•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering getting straight piped...

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I replaced the muffler with a WRX muffler, it's a little louder and has a very nice tone to it. If you want to really hear it though, this is not a good option as my modified airbox is louder than the exhaust. It works for me though as I don't hear it going down the highway. It is enough to setup overly sensitive car alarms in parking garages though.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Right now I have 2.5" From the Flex pipe back. It has a deep tone to it. and yes i still need to get a sound clip... or atleast try to get one. After we figure out where to get some headers (besides the DVE ones) I gonna redo it in 2"

2" is supposed to be the best for the car. and the headers are made to go with a 2" exhaust.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      all this talk about the exhaust is kind of starting to sound familiar, like i read this somewhere before-lol. oh well...
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xstevex
      Right now I have 2.5" From the Flex pipe back. It has a deep tone to it. and yes i still need to get a sound clip... or atleast try to get one. After we figure out where to get some headers (besides the DVE ones) I gonna redo it in 2"

2" is supposed to be the best for the car. and the headers are made to go with a 2" exhaust.
      +1.

2.5" is probably big even without headers, but 2.25 isn't easy to come by. 2.5" def. seams to big with a full exhaust system.

Btw I have a good feeling headers aren't too far away

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      OK I talked it up with the custom muffler guy, asking questions, finding out options and the "better" choice he says is probably having a resonator/glass pack with a magnaflow muffler and some custom piping.

Does anybody have something like that or has experience or has seen anything like that? He says it sounds pretty nice, not like farting in a tin can but not deep or throaty, but it's nice. Freeway/cruising sounds are "nice", a little louder than stock (obviously) but not high pitched or "Civicy".

Is he right?
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

if you want to hear what it sounds like straight, just unbolt the axle back flange and wiretie the rear section out of the way so the muffler wont act as a baffle. when i used to have my aveo, all i had for exhaust was the stock cat and the muffler at the rear, and when i unbolted it, it was just plain loud, theres no other way to describe it. even my civic; just the exhaust manifold and cat attached isnt as loud, mabye because my car is a sohc.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      OK I talked it up with the custom muffler guy, asking questions, finding out options and the "better" choice he says is probably having a resonator/glass pack with a magnaflow muffler and some custom piping.

Does anybody have something like that or has experience or has seen anything like that? He says it sounds pretty nice, not like farting in a tin can but not deep or throaty, but it's nice. Freeway/cruising sounds are "nice", a little louder than stock (obviously) but not high pitched or "Civicy".

Is he right?
      didnt i say that earlier? lol no matter, i just got my car straight-piped from the cat, keeping the piping the same size as stock. its really freakin loud and obnoxious- I LOVE IT! its a lil raspy for me but all in all i love it. and i an definetly feel a lil more oomph when she gets goin. i ca feel the extra go around 2800 rpm. i think when i get an extra 200$ i will get it repiped from the cat with 2 in. piping. but for now i am very happy with it.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      I went back to the stock exhaust today because my straight pipe setup broke at the welds, i guess they didnt do it strong enuf, i gotta say im gonna keep it that way for a while, feels good to hear the radio again lol
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      In case you guys are wondering, I made up my mind on what I'm gonna do.

I'm not going to straight pipe it, instead I'm going to get a muffler, but it's not going to be a cherry bomb, or a Honda Civic fart can, I'm going to get a Flowmaster muffler custom fit to the aveo (It doesn't fit as is in the Aveo right now so I might have some work done around it or get a smaller fuel tank to fit it). I'm going to get a Flowmaster muffler, specifically a 60 series.

Why? Because the 60 series is specifically made for small displacement 4 cylinder/sport compact vehicles. Most people get a 40 series muffler but it sounds like crap cause it's the most common muffler you see at a muffler shop. In fact the guy I talked to has never seen a 60 series muffler before, all he sells are 40's.

In other words... Lazy people get 40's and sound like a Civic ricer.
      Smart professional people get 60's that sound better.
      (Go to the flowmaster website, check both mufflers out and look at their sound clips to see what I mean).
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks
      i got my mufflers to be unique. who has another aveo with dual canisters? i havent seen one yet, so its not all about laziness, its about looks too. an exhaust can be the focal point of the rear car. looks + great sound can be hard to acheive if you dont know what your doin. sounds like you do so, post pics and sound clips when your done!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast