•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '04 Aveo Hatch - blown head gasket - drive until it dies or sell now?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

'04 Aveo Hatch - blown head gasket - drive until it dies or sell now?

My sister bought an '04 Hatchback for $300 with 120k miles from a friend. Spent another $600 or so to get a couple tires, new windshield and work (unsure what) to get it through yearly state inspection in Virginia (it passed). Check engine light came on and her mechanic says the car has a blown head gasket. She has very limited funds and cannot afford the heavy repair cost. Should she sell it now (with full disclosure) and try to get her money back out of it or drive it until it completely dies and then sell it? I'm thinking sell now.

Last edited by Rob D; 04-03-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      She should at least have it looked at by another shop, and ask what OBD code(s) was set. Our Aveos are notorious for oil leaking from the valve cover gasket, and someone might just guess that the HG is on the way out, by the amount of oil that drips down the block. The HGs on these engines don't often blow, unless there is an overheat (which does sometimes happen due to hairline cracking in the stupid plastic thermostat). The CEL could be caused by something much less serious, so it's definitely worth getting another professional opinion, especially if it's basically running fine.

Thanks
      If the headgasket is bad its probably running noticably worse than before. If it isn't running bad just bring it to an autoparts store and have the codes read and tell us what the codes are.

Thanks
      Here are some notes from my sister's mechanic:
      SOME CODES: DCTs, PO3OO, PO700, P1781
      ENGINE MISFIRE(A VALVE SEALING CONCERN) It's sluggish on hills and highways

Here is the info:
      (NEEDED)
      HEAD GASKET SET
      VALVE COVER GASKET
      INTAKE VALVES
      EXHAUST VALVES
      VALVE SEALS
      (SOME OTHER COSTS)
      SPARK PLUGS
      REMOVE CYL HEAD TO REPLACE ALL VALVES AND SEAL
      DIAGNOSE ENGINE WITH SCAN TOOL
      MACHINE SHOP LABOR(DONE IN AN OUTSIDE SHOP) $1,000

Thanks
      Was this everything the mechanic wrote? Maybe he did a compression/leak down test to diagnose the valve problem - IDK. But, if so he should have noted that, along with compression numbers. If not, it's nothing but a guess and could just as easily be spark plugs,wires, coil, or a bunch of other, relatively inexpensive things. But regardless of that, the thing that jumps off the page from this information is the P0700, which is the non-specific transmission code. It means that one or more specific codes were set, and are available via a scan tool capable of reading the TCM. This code means that there is a reasonable chance the transmission is toast, and will also need to be replaced. It's a major disservice to list a 1,000 repair estimate without mentioning that there may also be another 2K or so needed for a tranny replacement (in fairness, perhaps he did mention that to her).
      It might be worth calling a couple transmission shops in your area and ask what they charge to read TCM codes, and give a diagnosis. There is a good chance the end is near for this Aveo, because it's almost definitely going to be a fairly big $$ tranny/solenoid repair. And unfortunately with these codes, no one will buy it, and she will only get salvage value for this poor thing . So the final answer will probably be just choose the drive-it-till-it-dies option, and then take whatever the boneyard is willing to give for it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you have two things to think about here:

1. with that list of "needed" repairs, it would not be running well enough to drive until it dies. it would be dead.

2. even if all those repairs were necessary, can she "cash out" and get another car for less than the $1000 difference? Or is she going to give up on owning a car?

in my opinion, with those specific codes, here is what to do. Start the car and let it idle. watch the temp just incase the head gasket is actually bad. But mist water out of a spray bottle onto the spark plug wires and coil pack while it is running (don't touch anything) it is best to do this in the dark so you can easily see the sparks. This car mostly needs wires, and potentially a coil pack. An easy repair you could attempt yourself, and costs less than $100.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      you have two things to think about here:

1. with that list of "needed" repairs, it would not be running well enough to drive until it dies. it would be dead.

2. even if all those repairs were necessary, can she "cash out" and get another car for less than the $1000 difference? Or is she going to give up on owning a car?

in my opinion, with those specific codes, here is what to do. Start the car and let it idle. watch the temp just incase the head gasket is actually bad. But mist water out of a spray bottle onto the spark plug wires and coil pack while it is running (don't touch anything) it is best to do this in the dark so you can easily see the sparks. This car mostly needs wires, and potentially a coil pack. An easy repair you could attempt yourself, and costs less than $100.
      What's your opinion about the P0700? In other vehicles I'm familiar with, this code is more often the kiss of death for the tranny. Are the less costly possibilities for this code more common for Aveos - stuff like sensors, connectors, or wiring perhaps?

Thanks
      Great feedback guys. I sent a note to my sister asking for more details. I recall she said her mechanic said $3000 but I know nothing more. More to come...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      What's your opinion about the P0700? In other vehicles I'm familiar with, this code is more often the kiss of death for the tranny. Are the less costly possibilities for this code more common for Aveos - stuff like sensors, connectors, or wiring perhaps?

on the aveo if the coil pack goes bad, and is misfiring, then the rpm signal to the transmission is lost. and sets the p1781 code.
      the p0700 is a general code that can be set from the car continuing to be driven without the rpm signal. IT does not mean there are no other problems. but with the information provided this diagnosis is accurate. it most likelt need wires and a coilpack.

Thanks
      More feedback just received. Got copy of estimate and talk with shop on phone. They do NOT think the head gasket is toast (my mistake).

They checked plugs wires (saw no arching) and replaced plugs. Car misfires a bit on start up (chug-chug noises for a couple seconds), on hills and a bit on the highway - sister says it feels like the car struggles to find next gear (engine whining). They were going to do a tune up but they noted the codes (PO3OO, PO700, P1781) and found TSB 05-06-01-030D. Shop said this bulletin suggests valve guides and seals need to be replaced (Labor: 700 + Parts: 1500 + Sublet: 1000 = $3200). Before doing a tune-up they contacted my sister and said this could be a $3200 job.

Do you think it's possible new wires and a coil pack could resolve those codes?

We also talked about the tranny - he drove and felt nothing odd with it - maybe the P0700 is occurring because of the misfiring (misfire causing the engine and tranny to be a bit out of synch). Shop also said no signs of oil leaks, no smoking and no overheating. Engine: 4-1600 1.6L DOHC, Trans: AUTO

To me it almost sounds like the shop is just looking at the codes and assuming the TSB is 100% accurate without really knowing what's going on. I trust the shop and think they're reputable. But another opinion might be the next option.

Shop agreed with me that selling now for $1000 (what has been put into it) and buying a used Honda or Toyota might make the most sense (sorry Aveo lovers).

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast