•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 04-09 engine interchange (thermostat housing cracked - engine overheated)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

04-09 engine interchange (thermostat housing cracked - engine overheated)

I have a 05 aveo blew a headgasket and took it apart the cylinders are pitted for just two days. of sitting. The problem is my mom got the car so hot it stalled and concerned abt wasting money on the headgasket and then the bottom end smoking and going out. I think the wise thingto do is put a used motor in it i was looking and as far as engines 04-05 are the same and then the years of 06-08 are the same. And the newer are almost half the price. What is the difference with the newer motors in a older car besides the drive by wire TB. I have read that people have had p0300 ses lights after changing motors if its just a simple case relearn or other conflicts in years. Thanks for any info

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      everyone who has had the p0300 light hasnt fixed it yet, so no one can tell you for sure (i can't since they haven't reported it back).

there are minor differences in systems otherwise, but the <08 engine fits. odds are the head is just and the block is good though. aluminum heads warp A LOT faster than the block would warp. but you need to be concerned, how did it overheat? if she dumped the coolant into the oil pan and washed the bearings you might as well do the whole engine. Pitting in the cylinders when sitting is typical though, moisture on raw metal = rust. you can clean it with wd40 and a rag, the put oil in the cylinder and crank it over slowly to let the rings cut it clean.. low buck hone job.

Thanks
      Well the plastic thermostat housing broke and she drove it 15 miles till it wouldnt go anymore. I changed the oil and added some restore additive to it cause it was putting blue smoke out. The oil was burnt so bad it smelled like kerosene .I did the wd 40 thing already and some pretty deep pits in it. Im wondering if there are more teeth on the crank reluctor wheel? on older or newer and thats the problem
      Last edited by roughneck427; 10-15-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      would have to compare the part numbers for the crank and sensor, thats about the only way you would know for sure. I highly doubt it was changed, but if it was it would have been during the drive by wire change.

Thanks
      i checked autozone.com and the crank sensor looks the same but are different part numbers. Gonna look into the reluctor wheel thing.

Thanks
      Well i checked at work both newer and older engines both have a 58x reluctor ring on the crankshafts camshafts are the same as far as signal to pcm. The only difference in newer to older is the crank sensor part numbers im going to get both at the autoparts and see if there is a depth difference. I think ill go ahead and get the newer motor and i will post up the results how it goes

Thanks
      When I put my new engine in I tried both sensors. Neither worked. They look slightly different, but dimensionally they look the same.

Thanks
      So you never got rid of the ses light???

Thanks
      I haven't had the crankshaft relearn procedure done yet.

Thanks
      ok well i have acess to a modis scanner at work and i have tuning software for LS1 stuff with EFI live and tunercat. Though i havent tried to see if i can connect with the scanner part i know they dont support any tuning support for this pcm yet. What code were you getting?? also i looked at a schematic the knock sensors are different too

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast