•  

Thread: HELP!!! 09 Aveo Sedan loosing power, RPM surging, Stalling.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

HELP!!! 09 Aveo Sedan loosing power, RPM surging, Stalling.

Hey everyone
      I have a 2009 Aveo Sedan. When driving down the road at 40-50 miles per hour I loose power, and tachometer needle bounces up and down. The Engine bogs down like it's not receiving fuel. Applying more pressure to the gas pedal seems to do nothing, until suddenly the car surges forward a high rate of speed.

I have replaced the spark plugs and plug wires, breather hose for gas tank.

I haven't changed the timing belt and I have about 90K on car.

I heard that that the TBS and or TB are a major problem on this car. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem????

Junkveo

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Junkveo View Post
      Hey everyone
      I have a 2009 Aveo Sedan. When driving down the road at 40-50 miles per hour I loose power, and tachometer needle bounces up and down. The Engine bogs down like it's not receiving fuel. Applying more pressure to the gas pedal seems to do nothing, until suddenly the car surges forward a high rate of speed.

I heard that that the TBS and or TB are a major problem on this car. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem????

Junkveo
      you have a 2009, and that was the first year of the Gen III Ecotec engine for both the Sedan and Hatchback; it does not have plug wires, its a Coil on Plug design. but first things first: is the Check Engine light on? if it is, you can go to a local parts house and they can pull any DTCs you may have.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Check engine light has never come on.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Wow very tricky without check engine lights. But clearly there is a problem. I agree with 2010AveoLT and take it to Autozone or Oreilly. They maybe able to pull any pending codes that has not tripped the check engine light yet. I would start with the air cleaner and hose and work my way up to the throttle body. See if it's sticking or dirty and I would even go as far as getting a propane welding kit and a rubber hose and check for vacuum leaks. A small tank from Home Depot is 14 bucks I think. Not a bad thing to have around I think. Look for any loose vacuum hoses suck as the brake booster hose, pcv valve hosed. You didn't mention about misfiring but when you check the spark plugs did you notice any oil in the wells or on the spark plugs?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

HELP!!! 09 Aveo Sedan loosing power, RPM surging, Stalling.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
      Wow very tricky without check engine lights. But clearly there is a problem. I agree with 2010AveoLT and take it to Autozone or Oreilly. They maybe able to pull any pending codes that has not tripped the check engine light yet. I would start with the air cleaner and hose and work my way up to the throttle body. See if it's sticking or dirty and I would even go as far as getting a propane welding kit and a rubber hose and check for vacuum leaks. A small tank from Home Depot is 14 bucks I think. Not a bad thing to have around I think. Look for any loose vacuum hoses suck as the brake booster hose, pcv valve hosed. You didn't mention about misfiring but when you check the spark plugs did you notice any oil in the wells or on the spark plugs?
      There are actually some Powertrain codes that WON'T illuminate the check engine light unless the problem comes back several more times within a certain time period; and as I stressed in MY original post; he has a 2009 which was the first year of the Gen III LXV engine (and my car was the second year of that engine, built in December of 2009) so those spark plug wells SHOULD be dry as a popcorn fart in the middle of this month! But I would look at the intake pipe first, because A) it's a common problem, and B) while replacing my water pump, my own intake pipe tore when I was removing the airbox for more access.

Sent to the Interwebs by a Phone Shaped Apple
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 07-04-2016 at 09:58 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Hahaha.. I have to steal "popcorn farts" from you and work it in a conversation with someone today lol..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesd For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (07-06-2016)

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Junkveo View Post
      Hey everyone

Junkveo
      Hello Junkveo,

We're very sorry to hear you're having such a tough time with your Aveo. Although we are unable to offer technical advice, we would be happy to connect you with a certified Chevrolet dealership. We're available via private message and would need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealer if this is a route you'd like to take.

Jasmine
      Chevrolet Customer Care

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html