•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM cd-player compatibility across model years

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

OEM cd-player compatibility across model years

This is a follow-up to my previous post on factory/OEM vs aftermarket. It's a slightly different question so I've made it a separate post:

There are several of OEM cd/mp3 units for sale on Ebay from 2006 (head unit models AGC 5380TA & AGC-2380TA) and some from 2005 (head unit model AGC-6181TA).

The question: The 2005 & 2006 models look identical. Are they actually identical (even though they have different model numbers). And more importantly, will they work in a 2008 Aveo?

It looks like there is actually a newer and slightly different looking unit in the 2008 & up Aveos but I haven't been able to ascertain the model number of that one yet.

I know a dealer can probably help with this but my experience with dealers is varied. Some of them are more then willing to help with questions like these, others can hardly be bothered if they aren't going to make anything on the transaction.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: OEM cd-player compatibility across model years

Pete, I posted an answer in your other thread, but this one is a little different. When I ordered my stereo (I have an 06 hatch) it came in with a wiring harness that was identical to the one that came with my father's stereo (his is an 08 Aveo5), and the plug in the back looked identical, so I'd assume it's safe to say they're compatible. For getting a code to unlock it (if it is locked) you might need to have the original VIN, not sure though (I had to look into it when I was thinking about getting one of those CD players myself, but heard that the sound quality is not all that great).
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

2005 had a lock on the Radio, 2006 didn't. Get a 2006 if you can.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

I posted this question under the other topic, (Factory vs. Aftermarket), although it is actually more appropriate to this thread:

My car is an 08 Aveo with the single-DIN type connector: I would like to buy one of the Aveo OEM head units that have an Aux-In jack but all of the ones I' ve seen with the Aux-In jack seem to be the double-DIN type.

Can anyone tell me whether it is feasible to cut off the single-DIN plug (or buy one online) and solder it onto the Double-DIN cd-player from a different Aveo? It should be straightforward, shouldn't it? Or is there some reason that it might not work?

(See this link for the photos. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27668 )

Thanks

Anybody have an answer to this? (See previous post).

My car is a 2008 Aveo hatchback that takes single DIN. I want to use one of the newer CD players that has Aux-In. They all seem to have the double-DIN connector.

I'd just like to know if it would work to re-wire a double-DIN connector cd-player onto a single-DIN connector.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

its not the connector that is din or double din. din is the determined size of a radio, basic size of an aftermarket radio. the newer oem radios have a face 2x the size of that, so it is a double din radio.

the plug on the back is going to be either the earlier style or newer. based on your dash, i would say you have the earlier harness.

this is the early 2004-2008ish plug (old dash), it is white and one connector?:

this is the later 2008 & up (newer dash) plug, it is black, and has two connectors:

you need to just pull your radio and they buy an oem radio that has the same plug on the back.
      you can put a double din in your dash, but you will loose the little cubby under the radio.

Thanks

Thanks for responding and setting me straight. I was mistaken about one thing. I thought 'DIN' referred to the style of connector. -- There actually is such a thing as a 'DIN connector' but it's an old fashioned connector used for Mics.

I would like to install a radio/cd-player with Aux-In. My connector is the single plug type. The problem is that all the OEM radios that have Aux-In seem to be the double-connector type. (I've been checking Ebay for over a week.) So I can't just buy an OEM unit and hook it up as easy as 1-2-3.

So my question is, if I buy one with the double-connector, can I re-wire it, soldering the double-connector onto my radio, using the wiring diagram. Or is there some reason that wouldn't work?

I know I could also go with an aftermarket unit and possibly even get better sound, but they're more of a target for theft, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      its not the connector that is din or double din. din is the determined size of a radio, basic size of an aftermarket radio. the newer oem radios have a face 2x the size of that, so it is a double din radio.
      the plug on the back is going to be either the earlier style or newer. based on your dash, i would say you have the earlier harness.
      this is the early 2004-2008ish plug (old dash), it is white and one connector?:

you need to just pull your radio and they buy an oem radio that has the same plug on the back.
      you can put a double din in your dash, but you will loose the little cubby under the radio.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-07-AVEO-CD-MP3-AM-FM-RADIO-/390185098690?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash= item5ad8d81dc2#ht_2974wt_689

Thanks, I just emailed the seller to ask if that unit has the single-connector. So far, all the units with Aux-In that I've seen on Ebay have the double-connector in back.

Thanks

Hy Guys..

I' searching an OEM MP3 PLAYER for a Chevrolet Kalos/Aveo 2005, that support oem steering whell mounted control.
      In this moment i have the original Blaupunkt CD PLAYER with steering whell mounted control but is CD PLAYER and i want an MP3 PLAYER.
      You can sugest me any models?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast