vehicles not just in North America. I'm still trying to figure out how everything fits together in terms of the gm engine family but I have learned quite a bit from the guys here in a very short time. For example the 1.6 in our vehicles was used in the Vauxhall Corsa VXR and produces 148hp (turbo) versus our measly 108hp. They do look like the same engine at least but still trying to find out what is different mechanically. Anyway long story short, the nice thing about GM is they tend to part bin a lot of things (I suppose it can be a colossal failure too) and we just need to figure out what they borrowed and what can be changed to make things better!

Oh and....enjoy: Chevrolet Aveo Aftermarket rear sway bar,Stabilizer bars,anti roll bar,front sway bar,anti sway bar,replace sway bar they fit our chassis.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Crash, I feel your pain. I've been through several different vehicles in the last 10 years, much to my credit scores downfall. After I crashed my Civic, like you, I found myself "stuck" getting this vehicle. The civic was paid off but even with the pay out from the insurance company, I could not afford a new civic or even a fit for that matter. Anyways, I would definitely recommend lowering it. It handles way differently and almost feels sporty. At least I can say I own this car outright.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      dude u can do a custom everything...
      check out my ride..