•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louder engine during acceleration aft oil change

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisu91 View Post
      I had my timing belt replaced in August

I also believe I've tracked down the issue. The shop that did my oil change I guess "checked" everything else, and by doing so, they lost one bolt and broke another on my air filter box. So, I'm going back tomorrow to get that sorted out and hopefully the issue should be resolved. I got the vehicle back at night so I didn't have a chance to look in the daylight until today.
      This is why trust no one but myself to do oil changes. Stay away from the workshop of Mr. Badwrench and his hired chimps...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Having same issue. Need help

Quote Originally Posted by Brian10002 View Post
      Thanks Chrisu91. I had a similar problem on my camry where the guys left the air filter bolts loose. I googled and found this page and after fixing the bolts, the issue was gone.
      so today I was going in to get a simple synthetic oil change. When I arrived the mechanic said I needed a power steering flush exchange and a new air filter. I agreed to have these done with my oil change. After the procedure was done and I got in my car. I started to notice the my car was very loud when I'd accelerate. Sounds of like what's been described above. Almost like a junk ricer Honda with a cut off muffler. . Now when I was at the shop the mechanic told me they had issued with the a screw/bolt that had became stripped and needed to be replaced.. They changed the type of screw all together... That worried me a little bit because I thought maybe there was a reason the prior places used this terrible screw from the past vs now. So back to my issue. I have those loud God awful noises. But I've also noticed that I have the sensor or whatever that prevents me from downshifting. In my aveo5 2011 the car before now since day one wouldn't let me downshift unless I was at a correct speed.. Now after this oil change visit I can downshift at any speeds. I dunno if that has anything to do with a problem.. But it wasn't like this before. Also I get a slight kick delay sound after I start the car and right before it's in idle... I made a call immediately to the car shop and I will be seeing them money. But I'd like some help on what the issue is so that I can explain it to the shop in a way that they can't pin me for something that wasn't my fault. They need to pay for this mistake not me

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Since they replaced the air filter, the most common and easiest mod to get the car louder is a CAI. it eliminates the muffler on the intake. You might have opened up the air box, or cracked the intake pipe to allow the noise to become louder. The screw becoming stripped is kind of common.. but the repair and damage from fixing it needs to be correct as well.

The shifting issue is not something I am familiar with, I have a manual, it shifts whenever I want. But based on the work you had done, I cannot determine that anything should have affected the transmission. Unless them telling you to buy a power steering flush was buying more time because he drained the transmission instead of the engine oil.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Since they replaced the air filter, the most common and easiest mod to get the car louder is a CAI. it eliminates the muffler on the intake. You might have opened up the air box, or cracked the intake pipe to allow the noise to become louder. The screw becoming stripped is kind of common.. but the repair and damage from fixing it needs to be correct as well.

The shifting issue is not something I am familiar with, I have a manual, it shifts whenever I want. But based on the work you had done, I cannot determine that anything should have affected the transmission. Unless them telling you to buy a power steering flush was buying more time because he drained the transmission instead of the engine oil.
      He cracked something.. I assume with that different screw . I have oil all down my driveway this morning.. So that's why it must be louder. What is good valid points and ways I can explain this to prove them it was there fault? I'm going to need a tow truck.. My car probably has no engine oil

Thanks
      I noticed the same issue on my Aveo and after reading this thread I checked the air filter housing - there were 2 loose bolts most likely from the last regular service (oil change, filters etc.). Tightened them nicely and the noise is gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12