•  
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie with technical questions

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Newbie with technical questions

Hi, this is my first post, sorry for a long one in advance! I just spent about 2 hours reading a bunch of material on the timing belt change procedure, along with many other threads. We bought my wife a 2004 aveo about 3 or 4 years ago with 70k miles on it. Great car in near perfect condition. It now has 105k miles. Still near perfect condition. I've kept up with oil changes, changed the plugs and air filter once, and plan to do a bunch of maintenance soon. I want to change the timing belt soon, and also the transmission fluid, amongst many other items. I am not a mechanic but am very mechanically inclined and have worked on many cars over the years, just about every job there is to do on a car. I have never done a timing belt on a DOHC engine, however, but think it shouldn't be too bad (seems pretty easy from the very good write ups I've seen here). Here are my questions and thanks in advance for any help:

Timing Belt:
      I've read several write ups on here. I have just few questions and looking for recommendations. Is it recommended to replace the idler and tensioner at the same time as the timing belt? Can anyone recommend a kit? I've seen several and not sure if some are good and some junk. Should I also replace the water pump at 105k miles while I'm in there?

Transmission:
      I've found that the transmission does not have a "servicable filter". Is this correct? So do I just drop the pan, clean, and reinstall? Or is there a way to take the "non servicable filter" off and backflush it with some fresh fluid? Also what kind of fluid does this transmission use?

Other things:
      Does this car have a serviceable fuel filter? If so where is it located? I have quick disconnect tools as I assume it uses these type of lines being a GM.

Does this car have a pcv valve? I can't find one but if it has one would like to change it.

Thanks again, sorry this is such a technical filled newbie post! Want to try to keep this car running great. The only issue we had was a few months ago the plastic thermostat housing broke, good thing the wife knows to pull over when the temp rises! $60 later for an autozone non plastic thermostat housing, and good as new!

Thanks
      bump.....?

sorry to pester, but I'm sure someone has some info? The write ups/how to's I read were great, hard to believe no comments!? lol. The owners manual says "total ATF" trans fluid....I'm not familiar with this...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the timing belt on a dohc is just aligning a set of head pulleys and not just one, if you have done timing belts before this one isnt terribly different.

You should install the water pump at the same time, as well as the thermostat and housing (if it is still plastic).

look to daox's uild thread for pictures of the pcv system, its not necessarily a valve.

in what context was "total atf" ? to me that mean is you were able to drain the system dry, that would be the amount to put in, verses, if you drain whats available in the pan, then you would only put in that amount.

Thanks
      Thanks for the response. I will check out daox's thread. I feel very confident that I can do the timing belt procedure now. I need to figure out which kit to buy (if any are good or bad). Will replace the water pump as well thank you. Tstat housing broke about a month or two ago and I replaced it with the 2 piece metal one from autozone, much better design.

The "total ATF" was the type of fluid that the owners manual called for, such as "dex/merc" or "ATF 4+"...it says "total ATF".....I need to know what type of fluid to purchase...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you mean the line:

Notice: Use of automatic transaxle fluid labeled other than ESSO LT71141 or TOTAL ATF H50235 may damage your vehicle, and the damages may not be covered by your warranty. Always use ESSO LT71141 or TOTAL ATF H50235 labeled automatic transaxle fluid.

those are manufacturers, and part specification numbers if so..

"esso" is exxon company oriented , and "total" is well total oil.. both i believe were oem suppliers.

Thanks
      I'm confused...what does that mean? Does that mean I need to buy the fluid from chevy?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its more of at spec requirement. fluid needs to meet at least specs of that fluid. I think that is because 2004 was a year where the fluid in the aveo (aisin transmission) was different than the other gm cars.. i am sure there are 3-4 aftermarket fluids that meet all those specifications and is better than original by now.

Thanks
      I suppose I should bring the manual to autozone and try to find a fluid that lists all those. If not I'll run by GM, only like 4 qts needed probably anyway as I read in the manual that the total amount held in the trans/TC is like 6 qts or so.

Thanks
      Just did a trans service on my ram, 8 qts for just the service! lol, the whole trans/TC holds almost 17 qts!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast