•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug test

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Spark plug test

Sparkplugs.com had been asking people what they have heard/experienced about Pulstar plugs. As some of you may remember, a friend of mine had Pulstar send them a set for his Corvette and he would do a dyno comparison. He ended up gaining 1hp and losing 1tq. Also, the ceramic ended up breaking apart when he was trying to remove them.

Apparently, Plustar had made some changes and are now pushing the fact they increase mileage more so than hp. I informed Sparkplugs.com that I had an Aveo and would be more than happy to record my mileage and do comparison between the Pulstars and the stock Champions.

Well after a few e-mails back and fourth, Sparkplugs.com ended up sending me a set of stock Champions, NGK Iridiums, E3, and Pulstars for the Aveo. And for my trouble, they also sent me a set of NGK Iridiums for my SRT-4 and a $25 gift card. All I asked for was a set of copper plugs for my SRT-4 and they insisted on more. SWEET!

Anyways, I just received all the sets in yesterday and will be tracking my mileage over the next few months.

Thanks

Re: Spark plug test

Initial thoughts:

The Pulstars were alot fancier packaged. If I were to pay $25 per plug, they damn well better look good. They were also the only plugs out of the 4 to come with dielectric grease. Granted, it is only $1 at a local auto place but it is the fact they thought to include it. Also came with instructions and a sticker. One interesting thing about installation is that you are not supposed to use a spark plug socket but instead a standard 5/8th deepwell. Also, the Pulstar instructions are the only ones to include actual tq specs along with dummy instructions (1/4 turn or 1/8th turn after hand tightening). The center electrode is very small. Not small like the Iridium but smaller than the copper.

The NGK Iriduims are what I run in my SRT so there is no surprise with them. Regular packaging with simple 3 picture dummy instructions. Very very small electrode. What I think they need to include is a warning not to gap them using a traditional spark plug gaping tool. The center electrode is so fine, it will break if pressure is applied to it. I was aware of it because I have been using their plugs for years but the regular consumer accustomed to coppers will not know that. Thankfully, Sparkplugs.com writes it on the invoice that comes with it.

The E3s are an odd looking plug. It is the only one that came with a warranty (5yr/100,000mi). Packaging is normal. The center electrode is the regular large size but instead of a single ground electrode, there are 3 that meet in the middle. It is similar to the bosch platinum +2 except for one more arm (obviously) and they all are connected above the center electrode. I dont see how gaping these plugs is possible. These had no instructions at all. Not even dummy diagrams.

Champions are your regular plugs. Packaging is normal. Picture instructions on the back of the box. Nothing really standout about them, they are just regular ass plugs.

Thanks

Pulstar, Champions, NGK, E3

E3

Champion

NGK

Pulstar

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveodude
      One interesting thing about installation is that you are not supposed to use a spark plug socket but instead a standard 5/8th deepwell.
      It's usually best not to use a spark plug socket on any plug. The rubber insert in the top of the the socket will cause the ceramic to crack.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

interesting...
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

The rubber insert in the top of the the socket will cause the ceramic to crack.
      Or, almost as annoyingly, cause the socket to stay on the plug when you get done installing it, which is a pain when the holes the plugs are in are 20 feet deep (ok, a slight exaggeration there.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 07_aveo
      It's usually best not to use a spark plug socket on any plug. The rubber insert in the top of the the socket will cause the ceramic to crack.
      I had never heard of that prior to the Pulstars and I had changed out alot of plugs. Learn something new every day.

Installed the Pulstars just now. I left the rubber in the socket so I could lower the plugs down in there as opposed to dropping them down and hoping they land straight. Once they got started, I switched sockets. I did notice the ceramic area had a larger diameter than the rest of the plugs. Had I used the spark plug socket, I would not have been able to push it far down enough to reach the nut.

Another think I though was odd was the plugs I pulled out. I was under the impression that stock cars used copper Champions. I pulled out the stock plugs and they were NGK V Powers. The original plugs also had pretty decent burn marks around the bottom of the ceramic area.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

good luck with your comparison test and the freebies you recieved!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

looking forward to reading the comparison.

Interested in best MPG.

And torque/hp increases based on the feeling in your pants.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XJCasper
      looking forward to reading the comparison.

Interested in best MPG.

And torque/hp increases based on the feeling in your pants.
      MPG will definitely be recorded.
      Butt dyno will not. Only because there are so many things that can make a car "feel" faster. I dont want to make false claims. Not to mention each plug will be in for a few months. Remembering which car felt faster will be a huge guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast