•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems weaker than my dads...IAT maybe?

Seems weaker than my dads...IAT maybe?

OK so here goes... Im sure you've all read my crappy Internal pop thread.

Well, I drove my dads Aveo with the auto tranny I have the 5 speed, for about the past week while I waited for my new rims (trashed front right rim on pothole, grr)

With his motor in neutral, it seems to rev EVENLY, and quick.
      When I do the same with my motor- it lacks the fast rev of his motor.

I also have a bit of "valve noise" from what I can tell.
      I only have 43k miles, he has 33k... and his motor seems to be running a lot better than mine?

The only mod I have done is an intake pipe and a K&N filter.
      My IAT sensor isn't ALL the way in, but I think its in far enough.
      Could that be the cause? The gasket that came with the pipe for the IAT was REALLY tight, and only allowed me to get about 80% of the sensor in.

I think the light valve noise I have is just because I run it hard, I should probably get my valvetrain checked for valve lash, anyone know what that job will run? $200? $300?
      Would it be a warranty issue if they need adjustment?

Anyway. I am going to try popping out the IAT gasket and put the sensor in further, and tape around it for now.
      If that solves the problem- well hell, I am a moron. But considering much more air is getting in that with stock filter, wouldn't that make up for the sensor not being all the way in and it should run like stock?

If this doesn't work I am taking it in to check it out.
      I was told Intake kits void the warranty, so do I need to reinstall the old airbox and will they be able to tell I had one?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Intakes will not void warranty unless they can prove it damaged the engine. I'd still take no chance and put it back on if you think on bringing it in for warranty repairs on the motor. They could invent anytime and leave you hanging.

If you drive your car hard, it will reduce it's life considerably. Probably why you can hear some valve noise. I'm sure the fact that you don't have the stock intake amplifies the sound.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

That's what I figured- don't take the chance.

What do you define as driving hard? I don't dump the clutch @ 4k RPM, and I don't downshift into 2nd going 60... I just don't drive it like a "granny car". I am not afraid to give it 75% throttle while getting on the highway. That's all I meant by driving hard, because I drive the car, not treat it like it's going to break any day.

Actually studies show hard throttle during breakin actually helps seat piston rings better. I can link you if you like. Mostly they tell you to go easy on it because they don't want you flooring it when cold or overheating it during breakin. If you let it properly warm at idle, give it some hefty twisty roads, but stop to let it cool off every 5 minutes, you can really gain HP.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dpawl
      That's what I figured- don't take the chance.

What do you define as driving hard? I don't dump the clutch @ 4k RPM, and I don't downshift into 2nd going 60... I just don't drive it like a "granny car". I am not afraid to give it 75% throttle while getting on the highway. That's all I meant by driving hard, because I drive the car, not treat it like it's going to break any day.
      Just constantly rev'ing the engine to redline is a form of hard driving. In fact under normal conditions, you shouldn't really exceed 3.5k to 4k rpm. Unless you are passing or in an urgent situation. Constantly rev'ing it past 4k will hurt the engine.

Hehe, if you downshift to 2nd going 60, I suggest speed matching the engine and the transmission...cause that rpm needle will be at the red line and your clutch might even reach in and say thank you!
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      you can throw in an resister in your AIT (very common mod for ricers) and that'll trick it. See if that does anything and if so it's your sensor.

Fog, like I said it isn't like that. I don't redline it all the time, and I normally shift around 3200.

Oh and the downshifting to 2nd @ 60 thing- obviously I wouldn't do that, that's what I said as an example of what I don't do lol.

My girlfriend was learning on my dads old car, went from 2nd @ 4k to 1st... ERRRRRPPPPP stall. lol

Oh and Kirby, I might just try that trick. I did it on my Grand Prix and it did nothing for me, but I didn't have an intake kit on that. Thanks!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      any more info on the resister mod? we have an intake, and the IAT sits in it losely and i think silicone is ugly so i just let it hang there.

i think your dads just seemed to perfom better because he probably doesnt run it as hard as you, thats just IMO

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BigNasty
      i think your dads just seemed to perfom better because he probably doesnt run it as hard as you, thats just IMO
      Or he runs it harder and doesn't have carbon built up on the valves which keep them from sealing properly

clearly put

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast