•  

Thread: Stalling/Losing Power While Driving

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Stalling/Losing Power While Driving

Hello all! I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as to what the issue with my new Aveo is. I recently (VERY recently) purchased a 2010 5-speed Aveo and have has an annoying issue. Occasionally when I first start the car after it has sat for awhile it will stall. When I restart it however, it will take off and drive like the dream it is. Other times I will drive it for awhile and it will lose power. Once while in fifth gear while driving at a steady 50mph, and once while in third accelerating to approach a stop light. That time I restarted the car and drove the 30 miles home with no issue. So far I have taken it into the dealer and they replaced the air filter (even though it wasn't really needed yet) and cleaned the throttle body. It threw no codes so I am at a loss of my VERY basic car knowledge as to what to suggest next. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thank you so much (:

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      As our cars age this is starting to be a regular problem. Check your vacuum lines and check the air line between the filter and throttle body for cracks.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xintersecty For This Useful Post:

sarahsponda (07-22-2015)

Thanks
      I have seen alot about the O2 sensor being bad. Is this an option?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by sarahsponda View Post
      ... so I am at a loss of my VERY basic car knowledge as to what to suggest next. ...
      I'm assuming from what you wrote you're not planning on DIY repair work on your Aveo. If that's correct, I recommend that you find a good independent repair shop for your next repair attempt. Ask your friends and co-workers for the name of shops they've used and would recommend. DO NOT take your Aveo to Chevy dealerships - they always overcharge, and often underperform. Case in point: you tell them about random stalling, and they hang on a filter and clean the TB. That was a pathetic effort, but also just about par for these outfits. Neither of the things they did is the solution for a random stall. They know that, but this is an opportunity for them to extract a hefty chunk from your wallet, even they don't have a clue what the actual problem might be.

You need to be aware that random, sporadic problems can be REALLY difficult to diagnose, even for a good professional mechanic. Probably the best tool and starting place for something like this would be to connect an OBD scanner capable of freeze frame data stream capture, and drive it until the problem happens again. If you could find a shop where a tech would be willing to drive your Aveo until the problem shows up again and the required data stream is recorded, that would be great. However, you would need another vehicle to drive while all of this is happening.

Your other choice is to wait a bit until the problem starts happening more frequently, thereby becomming easier for a shop to diagnose. But you probably would be uneasy about doing that, because stalling while driving is a really unsettling and potentially dangerous thing for any vehicle to be doing.

Lastly, if you do take it to a shop, don't give them any suggestions about something that you read on the web, or anywhere else for that matter, about what the problem might be. I could give you ten things it might be, and the next guy can give you ten more. Skip all of that and just let them do their job without wasting their time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

sarahsponda (07-23-2015)

Thanks
      The car is still under warranty so I am going to let the dealership I bought it from fix it (if they can) due to it being free of charge to me at this point. Afterwards however, once the issue is diagnosed it will be DIY. Right now I am not overly concerned because it drives so wonderfully any other time, and the engine truly is in good shape, but its annoying and if left alone could become an issue so I want it taken care of early.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'm surprised you received a warranty for a 2010 - is it just a short-term used car warranty, or some type of certified deal? And are you saying they did the air filter and TB cleaning at N/C to you as part of this warranty?

Thanks
      Yes, the actual dealership gave me a short-term warranty for the car. That is why I am taking it back in today so that it gets taken care of right away at no cost to me. I will take it back every other day if I have to until it is corrected. I truly love this car and want to keep it, but this one issue needs addressed. The next time they give it back to me I am going to guarantee that the issue does not repeat by either making sure it is cold started right away, or having them drive with me before I release it as good.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hoping the selling dealership was able to address your vehicle stalling concerns, sarahsponda. We definitely recognize it can be inconvenient to have to go back in for service so soon after purchase. If there's anything further we can do to help please don't hesitate to send us a PM with your VIN and contact info.

Amber N.
      Chevrolet Customer Care

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html