•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermostat housing broken, and "potential" blown or cracked head gasket! HELP

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      However, the dealership did the compression test and they said the pressure is low but they can't conclude this is for sure the head gasket… They changed the spark plugs, and didn't mention anything.
      They said they need to tear down the engine to conclude if the head gasket is ok.
      What do you guys think???

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      First off, no way you would let them to tear the engine down to check if the head gasket is bad. I can't even imagine any mechanic saying something like that, because pulling the head means a new head gasket will need to be installed regardless if the current one is good or bad.
      How is it running now, since the T-stat was redone? Does the engine misfire, or is there any loss of power? Is the check engine light on? Any white smoke coming from the tail pipe after the engine is warmed up?
      If none of those things are happening and it's running well, you can monitor the coolant and oil level and quality yourself, and get some idea if there are any engine problems that aren't showing up yet externally.
      However, if any of those things are happening, then sooner or later you will need to take it into a shop. A bad head gasket can probably be confirmed by doing a coolant combustion gas test, along with a leak down test.

Thanks
      Thanks avguy!

I agree!!! I didn't let them do that, and I took my car back against their consent. But you got it, they wanted to tear down the engine to force me to change the head gasket, and wanted to charge me $2000!!!
      Even when I had some overheating issues, I didn't have any of the symptoms of a blown or cracked head gasket, that's why I didn't buy it… All my fluid levels were at max level, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant, no white smoke…etc and when my car was overheating, a temporary fix was to turn ON the heat...

Anyway, since the thermostat is working correctly, my car is not overheating anymore and is running fine, and I am checking fluid levels regularly. But, I may do a coolant combustion gas test to make sure, and to prove the dealership that their diagnosis was wrong.

However, I hope it's not a little crack, that will evolve in head gasket issues. Does this compression test can detect early stage of head gasket issue? I know also that this test can also be due to other issues, and is very subjective to how the technician does it.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      First off, no way you would let them to tear the engine down to check if the head gasket is bad. I can't even imagine any mechanic saying something like that, because pulling the head means a new head gasket will need to be installed regardless if the current one is good or bad.
      How is it running now, since the T-stat was redone? Does the engine misfire, or is there any loss of power? Is the check engine light on? Any white smoke coming from the tail pipe after the engine is warmed up?
      If none of those things are happening and it's running well, you can monitor the coolant and oil level and quality yourself, and get some idea if there are any engine problems that aren't showing up yet externally.
      However, if any of those things are happening, then sooner or later you will need to take it into a shop. A bad head gasket can probably be confirmed by doing a coolant combustion gas test, along with a leak down test.

Thanks
      Don't do anything now if it's running fine - just continue to carefully monitor the fluids for quality and level. If you feel that you have to do something else, just take it back to your most recent shop and have them do another compression test, in order to verify that comperession isn't low like this rip-off stealership told you it was.

Thanks
      Well, to me my car is fine because there is no symptoms of head gasket issue at all. I just would like to go back to this dealership with the proof that their diagnosis was wrong, and ask for some compensation. They were not even able to diagnose that the thermostat was bad!!! I can't believe it!
      Do you have any tip to try to get something from them? 😉

Thanks so much for your advices!

Don't do anything now if it's running fine - just continue to carefully monitor the fluids for quality and level. If you feel that you have to do something else, just take it back to your most recent shop and have them do another compression test, in order to verify that comperession isn't low like this rip-off stealership told you it was.

Thanks
      You would unfortunately have no success in trying to get any refund on a diagnostic fee. You can use this as a lesson to never go to a dealership in the future for service unless you're relatively certain the work will be covered by warranty, or if an independent shop tells you the dealer has some proprietary equipment which is required and not available to others. Find a good shop (perhaps the third one you went to), and stick with them.

Thanks
      Yes, I guess you are right. They won't admit they were wrong. As you said, it's a great lesson, and I am so happy that I didn't believe their bull**** and let them tear down my engine! It would have been a rip off of $2000, that would have not even fix the overheating issue since they were not capable to see that the thermostat was bad!
      Anyway, end of the story! I will check regularly my car, and yes I will stick with the third shop: they are vey knowledgeable and cheap! They do customizing so they know engines even better than certified rip-off dealerships!
      Another question: they turned OFF my oil light before I left because they couldn't explain why this light was ON, do I need to go back to the dealership to turn it back ON? I am checking oil everyday, and everything is fine.
      Also, my running lights light goes ON and OFF, how can I fix that?
      Thanks!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sweetygirl2312 View Post
      ... Another question: they turned OFF my oil light before I left because they couldn't explain why this light was ON, do I need to go back to the dealership to turn it back ON? ...
      What exactly had the oil light been doing? Was it a brief flicker only at start-up and then off? Or was it on continuously? And what else did the shop say about it? Did they at least do an oil pressure test? And did they "turn off" the light by pulling a fuse?
      The oil light is there to warn of a potentially very serious low pressure condition. Aside from very low oil level, the most common reason for the light to come on is an oil sender which has gone bad. Now that's not serious at all, but unfortunately the light being on could also be a true low pressure condition, and this idiot light provides no distinction between these two vastly different problems.
      So if you don't know anything aside from what you already posted, you need to call them and ask for the information that I posted above. Frankly, because of what a true low pressure condition would result in, an oil light being on would make me feel like throwing up, and I'd want to get it figured out before driving another mile. And I would never, ever just turn off the light.

Thanks
      Oh sorry!!! It was not the oil engine light but the "Check Engine Light", it turned ON continuously when I was about to leave the dealership, so when I went back, he checked the oil level, and it was at max level. He had no idea what was the problem, and said "I am going to turn it off for now to make you feel better, but it may come back!!!". What a great way to fix the problem!!!
      However, I have just checked and the light is ON when I just turn ON the ignition without starting the engine, so that means it's working. I have no idea what he did to turn it OFF.
      I check oil and coolant everyday before starting my car: the oil level is at max, but for the coolant it's hard to see if the level stays the same, I don't see any max level mark. It is normal that the coolant evaporates a little bit right?

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion about the light!

What exactly had the oil light been doing? Was it a brief flicker only at start-up and then off? Or was it on continuously? And what else did the shop say about it? Did they at least do an oil pressure test? And did they "turn off" the light by pulling a fuse?
      The oil light is there to warn of a potentially very serious low pressure condition. Aside from very low oil level, the most common reason for the light to come on is an oil sender which has gone bad. Now that's not serious at all, but unfortunately the light being on could also be a true low pressure condition, and this idiot light provides no distinction between these two vastly different problems.
      So if you don't know anything aside from what you already posted, you need to call them and ask for the information that I posted above. Frankly, because of what a true low pressure condition would result in, an oil light being on would make me feel like throwing up, and I'd want to get it figured out before driving another mile. And I would never, ever just turn off the light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12