•  

Thread: Loosing antifreeze

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Loosing antifreeze

Hi all: I have a 2006 4 door sedan. Problem is I am loosing antifreeze and don't know where. No leaks or overheating. Any ideas what it could be? I live in Phoenix AZ.

Thanks
      Has it ever over heated? Usually mystery 'vanishing coolant' means you have a gasket problem, or possibly a crack. Pop the coolant tank cap and see if you see any signs of oil or what looks like a milk shake? Are you having to add ounces of coolant, or gallons each time? Is the oil clean?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      Has it ever over heated? Usually mystery 'vanishing coolant' means you have a gasket problem, or possibly a crack. Pop the coolant tank cap and see if you see any signs of oil or what looks like a milk shake? Are you having to add ounces of coolant, or gallons each time? Is the oil clean?
      thanks for your reply. Not overheating, oil is clean no milkshake. Adding low amounts, not gallons. Strange because the car runs fine.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      If your thermostat housing is still plastic, it is very likely it is starting to fail.

What's wrong with my car? frostbyte's Avatar
      Thanks
      I have a 2009 and this has been happening to me for the last 3 years. Antifreeze level would drop an inch or 2 in the overflow after a few weeks. No leaks ( I could find ) nothing on the car or under. Oil was fine and never milky or did I find oily residue in the overflow. Last week at night and it was very cold out -7 , I had the car in the driveway idling . I noticed a very find mist at the time .. like how an exhaust pipe is when u start a car up. I popped the hood and then got a sheet of white paper and held it over the top of the radiator . Sure enough after a few seconds I could see it was antifreeze. The issue I have is that I can not see where its leaking and its leaking such a small amount Im guessing the engine heat is evaporating or cooking the light mist off. This explains why I never saw a leak under the car or on the motor area. Im debating on the Barrs junk they sell. I really do not want to have to mess with a radiator out when its this cold ( Im in Ohio ) . Hope this helps you !