•  

Thread: exhaust manifold wrap

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

exhaust manifold wrap

Ok, so I wrapped the lower half of the CAI with about 5 or 6 layers of aluminum foil, all tight with electric tape... It actually seems to help! I know I can't use electric tape on the exhaust manifold pipes... but what about aluminum foil? the cover-plate appears to be aluminum... anybody try this? I know ppl smoke stuff on aluminum foil, so it's gotta be pretty heat resistant... and as far as pretty, nobody sees it, under the cover (which would also help hold the wrap on... if it doesn't melt.) Any thoughts?

Thanks
      Oh, and on one post, somebody mentioned ceramic paint... does this shield heat pretty well? It seems I read the r-factor of foil was r-19, same as pink insulation, but the paint could be used in several coats... safe for the manifold, though? Thanks for any info!

Hatchbackhilbilly Hatchbackhilbilly's Avatar
      Thanks
      not sure on that one... i'd be curious to try. let me know what you come up with...
      Dude, what kind of car is this?
      A Chevy Aveo.
      Piece of crap....
      Why? because its faster than your brothers civic? or because it gets better gas mileage than your scion?
      -silence-

Thanks
      Hmm... ok, so I'm on my way to home depot to look at paint, and maybe other options... trying to save $50 bucks on exhaust manifold wrap at autozone ... I'll post any updates on this project here!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      real ceramic coating would be better, but ceramic paint does help reflect some heat. not nearly as much, but better than normal high temp paint. Where are y finding R values for header wrap? R value is housing thing i thought..

Aluminum foil would bake off the manifold over time..

Thanks
      Ok, as for your question, rabbit, I haven't found R factor for header wrap... only aluminum foil. And yes, that was while insulating a house (just an interesting fact that stuck with me, and proof of foil's insulative capabilities. ; ) As for the project, it went really well! I have spent the day applying Rust-Oleum high heat (2000 F) enamel spray... It was recommended at the hardware store; it was only $8 bucks, compared to header wrap @ $50 I did several coats, drying inbetween, and then curing as directed (by running the car for certain times, then cooling) ... I only drove it for 30 mins, and then I'm supposed to let it cool completely, but dang! I gunned it a little in first, and was impressed with a noticeable difference! For one, it's gotta help keep the entire engine compartment cooler, and that' gotta keep the wheelwell area (where the intake is) cooler... I am excited to go out and rally some 0-60's on the rural highways... Took some pics! I'll post them under this...

Thanks

I used foil to protect the other parts of the car, rubber gloves soaked with the stuff to get the back, and I used a paintbrush for the second coat... the 1st picture is before painting. 2nd pic after one coat, 3rd and 4th when I was done. I replaced the manifold cover; I thoght about painting it, too, but then I thought that it's function may be to ABSORB heat, not reflect it... so I didn't. I did have to disconnect the recently installed O2 sensor to remove the cover; just the wire part, and that was cool, 'cos I needed to move where the plug was attached (I had it rigged-it was on top of the mount) now it's where it should be, and seriously: the improvement to initial speed (torque? Header wrap claims to raise torque...) was better and more noticable than expected! It makes me want to coat the CAI pipe with it, too! Probably just the outside... right? It's black... it would look cool, but would it get hotter? I think it's only radiant (light) heat that black absorbs... Also, I read something about cold air being more dense than hot air... if the exhaust isn't losing as much heat as it leaves the engine, it seems it could travel at higher velocity... would that be true? I had a TON of FUN doing this...
      Attached Images Attached Images     
      Last edited by Weirdo_Joe; 08-20-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      how did you calculate the temp difference/performance?

do inside and outside the cai.

the hot air question i think has more to do with preventing heat soak than the density/velocity of the air but i'm not "that" technical about the benefits of improving exhaust flow beyond helping the engine breath..

Thanks
      1. Gunning it in 1st.

2. Awesome! Even better! I was afraid the paint, even if properly cured, could chip off and hurt the engine if applied to the inside... so nothing to worry about there?

3. ok... I know preventing heat soak is the #1 goal... just wondering if keeping the heat from the air in the exhaust would benefit in addition to keeping it out of the engine compartment.

As always, appreciate the info! Coating the CAI pipe (maybe spraying the outside of the upper pipe, too... the sensor is sealed in with silicone, and I'd rather not take it off... : )